PDA

View Full Version : I am a grandmother, now

sick n tired
03-29-2008, 08:41 AM
My daughter gave birth to a baby girl. I got to watch her be born...it was great. I had never seen a baby born up close and personal without I was doing the pushing.
I hear that being a grandmother is much more fun than being a mom because the discipline is for the parents and spoiling is for grandma.

rob
03-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Very cool! Congrats Grandma! Is the new mom holding up well?

sits_inthe_corner
03-29-2008, 12:05 PM
sick n tired

Congrats Grammy! Woohoo...you dont have time to poste any more..get shopping you've got a grandchild to spoil rotten :lol:

hatlady
03-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Congrats!

I've loved being an aunt - because I could not only spoil 'em, I could hand them back when their diapers were dirty. Aunts don't have to do those things. Its written in the rule book. :wink:

I hear being a grandmother is even BETTER. Enjoy evry minute! :D

sick n tired
03-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Yes Hatlady,

Auntie and Grandma can be the same in the spoiling and giving back stuff.

SITC I have already been shopping!

Rob, The mom is doing fine. I intend to go to her house for a few days to help her to adjust.

Lula2ya
03-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Congratulations!!! I became a grandma a year ago and same as you got to be in there with my daughter, it was awesome. We just celebrated his 1st birthday today... And, Yes.. being a grandma is the BEST!!! You'll see. My husband and I are in LOVE with our little guy and can't get enough of him. Just wait til' your's smiles at, reaches for and crawls and walks to you... you're gonna melt. I am so happy for you. :lilangel:

sick n tired
03-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Well Congrats right back atcha, Lula2ya, I'll bet your little guy is as perfect and angel as my Lexie.

:lilangel:

In Him,

Karen

BTw, what are you having your little guy call you?

Lula2ya
03-29-2008, 09:25 PM
My husband is half Japanese so my daughter wants him to call me by what Japanese children call their grandma's. Grandmother in japanese is Oba-chan but when they are babies they can't say it we read that some call them baba chan or just baba instead. So I'm referred to as baba. I think it's cute. It's quite hilarious though because I'm hispanic. LOL Lexie is an adorable name.

sick n tired
03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
How cute...my hubby is half hispanic...I think he wants to be called Papi,

I think Welita will be too hard, possibly wele or lita. actually, just plain grandmommy might be great, too. I heard that grandkids sometimes name the grandparents. :)

Take Care,

Kare

Numpty
03-30-2008, 03:13 AM
Woot! Congrats Karen! :D

My son picked what he wanted to call his grandparents himself without much prompting really. He calls my mum and dad, Nanna and Grandad and he calls the ex's parents, Granny and Papa.

My mum didn't like Nanna at first but that's what he started saying and now she loves it ~l~

They're not babies for long of course so enjoy every minute of it. Sometimes the laughter of children is one of the best medicines! I hope it does wonders for you!

C x

sick n tired
03-30-2008, 08:47 AM
My daughter wants me to be called Nana...I really don't care. Actually, hearing what the other grandparents are called by their older grandkids I now have names I don't want us to be called.
The grandmaw is called mepaw and the grandfather is called pingpee. Now if you say the grandfather's name fast enough it comes out as something different (think p.p.). Actually, that is what I thought they were saying. I know my hubby will not want to be called anything that sounds like a slang of his private area. :lol:

mnjodette
03-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Congrats, Karen! We have one beautiful granddaughter and she's 7 now. She's as precious now as she was the moment she was born. You are SOOO right...there is nothing like being grandparents. My hubby and I weren't prepared for how much we would love her instantly. We're lucky to see her often (she stays with us nearly every weekend, at least one night.) She calls us Nana and Papa - love it! I hope you get as much joy from little Lexi (great name!) as we do from our little Gracie! God bless your family!

Jody

Pretti in Pink
03-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Congrats Karen,

What I joy. I'm still tackling motherhood right now (son is 15) but I can imagine how you feel based on how my mom acts with her grandchildren. They call her MeMa, don't know where that one came from but it works well for all of them and it was easy for them to pronounce.

Saysusie
03-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Many Congrats Karen; I don't know how my granddaughter decided to give my husband and I our names, but I just love to hear her say them. I am "Gamma-Gamma" and my husband is "Pop-Pop"

You are in for many, many wonderful years and hundreds and hundreds of loving moments! Congratulations again.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Faith
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Congrats Karen!!! What a blessing!!!

Faith

sick n tired
04-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey mnjodette, Pretti in pink, Faith and Saysusie,

Thanks for your enthusiasm and encouragments. I am over the top, but am having a hard time holding her. Actually, I have not told my daughter the pain of holding Lexie, but it is like it takes a while to recover.

We are still undecided on what to be called. I guess that it will come in time.

Tata for now(tigger is my favorite),

Karen

Lula2ya
04-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm so sorry it's hard for you to hold Lexie. I remember a time about 4 years ago, I was at my worst pain ever. I had someone hand me their baby and I almost died with pain. I had to hand him right back. I thought my arms were going to come out of the sockets... it felt that way exactly. I had the thought of not ever being able to hold my own grand children and was so saddened by it. 3 years later when my gb was born, my pain level has gone waaay down and now at 1 year old, it's amazing... I can carry him all over the place, throw him up in the air, chase him, squat down. I don't know what's happened to me. Partly methotrexate after 2 years straight? Prednisone? Hubby thinks it's partly due to the grandson, he's given me a better outlook on life, Definitely the Lord gets the credit... I'm just so thankful. I will pray that this next year as she grows, you grow with her in strength and stamina and no pain.

mnjodette
04-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Lula2ya, that's so great! I'm glad you're doing so well. Grandkids are God's special gift. I always told my granddaughter that she was my 'best medicine' and she thought that was very special - and she IS special! I thank God for her every day.

Karen, I hope you'll be feeling just like Lula2ya this time next year - able to toss that little Lexie in the air and make her giggle! Nice thought, huh?

sick n tired
04-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Oh lula,
that is a great testimony. I am sooooo glad that you are not having as much pain. Awesome!!! May God be Praised.

Maybe as Jody says, I will be where you are in a year. I sure hope so.

In Him,

Karen

Lula2ya
04-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm going to pray that you WILL be... is that her picture? BEAUTIFUL!!!! She is awesome.

sick n tired
04-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Yes lula,

That is my beautiful grandbaby.... :D

Saysusie
04-08-2008, 08:02 PM
OOOOHH! I asked, in another forum, who this precious picture was. Now I know...she is BEAUTIFUL!!

Has holding her become easier yet? I know that it will.

Saysusie

sick n tired
04-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks Saysusie,

I am still having pain when I hold her. I do it anyway, however. She passes this age only once and it is fleeting.

Karen

Pretti in Pink
04-09-2008, 01:40 PM
You're right, so enjoy every minute, however you can but I do pray your pain subsides soon. What a blessing for you.

Saysusie
04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
DITTO :lol:

Saysusie

mnjodette
04-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Karen, how are the arms? Any easier holding that little precious darling? (the picture is absolutely gorgeous, by the way...lucky you!) Thinking of you....

Jody

sick n tired
04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey Jody,

My right arm is getting better, some. Or I am getting used to the pain. Not sure, but I will still hold my little one.

Glad to "hear" that you are ok.

Karen