PDA

View Full Version : Work stress....

sits_inthe_corner
02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I switched careers 7 yrs ago. I worked with special needs children for 15 yrs. While I loved my job, my body was starting to dislike it...ALOT. So I decided to trade my sneakers and blue jeans in for office attire.

Just a quiet little receptionist job...to spend out the last of my working days in the quiet atmospher of an office. HA!

I would love to get out of there. But I dont know that I would fine a job less stressful...stress is everywhere. I think I need some good tools to beat stress off.

One of my co-workers just told me today that she is going for an interview tomorrow. She will probably get the job. And if she does all heck is gonna break loose in that office. :roll: And I do NOT want her job....I cant blame her for leaving....stresses me out just thinking about it.

Done venting...ty very much :)

mnjodette
02-25-2008, 05:28 PM
I think you're absolutely right...every job comes with some level of stress. But, clearly there are jobs that have a WHOLE lot more than others. I left a full time management job that just kept growing bigger and bigger and had me on the road about half of the month, supervising staff all over the state. It would've killed me...I swear. I now work half time writing grants and doing special projects. But, it has it's stress too, and I miss the 'adrenalin rush' of the other job sometimes.

You were smart to try to find a lower stress job - too bad it didn't work out that way! I think there are a lot of good stress buster ideas out there, but even if you know some of them, sometimes it's hard to put them to work for you...at least it sure works that way for me! If you hit on something really great, share it!

Hey, vent away...that's what we're here for, right?

sits_inthe_corner
02-25-2008, 06:54 PM
:lol: If I ever need an adrenalin rush, now a days all I have to do is stand up too quickly.

:grab: :grab: :grab:

onpointe
02-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Too funny! I hear ya about standing up, I have a new perspective on it. ;)

I am very fortunate that I don't have to work anymore, I couldn't even imagine trying to work feeling like this!!! I held out as long as I could in a VERY stressful job as well, I was in charge of two offices, blurgh! That was my last experience, I've had jobs more stressful than others. I would come home and take a bath to de-stress. Maybe it's time to think about a different job, maybe the same thing in a less demanding office??

Recently I've tried online classes to be a Medical Transcriptionist, Oregon VocRehab was paying for it too, I tried to complete the schooling but I just couldn't. That was REALLY hard for me, I'm not much for quitting and the schooling is so easy but I never know how I'm going to feel from one day to the next so it was hard to be regular in my studies.

I'm looking into trading precious metals or maybe a home based business that I can do when I feel well, I dunno. It would be nice to have a little extra income but I don't want to kill myself over it.

Anyway, now I'm venting! ;) Just thought I'd share my story, we all go through it and I really do understand that kind of stress. Baths, lots of baths with bubbles, candles, music and a nice glass of wine, works every time to lower that old stess level. :)

onpointe

sick n tired
02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi Sits n the corner,

An adrenelin rush would be nice. I have found out that caffeine helps me. The only thing is that it is temporary. When I was teaching, I needed my cup to be filled all day. Super bad for me, I know. I called it my attitude adjuster.:-) I loved the kids and loved being around them, but I just can't do it anymore. Did you find that the parents were more stressful than the job itself? Sometimes I did.

I am sorry that your new job is just as stressful, but in a different way. I hope that you will be able to get another low keyed one or be able to find peace in this one.

EnPoint, I have been looking for something to do to bring in money. Not sure what I can do, however. I hope that you find a great home based business. Oh by the way, are or were you a ballet dancer?

Have a less stressful day,

Karen

ketiva
03-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Hello I am new here but I too am having stress issues at work as well....I have up to 125 hours for 2 weeks ! They want me there all the time sometimes 10-12 days in a row and I am actually weekends !! They say they need the help and I should undestand but I think they should understand I cannot push like that...but how do you say enough ? :( [/b]

Saysusie
03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Ketiva;
Don't let your declaration of "Enough" be exhaustion that causes a horrible flare that lands you in the hospital that takes you months and months to recover from!!
Listen to your body and let your body tell you when enough is enough. If you are not being paid time and a half for all of the extra hours, then you are not being compensated and, legally, are not obligated to continue to work those hours. I don't know where you work, but if you have a union, you might want to talk to your union rep to see what protections you have before you start to refuse extra hours. It is important that you put your health first and I do hope that you find a way to relieve some of this stress before it causes you great harm.
I wish you the very best!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sick n tired
03-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Hey Ketiva,

I echo Saysuzie's post. Those extra hours that they are expecting are ridiculous. The only reason that they are requiring that of you is because they think they can get it. They appear to be takng advantage of you. Perhaps you should try to find another job.

Hugs,

Karen

sits_inthe_corner
03-15-2008, 08:44 AM
:lilangel:

I've been smiled upon!!!!!! My major source of stress...just QUIT woohooo!

doing the happy dance...oops I mean...really gonna miss him man :)

hatlady
03-15-2008, 09:56 AM
:lol: sits-in-the-corner -- HAPPYDANCING!!! I'm joining you in that. I know I'd be doing that if MY major source of work stress quit. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that won't happen for another couple of years.... :(

Ketiva - welcome! And listen to Saysusie - stress is so bad for us. I've had to cut back hours - I could no longer do a 60 hour week. Just say "NO." (Yeah, I know, easily said!)