PDA

View Full Version : Elavil aka amitriptyline

Oluwa
04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Hello....

Elavil does it cause weight gain because it increases the appetite or does it change your metabolic rate to nil?

Can you beat the system of Elavil and not gain weight or am I certain to grow?

Anyone else on an amitriptyline?

Myself, having recovered from ED's (eating disorders..bulimia and anorexia for, too, too many years. I still am concerned about my weight. Concerned in a normal way...

I have been on four new prescribed medicines, including Elavil and I feel no hunger at all. Zip, nadda...

Thank you,
Oluwa

Numpty
04-04-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm on amitriptyline too Oluwa but only started on it this week so I'm not sure really. I'm on it to try and sort out my headaches, just on 10mg per day (one tablet before bed).

Hope someone else has the answer cause I'm on a diet and really don't want to start putting it back on again.

C x

Faith
04-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi Oluwa and Numpty,

I don't have much of an answer, but my mother-in-law was on it and she lost weight. I have heard everyone is different.

I hope you are both doing well and having a great day.

Take care,

Faith 8)

Saysusie
04-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Elavil (Amitriptyline ) is a Tricylcid antidepressant (TCA). TCAs tend to slow metabolism and they tend to promote carbohydrate cravings, this leading to weight gain. TCAs have the greatest weight gain amongst antidepressant drugs.
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) have the least weight gain amongst antidepressants (Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Celexa). The problem with these is that they do nothing to help with the pain of Lupus and Fibromyalgia, the way that TCAs do :?

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Oluwa
04-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Thank you everyone...

I don't feel hungry..maybe that has to do with the combination of pills I am taking. No carbs cravings...yet. Wondering does that mean candy or pasta. I could have a hay day with some Hersheys Plain Chocolate Bars...

Saysusie
04-07-2008, 08:44 AM
:lol: