PDA

View Full Version : headaches

scubagramplit
04-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I initialy posted this under I believe the newly diagnosed forum and was suggested that I try this question here.

A couple of the posts refer to headaches and what part of the head they are located, I have had chronic headaches for probably six months to a year, at times they make me feel like my eyes are crossed, they seem to originate at the base of my skull just to both sides of where the spine enters, and at times it feels like it is also inside of my eye sockets. Ibuprofen defenitly seems to help however it also seems to raise my blood preasure, I do also have a leaking aortic heart valve that is bycuspid instead of trycuspid and my cardiologist is trying to keep my blood preasure down. any info would be appreciated.
thanks;Jim
God bless you all!

sits_inthe_corner
04-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi Jim,

My headaches start at the lower back of my scull .... my jaw and teeth ache and become light sensative. The hair on my head feels like huge spinters in my scull. Because of the medications I'm on, I'm only allowed to take tylenol with no codine, and cold fx as medications. So I just lay down in a dark room and hope for the best.

The placquenil that I'm taking can cause these headaches. So my doctor suggested I take both pills together just before bed with a small tub of yogart. After I started doing that my headaches have lessened drastically.

But there are many reasons for the headaches, hopefully someone else will have some answers for you...hang in there:)

scubagramplit
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
sits_inthe_corner
thanks, I have tried the tylenol with no relief, it takes about 600mg to work. I guess it will just take time to figure all this out. take care.

sick n tired
04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi,

I have fibromyalgia and the neck muscles get real tense. My pain does come from the base of the skull and into the head. It seems to radiate all the way up and over my head. Nothing works with me over the counter, however.

I hope that you are able to find a pain reliever that does not raise your blood pressure.

cheryl_v
04-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I was having headaches daily due to high bp. Doc gave me a new med called Atenolol. It lowers bp, prevents migrains and prevents heart attack. Ask your doc if its good for you to take with your heart. I also get headaches from FMS, stress and countless other reasons. Neproxan helps and asprin. Peppermint oil rubbed on forhead and back of neck helps alot too. Hope you find relief.

Morpheus
04-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I get headaches on the left side of my head.
It is a constant throbbing pain.
Feels somewhat similiar to A tension headache.

I read somewhere, that one of the common causes of headaches is dehydration.

so what i do is drink water as soon as I feel a headache coming, and it really helps.
In a matter of minutes.

If it is more severe. Ibuprofen does the trick in record time
Hope this helps

Saysusie
04-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I was told, by my rheumy, that headaches that start at the base of the skull are generally muscle contraction headaches (tension headaches). Tension headaches do not usually respond to medications for migraine headaches and they are usually associated with tension and fatigue related to stress. The pain usually lasts for days or hours.
Headaches that start around the eyes and temple areas are generally migraine headaches and are vascular problems. Migraine has generally been divided into two types, common and classic migraine. Common migraines occur as a throbbing pain on one side or occasionally both sides of the head, affecting women more often than men. They may last for hours or days. Classic migraine has similar features but is associated with nausea. The aura may include a variety of symptoms and, in particular, includes visual symptoms such as bright lights, lines, patterns or other distortions. It is the classic pattern of migraine which seems to have a specific association with lupus.

Lupus, itself, has symptoms known as "Lupus Headaches" which are very much like migraines, but do not respond to migraine medication or otc headache medication. Lupus migraines are usually alleviated with the medications used to treat Lupus. 10% of Lupus patients suffer from some form of migrainous-type headache which doctors feel is a manifestation of underlying lupus. Whenever your headaches are unusually prolonged and unresponsive to the usual pain relieving medications, they are likely to represent symptoms of lupus itself. The frequency and severity of the pattern of migrainous headaches in Lupus seem to resolve as other features of the disease including arthritis, pleuritis and rashes, improved with treatment.
In any event, the important point to remember is that when your headaches are prolonged, diffuse and not relieved by the usual pain relievers, or when they involve specific hallucinations or changes such as fleeting blindness associated with other migrainous phenomenon, they most likely represent a manifestation of the underlying disease process of Lupus. Treatment with the usual medications for lupus including steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, and Plaquenil, in addition to the use of drugs like nifedipine, which can dilate the arteries, are usually recommended and have been found to be helpful.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
04-05-2008, 11:58 AM
:shock:

Well, saysusie, that would explain my headaches. I've never found a medication that could touch my horrid headaches. Not even take the edge off.

When they come on, I just want to throw up from the pain. I dont want anyone moving around me to talking to me or touching me. The best thing I can do is go into a dark quiet room and wait for it to go away.

Funny I just remembered, I had an uncle who used to go into a dark room for weeks at a time. He sort of kept to himself and didn't have much to do with the family...the poor guy.

jesseyleigh
04-06-2008, 01:16 AM
OOOO OOOOOO i know :D take vitamin B2 swear by the stuff. I once went to a neurologist specializing in chronic pain patients and migraines. I actually buy this stuff at Costco called Zip-Fizz its got tons of B2 and B12 it does wonders along with 2 Excedrin Migraine. What i was told is they are still considered a migraine they just have their own classification. This was when i was put on Topamax i am warning everyone about the stuff it messed me up perminently :(i weighed 125 (at 5'6") and lost 15 pounds scary stuff and it didnt really help me anyways BOO on topamax but yea for zip-fizz :)

Saysusie
04-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Jesseyleigh;
As part of my Fibro clinic, I've been taking B12 (under my tongue), for pain. I'm glad that you mentioned that it has helped your headaches. I hope that it does the same for me. Like SITC said, my migraine headaches cause me nausea, intense pain for days and I, also, have to lock myself away in a dark, cool, quiet room.
I've never heard of zip-fizz, but I will look for it the next time that I go to Costco.

SITC:
I hope you get some relief soon - both from your stress and from your headaches!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
04-06-2008, 01:34 PM
hugs Saysusie

Speaking of relief, how are you feeling?

Gentle hugs :)

mnjodette
04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
So, let me ask: I used to have migraines ('cluster headaches' my doc called them) pretty bad. Had a terrible time getting them under control. After a few years, my doc put me on Atenolol (a beta blocker). He said sometimes that works for migraines that are stubborn. Well, it DID work, and I was on it for years. Shortly before my lupus manifested it's lovely self, I was taken off the Atenolol (my request) as I hadn't had a migraine in a very long while, and my doc said women often stop having them after menopause. Ok...so fast forward a year.... Headaches come back - mild at first; then NOT so mild. Doc put me back on Atenolol (I'm still on it.) I thought it was working again, but when I was in Hawaii, I got a killer migraine. Nothing was touching it. Finally, I took something to sleep and 4 Ibuprofen. When I woke up the next day I had the usual migraine hangover (those of you who have them know what I mean) but the headache was gone. So, question is - is this your garden variety migraine, or are we talking lupus headache here? Lord knows I'm on enough meds without the Atenolol, so if it's really not helping, I'd surrrrreee like to stop taking it! What'dya think? Saysusie?

Jody

Saysusie
04-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Mnjodette;
I can only give you my personal experience. I developed these horrendous headaches before my lupus diagnosis and, like you, was given Atenolol. It did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for my headaches! After I was finally diagnosed with Lupus (like a year later), my doctor then explained Lupus Migraines to me and stated that not all Lupus patients respond to Beta Blockers. She said that Prednisone would eventually help the Lupus Migraines because the drug helped to resolve the symptoms of Lupus and that most Lupus Migraines are conditions of the disease itself.
When I was downgraded to Mild Lupus, my migraines did not downgrade with my other symptoms. So, then, I was prescribed a Triptan drug called Maxalt. Triptans are described as abortive Migraine medications. They cannot prevent Migraines. They are used to abort a Migraine attack, to stop the attack itself and the associated symptoms. Drugs in this class are supposed to be taken early in the Migraine attack to be most effective. In addition to Migraine attacks, triptans are also sometimes helpful for cluster headaches. They are tablets that dissolve under the tongue. These work for me when I am able to run to a bed, close the door and pass out (they literally knock me out). Otherwise, they are too dangerous to use if you must be out and about. Triptans were approved by the FDA specifically for adults suffering from moderate to severe migraines and clusters.
I hope that this was helpful to you :D

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Saysusie
04-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi Sits-In-The-Corner;

I am doing relatively o.k.--still dealing with pain and burning. However, the weather has been fairly nice and getting warmer everyday. So, today, I am getting in the pool! Oooooooh the cool water!

:lol:
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

jesseyleigh
04-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Dont just use b12 also use b2 that combination along with magnesium. I feel a migraine coming on and i pop a bunch of b2 and that does wonders

mnjodette
04-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks, Saysusie. I have a prescription for Imitrex, but I haven't used it in years. Would that be a Triptan, or some other class of drug? It's just a caplet - not something that dissolves under your tongue.

Jody

jesseyleigh
04-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Its sadly a triptan :(

Saysusie
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Jessyleigh;
Thanks for the info re: B12 and B2, I will try them both!

Saysusie

scubagramplit
05-11-2008, 08:56 AM
saysusie & jesseyleigh
I have looked for vitamin B-2 with no success, is it sold under a different name? After I started on plaquinel and imuran it took about 4 to 5 weeks and then I had about 2-2 1/2 weeks when I started to feel like a human again, no headache, fatigue minimul, actually had energy and some want to. After the 2-2 1/2 weeks the headaches started coming back, the fatigue a few days later and now here I am what seems like back to the beginning. My GP at one point was trying to blame my headaches on what he called a rebound effect from taking Ibuprofen, I think my 2-2 1/2 week period free from headaches disproves that. then he asked me how often I have these headaches and I explained to him that is not a matter of how often I have them but that I judge how good or bad my day is by how bad my headaches are, they are 24/7. After that he sent me for an MRI, brain scan, confirmed I do have a brain, (haha) so far I'm told by the nurse that there are small changes wich may reflect changes to known lupas, I am not really sure what that is supposed to mean. Any way, any info or help would be appreciated, thanks.
And a happy mothers day to all the mothers out there, God bless you for all you do!

sits_inthe_corner
05-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi scubagramplit

Are you still on the plaquenil? And they are sure it's not the plaquenil causing the headaches?

I'm relieved to hear you do have a brain :rofl:

I've been on plaquenil since December 1rst. I only get the odd headache. I take both pills at the same time with food right before bed so I can sleep through the dizzies and most of the headache. I had stomack upset at the beginning but that's settled down.

Hope you get some answers.

scubagramplit
05-11-2008, 02:52 PM
sits_inthe_corner
I have only been on plaquenil and imuran for about 2 months, I have been suffering from these headaches for at least a year and a half. I at least at this point am thankfull that I now know the cause.

Saysusie
05-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi Scubagramplit;

There is a lot of information, in these forums, about headaches and Lupus. Please type "Lupus Headaches or just Headaches" in the search box above and all of the posts on that subject will come up. If you are still unable to find helpful information, let me know and I will do all that I can to assist you. But, I'm sure that you'll find something in some of these posts.

Here is an article that I found about vitamin B2.

"Vitamin B2: An essential nutrient found in meat, dairy foods, plant foods and grain products. The body requires vitamin B2 to break down food components, maintain tissue, and absorb other nutrients.

Like other vitamins, vitamin B2 is an organic compound. An organic compound is a substance that (1) occurs in living things, or organisms (hence, the word "organic") and (2) contains the elements carbon and oxygen (hence, the word "compound," meaning combination of elements). An alternate name for vitamin B2 is riboflavin.

Vitamin B2 is a water-soluble vitamin, one that cannot be stored by the body except in insignificant amounts. It must be replenished daily.

Purposes and Benefits of Vitamin B2

Vitamin B2 helps break down carbohydrates, fats and protein for use by the body. Its role in maintaining an energy supply for the body is crucial, for it helps convert carbohydrates into adenosine triphosphate (ATP), a compound needed to store energy in muscles. Vitamin B2 also promotes the following:

1. Skin, muscle, nerve, heart and eye health, including inhibiting the development of cataracts.

2. Production of red blood cells and antibodies.

2. Absorption or activation of iron, folic acid and Vitamins B1, B3 and B6.

3. Conversion of tryptophan, an amino acid, into niacin.

4. Production of hormones by the adrenal glands.

5. Maintenance of the mucous membranes in the digestive system with the help of vitamin A.

6. Healthy development of the fetus. (Vitamin B2 may or may not be essential for normal fetal development but it is clearly the better part of wisdom to supply it via the mother's diet.)

Food Sources of Vitamin B2

Vitamin B2 is found mainly in meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, dairy foods and grain products. Types of food containing vitamin B2 include the following:

1. Liver, beef kidneys, chicken, turkey, fish.

2. Eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt.

3. Leafy green vegetables, asparagus, artichokes, avocados, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, dandelion greens, watercress, currants, spinach, kelp, peas, navy beans, lima beans, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, cayenne, parsley, sage, rose hips.

4.Whole-grain breads, enriched breads, fortified cereals.

5. Mushrooms, nuts, molasses.

Deficiency of Vitamin B2

Vitamin B2 deficiency is quite uncommon. Those most vulnerable to deficiency of vitamin B2 include alcoholics, elderly persons with a poor diet, persons who suffer adverse reactions to dairy products (lactose intolerance) and women who use oral contraceptives.

The signs and symptoms of vitamin B2 deficiency include visual problems, such as cataracts and excessive sensitivity of the eyes to light (photosensitivity). There may also include reddening of the lips with cracking at the corners (cheilosis), tongue inflammation (glossitis), skin inflammation (dermatitis), swelling (edema), dizziness, hair loss, insomnia, trembling and delayed mental response.

Preservation of Vitamin B2

Foods lose Vitamin B2 when exposed to light. Therefore, they should not be stored in transparent glass containers.

Recommended Daily Intake of Vitamin B2 in Milligrams

Infants from birth to 1 year: 0.4 to 0.5 mg

Babies 1 to 3 years: 0.8 mg

Children 4 to 10: 1.1 to 1.2 mg

Pregnant women: 1.6 mg

Lactating women: 1.7 to 1.8 mg

Other adult females: 1.3 mg

Adult males: 1.7 mg

(Intakes may be adjusted according to a physician's instructions.)

A milligram equals 1/1000 of a gram. A gram equals .0353 of an ounce.

Side Effects From Overdose of Vitamin B2

Vitamin B2 is not known to cause overdose side effects because excessive amounts are not retained by the body.

Interactions of Vitamin B2

Vitamin B2 may interact with some drugs. Therefore, patients taking drugs should always read warning labels and advisories on containers and printed pharmacy instructions. If in doubt about a possible reaction, patients should consult a pharmacist or physician.

Vitamin B2 Supplements

Vitamin B2 is usually sold as part of B-complex or multivitamin products in the form of tablets, powders and liquids."

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie