PDA

View Full Version : Blood vessel in my eye?

mnjodette
02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
I woke up this morning and the outside of my right eye was totally red - I mean RED,RED,RED! Like I poked myself with a sharp stick in the middle of the night. I assume it's a burst blood vessel?

No pain; vision is fine. I called my ophthalmologist and the nurse said unless it was painful or my vision was affected, they generally don't do anything about those kind of things. It should go away by itself in a couple of weeks. So, my question is does this have anything to do with lupus or is this just a random thing? Anyone else experienced this?

I'm gonna' look pretty weird for a while - good thing I'm going on vacation - I can wear dark glasses! 8)

sits_inthe_corner
02-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Awww mnjodette :( I'm so sorry to read that. I remember my mother's eye going like that periodically. I dont think there is much to do about it. Are you being followed by a rhuematologist? If so, give the office a call. Just incase they want to take a look at it.

With lupus tissue does tend to break down easily. We can bruise and blister at the least little thing. You doctor may want to investigate this. Perhaps not, but you should let them know what's going on.

In the mean time pick yourself out a cool pair of sunglasses :)

mnjodette
02-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah, it occurred to me tonight that I should've called my rheumy as well as my eye doc. I see her next Tuesday, though, so maybe that's soon enough. I have Sjogren's, too, so my eyes are really dry and sensitive. And, I have glaucoma, so I'm putting drops in them every day. Maybe I'll give her a call tomorrow...can't hurt, huh?

When your Mom had this, how long did it take to clear up? It sure looks awful. :roll:

Jody

sits_inthe_corner
02-25-2008, 06:50 PM
A week of looking really ewwwwww, then another week of gee what happened to your eye...then one week of are you feeling okay your eyes look funny. So about three weeks to be back fully to normal. It didn't happen all the time...just every once in a while.

I've not had this happen to me, but my sister had it once so far.

I'm glad you are calling your doc. It doesn't hurt to check.

sick n tired
02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh Jody,

I am so sorry and right before you go on your trip. PTL that it has not affected your sight, though. I have a friend with Lupus who had that happen years ago. I wonder if it is kind of the equivalent of bruises that just appear. I have that. Sometimes I look like the most accident prone person, or worse. I once had my hair dresser tell me that if she didn't know that my hubby was out of the country then she would be concerned about me. He got a chuckle out of that one.

I hope the ewwww time goes by fast.:-)

Have a flare free day,

karen

mnjodette
02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks, Karen! You know, I think it actually looks a tiny bit better today...but maybe that's wishful thinking! Still no pain or vision problems and I'm grateful for that. I wonder about it being just part of lupus. I was going to call my rheumy today, but time passed and I didn't. I see her next week (before I go on my trip) and I guess we'll just talk about it then. I bruise so easy...I know what you mean. I'm sure people wonder what I'm doing to myself! Could be the same king of thing...just in my eye.

sick n tired
02-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Jody,

Great that it looks better, today. Even if it is all in your head, at least that is what you see.:-) I have been know to ask the Lord to make me look good to me and my hubby :lol:

Let us know what the rheumy says and

have a flare free day,

Karen

Oluwa
02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Jody?

How many fingers do I have up? Fighting with the sheets? Nightgown rolling up to your head in bed?

Goodness, I bet that was scary to wake up to..hugs. Does it look like this...click here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subconjunctival_hemorrhage

Note at the bottom of that window, it says artifical tears can slow the healing process...

Praying for your wellness,
Oluwa
Head hug.

sits_inthe_corner
02-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Oluwa

You crack me up...

mnjodette
02-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Oluwa - YES...that's what it looks like. Bruised eye...yes, that would describe it. I use artificial tears (or eye lubricant, actually) but haven't since this showed up. Have to use my glaucoma drops every night, so hope that doesn's slow it down.

I can see fine...but can't see how many fingers! :lol:

Great grey owl hunting in my yard this morning. Going from tree to my deck, to another tree. Hunting little voles; tiny mice; little red squirrels. I can see him just fine....

Jody

Faith
03-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh Jody,

I hope your eye is better. I am sorry to hear you are having problems
with your eye. Have you seen the optometrist?

I hope you are seengin him soon.

Take care,

Faith

mnjodette
03-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Actually, Faith, it's a lot better already. Still some ugly-red there, but it's already much less. So that's a good thing! Called my eye doc and his nurse said that these things are very common; usually have no specific cause, and go away on their own. Unless it's painful or causes a change in vision, it's nothing to worry about. She said I could come in, but my doc was not there. Once she told me it was not anything to worry about, I figured I'd just wait it out. I see my rheumatologist on Tuesday and she may have some input (re: whether or not it might be lupus related.) I was worried it would take a long time to go away since I'm on prednisone. I only wish my bruises would go away that fast!

Jody

sits_inthe_corner
03-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Jody

I'm so glad that your eyes are clearing up quickly...hugssss now dont do that again :lol:

mnjodette
03-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Never again, SITC! Funny...my 7 year old granddaughter sleeps with me when she visits and when I told her about my eye she said "I didn't poke you in your sleep, Nana...it wasn't me!" Cute....
:D

Jody