PDA

View Full Version : TMJ=Ouch!

rob
02-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey everybody,

I've been having an ongoing problem with my TMJ on the right side for about a month now. Mostly just a popping/grinding sound, mostly on the right side, sometimes on the left. I took a quick nap this afternoon, and when I woke up, I couldn't close my mouth. It was out of the joint, and stuck open. A very strange, not to mention scary feeling. After about 5 minutes of trying to move my jaw up and down, it finally went back in with a very loud POP. I saw stars, and the pain was terrible. Has anyone else had this happen to this extent? For the most part it's just been a noisy irritation, with no real pain until today. Any thoughts?

sits_inthe_corner
02-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Yikes rob, you saw stars? My thought are get that Maine frozen butt of yours over to the doctor's and get that jaw looked at. That would be very scarey and you are gonna be worrying about that happening again.

Hugsss hope you are feeling better, but that jaw is still sore. I've been having problems on and off with my jaw, but it's been of a different nature. Swelling causing my jaw pain. It's under control now so the jaw isn't bothering me.

Go see your doctor :)
I'll be expecting a full report :P

rob
02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Should I see my GP Doc, or dentist, or oral surgeon? I don't have a rheumotologist right now, (to put it bluntly, I fired the jerk), but that's a post for another day. After reading your experience, I think you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm not sure who to see about this.

sits_inthe_corner
02-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Start with the oral surgon so long as he doesn't need a referal from your GP.

If that doesn't pan out go to your GP and get the referal.

I dont trust dentists...some of them are like used car salesmen. They dont care if you are covered for dental work or not.

They try to get ya to do stuff that ya dont need.

How's your jaw feeling?

rob
02-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Got a number for an oral surgeon. Calling first thing in the AM. If I relax my jaw, and don't bite down, it pops out again. Pain has gone down some. Just a loud pop is what I get now, not much pain. I can't frigging spell enough to type anymore, if I can't talk, I can't speak into the mike to tell my computer what to do. What next.

mnjodette
02-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Oh, Rob, I'm so sorry. I have TMJ issues, too - they don't bother me a lot anymore, but I remember the pain. I have a mouth piece I wear at night when I'm having trouble with my jaw (I grind my teeth sometimes.) I never had my jaw 'pop out' like that though...that sounds just excruitiating! I hope the oral surgeon will be able to give you some relief. Keep us posted....

Jody

sits_inthe_corner
02-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Hugs rob, How ya making out?

rob
02-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm doing so-so. The oral surgeon says part of my problem is from only chewing my food on one side, if that makes sense. I have 3 molars on the right that have partially crumbled and broken off. And I always have ulcers on that side, so I favor the opposite, to avoid pain. Gave me this mouthpiece thing, hope I can sleep with it, it's rather awkward. He mentioned corrective surgery, but didn't get into details as he want's to try this mouthpiece first, and that's OK with me. Of course, I need to get the molars fixed/replaced, but my medical plan won't cover it, and it's big bucks. I'm on full ssn disability. I make extra money selling items on ebay. I take old toy trains and do some cleanup/restoration work on them and re-sell them. It's a way to pay for my train hobby. I should be able to come up with a down payment at least. The Dr. also mentioned temporary caps that are fairy cheap, just for the short term until I can get the money together.

sits_inthe_corner
02-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Awww rob,

Hugsss. Just take it one step at a time. I know how expensive this stuff can be. I hope you dont have too much trouble adjusting to the mouth piece. Just dont let the cats play with it...nothing worse than a hairy mouth piece! :lol:

I hope to check in tomorrow, our bathroom is out of commision while the new floor is installed. Just have the one washroom and cant be on the floor for the better part of 2 days. But I'll be popping home to take care of the critters.

Hope you get a good nights rest. hugsss