PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have jaw pain?

Faith
04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the jaw pain at the very back of the jaw. What is this from? Sjogrens? Fibromyalgia? I am not even talking because just the movement is painful.

Any input would be appreciated. I hope everyone is having a good day.

Thank you,

Faith 8)

sits_inthe_corner
04-03-2008, 04:21 PM
hugssss faith...

I have jaw pain from time to time....the dentist says it's arthritis...the rhuemy says is an ear infection and I should see my family doctor about it....and the family doctor says it's arthritis and I should see the rhuemy about it......

Sings...and the pain goes on....and the pain goes on...pounding a rhythem to my BrAAaaaaaIIiiiin

La dee da dee da...La dee da dee da

sick n tired
04-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes, Faith,

I do have jaw pain...With fibromyalgia that is common. My Rheumy told me thatTMJ or (Temporomandibular joint) can be one of the side affects of Fibro. Has your jaw ever locked? I mean like you are not quite able to close it the same. I really notice mine when I have had my teeth cleaned. It takes a few hours-days before my teeth match the same.
I have been diagnosed with Tmj and then Fibromyalgia, so I think that one can have it without fibromyalgia.
For me my tmj is because of the muscles in the back of my neck. The tighter my neck is the worse my jaw is.
Headaches and pain in the ears are very common because of this problem.

I hope that was somewhat helpful,

Karen

ColleenT
04-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Hi Faith,

Yes!! I have jaw pain too!!

Sometimes its really bad so that I can't open my mouth widely enough while eating . But generally its just a low grade dull ache. I find myself (when on my own) doing a sort of camel chewing jaw movement from side to side, intrespersed with a wild and wide sort of lions yawn. ( I live in South Africa :D ). I can't say it helps but it somehow feels as though I need to do this.

I also have a tight neck and sore ears from time to time. Haven't even thought to mention these to my Doc. I'll put this on the list though!

My diagnosis is SLE and Sjogrens but I'm not sure what the cause of the jaw condition is.

All the best to you,
Colleen

cheryl_v
04-04-2008, 08:24 AM
I have the same pain too. I just assumed it was arthritis, as most my pain is. I never mentioned it to doc either, so many different problem areas. I'll have to right that down too, if I haven't already. Hope your pain, and everyone elses, eases up and goes away. :)

Faith
04-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks ladies for all the feedback; at least I am not alone not that I want anyone else to be in pain mind you.

Sitsc,
Read up this weekend and found out it's directly related to Fibromyalgia. Remember our chat?? Have you seen the new rhuemy yet? Add that symptom to the list. I hope and pray you get in soon.

Karen,
Ironic that you mention the dentist. This last episode was after the dentist visit for a teeth cleaning. Previously, I have had my jaw lock up, and it's (Ouch) painful and not my idea of fun in the sun. Okay, it's getting late and I am rhyming. lol. No, I haven't had a teaspoon of wine either. I have had pain in the ears. That was very helpful. Thank you!! I hope you are feeling better. My jaw, joint and Fibro is really nothing compared to what you are dealing with. Praying.

ColleenT & Cheryl_V,

Wow, I didn't think there would be such a big response, and then to read in Dr. Wallace's FIbro book it is directly related to Fibromyalgia. Honestly, I would have never guessed.

Okay, next time I am trying the camel chewing movements along with the wild and wide lions yawn. Anything to help make it go away. Thank youfor your feedback and hoping everyone elses pain eases up too.

Take care all,

Faith :o

sits_inthe_corner
04-06-2008, 12:37 AM
hi Faith,

I dont see my rhuemy untill May. Plus it's the old rhuemy that appointment is with.

Family doc wanted me to keep that appointment as it could take away for another rhuemy accept me as a patient. I dont hold out much hope for the old rhuemy.

She should wear a Tshirt to work that says I'd rather be cross stitching. :shock:

mnjodette
04-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Yup - I have had TMJ problems off and on for years. I never had my mouth literally lock up though....ouch! My sympathies. I have a mouth guard I used to wear at night to prevent me from clenching my teeth (which aggravated it.) I hadn't heard anything about lupus or FM or Sjogrens when that problem started, but assume it's all part of the puzzle. Funny how many similar symptoms we all have, even though we're all "blessed" with a slightly different variety of diseases. Misery loves company, huh? :wink:

Jody

rob
04-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Yeah, I have jaw pain, cracking, popping. My Dr. gave me this mouthpiece thing to use when I sleep. I don't know if it's really helping though. I've only had it for a few weeks, so I need to give it time. The worst thing for me is sometimes I'll wake up, and I can hardly move my jaw, until I force it and it makes a loud pop. It's painful.

sits_inthe_corner
04-06-2008, 08:11 AM
OUCHERS Rob,

Do you have a follow up appointment with your dentist?

Faith
04-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Sorry guys,

I guess another symptom we all tend to share. Rob, I would talk with the dentist if the mouth guard doesn't work. Ouch!! That is painful.

Take care,

Faith

racinie
05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
I get jaw pain sometimes, (in a flare), but my jaw pops all the time. It's just like someone described it: It's hard to move, then i force it to pop. But i really like it when it pops, it's really satisfying, haha.

sits_inthe_corner
05-12-2008, 06:15 PM
OUCH racinie

Is there anything the doc can do for you?

racinie
05-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I have no idea, he sort of wrote it off as night-time teeth clenching. If it starts hurting a lot, i think i'll see my GP.

sits_inthe_corner
05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
I have jaw pain, there's arthritis in the joint. Plus I do have a habit of grinding my teeth.

I have a mouth piece that i wear to bed, but that doesn't mean it will be in my mouth when I wake up. I also sleep wake when I'm upset or unsettled. So I've found the stupid mouth piece in some interesting places :lol:

SwirlyGirly
05-12-2008, 06:34 PM
My doctor told me that it was common with both Lupus (arthritis in the jaw) and with Fibromyalgia. I have the night guard that I have to replace at least 3 times a year. I sleep walk and it just disappears on me from time to time. So I can relate with you SITC at finding it in weird places. I also have to consciously either sing to the radio in the car or sit there with my mouth open. I tend to clench my teeth when I drive. Since I have over an hour and a half commute to work it gets very sore! I actually see a chiropractor once a month and he is magic with my jaw.

Saysusie
05-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I have terrible jaw pain, but it is due to my TMJ. This is fairly common with those of us who suffer from Fibromyalgia. The pain can affect my ability to eat at times and my jaw pops whenever I open it :lol!:

I am currently in physical therapy and we've been working on my TMJ. My therapist did suggest getting a mouth piece, especially at night when I tend to grind my teeth.

Saysusie

sick n tired
05-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I also have jaw pain due to tmj....I dont like the mouth piece that I should wear at night. It is uncomfortable to me...

sits_inthe_corner
05-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Saysusie

You should give the mouth piece a try...I grined my teeth at night, but I dont when I have the mouth piece in. I've shattered a back molar already. So I'm trying to be good and where the stupid thing through the night. :roll:

Saysusie
05-15-2008, 10:32 AM
I finally purchased one, haven't used it yet :? I will try it tonight. It is very soft and pliable (I had expected something hard and metallic and was not looking forward to having that in my mouth all night), so I am much more inclined to try it now. :lol:
I'll let you know tomorrow

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Saysusie

Read the package carefully, I think if it does not fit perfectly, you can heat it up by boiling it and reshape it to your mouth as it cools.

One other word of warning....if you are chemically sensative. I found out a few years ago that I cant were rubber gloves.

I used to work with special needs children and there where occations when we had to wear those thin surgical looking gloves. But my hands would break out something fierce. Our supplier recognized the problem right away and brough me some vynil gloves, and that did the trick.

I have the same problem with band aides :oops:

I have a mouth guard that I wear at night, I'm not sure what it's made of, but it's never bothered me. I got that one from the dentist.

Saysusie
05-15-2008, 02:57 PM
OMG! I discovered, after thyroid surgery, that I am allergic to latex gloves. So my doctors always have to go on a hunt trying to find rubber gloves for me!
How funny huh?

I'll read the label to find out what the mouthpiece is made of b4 I put it in my mouth. Thank you for the warning!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie