PDA

View Full Version : Rash on lower arms

KCsMOM
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
My 11 year old son was diagnosed with SLE and lupus nephritis last June. Since then he has done extremely well on Prednisone and Cellcept. He is currently being tapered off Prednisone and is down to 10mg every other day which started about 3 weeks ago. Today he has developed a very red, sore to the touch rash on the inside of his lower arms. It looks like a contact dermatitis. He does not have a fever, a rise in blood pressure, or any other symptoms. Does anyone know if this could be from lupus? I have put hydrocortisone cream on it for now and I am going to call the doctor in the morning but was curious if anyone has had similar problems. Thanks so much

P.S. One point that may have something to do with this, we just got a puppy 3 weeks ago. He got his distemper shot the day before yesterday and I know this sounds crazy but I wonder if when my son picked up the puppy he could have gotten some of his urine on him and it caused this rash.

rob
03-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi KCsMOM,

This may help you and your son, or it may be a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd tell you what I know. I'm a guy, I'm 40, and I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004. After the diagnosis, and after being on prednisone and plaquenil for a year, I was having rashes like you describe. On my inner arms, below my elbows, and up in my armpits (yuck). It was very inflamed and bumpy/swollen. Red, and burning as well. I finally stopped using the gel type deodorant I had used for years, and it went away, and I have not had it since. I was using one of the "clear-gel" types, when I switched to the solid white stuff, It went away. I have tried different brands, and have had the same result, the clear gel causes a flare, the white soilid does not. Anyway, This may, or may not apply to your son, but I thought I'd let you know. I hope he does OK. Let him know too that even though Lupus is considered by some "a woman's disease", that he's not the only guy out there, old, or young, with Lupus. Let us know how it goes.

Rob