PDA

View Full Version : new

aj
03-12-2008, 11:07 AM
hey whats up, my name is AJ im 20yrs old and i live in florida... any body know how to get rid of the red spots? ive had them under my eye for awhile

sits_inthe_corner
03-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi aj

Nice to meet ya. Depending on the type of red spot you doctor will probably write you a perscription for a cortisone cream. Several of us have red spots but not all are caused by the same problem. Best plan is to see your doctor.

Let us know how you make out. I'm always curious to see if our conditions match up or is there something new and exotic to look out for.

I'm 48 yrs old, and living in Nova Scotia. I'm still waiting on lupus confermation...and waiting and waiting....

I'm sure the others will be along soon with a response. Can you tell us more about your spots? Are they sore...flat or raised?

Careful to stay out of the sun. That can cause alot of problems...wear a hat with a peak...baseball cap will do.

Saysusie
03-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi AJ;
Welcome to our family. Sits-in-the-corner gave you the best advice about the spots under your eyes. It is important to find out the exact type of rash that they are before trying to treat them. Do ask your doctor about them and what type of treatment you will need.
I'm glad that you found us and that you decided to join us. Let us know what you find out about the rash under your eyes.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

aj
03-13-2008, 05:14 AM
the spots are raised around the outside and red.. on the inside they are white... i tried the cortizone cream but it didnt really do anything.. i wear a hat and glasses when i go outside and recently started wearing them inside... i read that floresent lights can cause flares too... the spots itch and scale over i also get blisters on my lip.

sits_inthe_corner
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
hi aj...

definately let your doc have a look at them. They may have to send a bit off for testing or they may be able to identify it right away. Sounds like one I had on my arm...it was lupus rash...but get to the doctor's so you can start a treatment on them. :)

Faith
03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi AJ,

Find a really good dermatologist or GP and have one of them biopsied. After the biopsy, they may start you on prednisone (pill or shot) to eliminate the rash. If you should have a choice, the shot is the way to go if you wish to sleep at night. The pills made me an energizer bunny rabbit; zero sleep.

Go to Wal-mart and purchase some No-Ad 50 sunscreen ($6.50) and apply on face, etc. The darker the clothes and hats, the less sunscreen gets through.

Check out Ebay and type in Coolibar or check out the Coolibar website. They make UV protectant clothes and hats; they are expensive but it really does help.

Take care,

Faith 8)

It doesnt have ME!
03-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Stay out of the sun! Dont let anything stress you out!

aj
03-18-2008, 08:54 AM
i had the biopsy done a while ago the told me it was lupus but said there was nothing they could give me for the rash... think im going to try a different derm

sits_inthe_corner
03-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi aj

I think you should...I've not had the rash come back...the biopsy they did pretty much took the whole rash area. But if it did come back I'ld want treatment. Faith mentioned earlier about predisone shots? Reread her post. :)

Faith
03-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey AJ,

Go the the market and buy hydrocortisone cream and apply 3x daily. Anything that has "cort" or cortisone in it is a cortisone cream. It should flatten out by day 3 and may take a couple of months for the scar to lightly fade. Though, it will always be there. It works, I have used it.

Take care,

Faith

Faith
03-23-2008, 05:28 PM
AJ,

If it is Lupus, than you will need to have the lab panels ran by either your gp or rhuemy. Labs can be located under newly diagnosed criteria. Many general practitioners do not know what labs to run for Lupus. A suggestion, print them out and take them with you to dr's visit.

Not to scare you at all. In the meantime, sign up for life insurance (for the future) and a good health insurance private policy or one that is portable if you should ever leave you can pay for it individually. Now you are probably thinking Why? When you are officially diagnosed; you will not be able to obtain either with a Lupus diagnosis. If you are employed and the employer offers Aflac, get the Cancer policy as it also covers Lupus. It will help pay for dr's visits, meds, etc.

Since you are sun sensitive, a question to ask the rhuemy or gp is can you be placed on Plaquenil? Plaquenil will build up some tolerance to light over a 3-6 month timeframe and will lessen joint pain. You will still need to cover up and wear sunscreen. I am reactive to flourescent lights.

Prior to taking the Plaquenil, you will need a Plaquenil baseline from an opthamologist and check ups every 6 months. The baseline and checks can sometimes be billed under your primary medical card due to it is a related to the medical condition, Lupus. Check with your insurance to see if it will cover the eye visits. Do some research and find a really good rhuemy! Make a list of questions and also a list of aches to take to dr's appointment.

Keep us informed. I hope this has helped.

Faith 8)

Gisèle
03-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi AJ! Welcome to the forum!

That rash sounds quite familiar to one that I have gotten within the past few months on my body, I haven't gotten a biopsy of it, though, since I haven't had one pop up in a while.

I would definitely find a new derm; from my understanding, there is something that they can give you to help with lupus rashes. Also, plaquenil is supposed to be good for lupus rashes.

I hope you are doing well!

sick n tired
03-23-2008, 07:50 PM
hey AJ,

I don't have that red spot rash anymore, but I do have some white ones. They itch, too. Not sure what yours or mine are. I hope you are able to find some relief.

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

GBabyMomma
05-13-2008, 12:03 PM
The rash sounds kinda like the one I have, however, mine is on my legs and arms. I haven't noticed any on my face, though at this point, I figure anything is possible.

The insurance advice has me concerned. How does all that work? Is lupus one of those preexisting conditions that many companies won't cover? What if I get insurance through my company? I am so confused and never thought of insurance coverage being a problem.

This sight is so helpful and everyone is so encouraging. It is nice to know that when my own mind starts to get the best of me I can get online and read some of these and know that I am not alone and I am not crazy.

Take care everyone!
GBabyMomma

dede96
05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Aj and along with everyone else welcome!

sick n tired
05-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey Gbabymomma,

My rash is not on my face, either....it is in other places like the nether regions of my body.... :oops:

I am insured through my husbands work...the rheumy that I am going to is not in network, however, so it is many hundreds to dollars each time that I go to him. At the moment I am having a hard time and he is keeping a short leash on me, meaning I am going back and forth to him every few weeks