PDA

View Full Version : Things that perk me up...

sits_inthe_corner
02-23-2008, 09:14 AM
I just slapped on some Jesse Cook music....and it got me thinking...I just can play his music with out perking up. He plays a classical guitar and does salsa music. He did a bob dylan tune "it aint me babe" cause he wanted to hear what a bob dylan tune would sound like in salsa...it's great!

When I listen to his music it reminds me of sitting out on my back deck with a nice glass of red wine, in the shade of course. (dont tell me I can have red wine or I'll give you such a pinch!)

It's just so relaxing....gawd I want spring to get here lol.

But it got me wondering what little things make your day, or brighten you up? What floats your boat? What puts a snap in your bloomers?

Oluwa
02-23-2008, 04:16 PM
When I walk around with my bloomers on my head.

rob
02-23-2008, 05:17 PM
One of my daily enjoyments is the music of Alison Krauss and Union Station. She has the voice of an angel and plays excellent violin as well. Such talent. The Eagles, and Don Henley are one of my other favorites. My other daily enjoyment comes from running model trains. I'm slowly building a layout, and I have fun making buildings and scenery. It's a work in progress. My cats also love the trains. They do what I call "A Godzilla" which consists of them walking down the main street of the miniature town, and stomping on all the little people and overturning cars. The smell of the smoke, and the clackety clack of the rails reminds me of going to my Grandfather's house and running his trains when I was a kid.

sits_inthe_corner
02-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Oluwa

:silly: That's quite the mental pic you've given me rofl. Ummm boxers briefs or thongs? hahahahaha

sits_inthe_corner
02-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Rob

I have a little christmas village that goes up every year. My can loves the village and my dog runs around with the train lol...it's taken a beating over the years.

I just gave Alison Krauss a listen....I see what you mean about her voice. It's crystal clear and sweet.

Suzique
02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Oluwa,
You have me laughing to tears here! This is one of the things that floats my boat.
Playing games with my 7 year old and watching his little face deep in thought. Walking (when I could) in the forest and listening to the sounds of rippling water, birds chirping, insects creaking.... These have been the sights, sounds, and smells, too, that I have used for relaxation since I was very small. Now, I share them with my child. (He is on a mountain retreat with my hubby enjoying those very things right now :) )

Susan

mnjodette
02-25-2008, 02:16 PM
It's rare that I put undergarments on my head, so I can't relate to that one as a pick me up...but I CAN picture it, Oluwa...yikes! :lol: :lol:

For me, pick me ups might be any kind of Motown music (yeah, yeah...I'm aging myself...) classic movies (with popcorn, of course), reading books with my granddaughter, or sitting on my deck in the evening listening to the 'peepers' - little, tiny spring frogs that are all over the place. And YES...a glass of red wine!!! (I'm with SIT Corner...gotta' have the wine...)

Jody

onpointe
02-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Oluwa that response was hysterical!!! Bloomers on your head! :)

What makes me happy...hmmm, have to think about that...I was born in a coastal town in Oregon and lived by the beach the first half of my childhood. I remember sneaking down to the beach and just sitting listening to the waves. I also thought that God "unplugged" the ocean every night (like a bathtub) because I couldn't hear it when I slept! So I find great comfort when my husband and I drive to the beach (a 45 min trip now) and just being there in the salty air, listening to the waves with the cool sand between my toes. It really comforts and rejuvenates me.
As some of you know, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and we volunteer in the door to door ministry, finding someone who wants to learn about the Bible, or has a kind word really lifts me up when I'm out in service (That's what we call it). Just being with a car group is uplifting and loads of fun as well.

I also enjoy good music and wine, I love to sing!

onpointe

sits_inthe_corner
02-25-2008, 03:54 PM
:multi: I can hardly wait to sit out on the back deck in the evening...sigh...I love soft warm summer nights. Are we there yet? lol

Oluwa
02-25-2008, 08:29 PM
When I wear boxers on my head I call myself a chef..
When I wear bikinis on my head I call it a gas mask. Leg holes for the eyes...

Just woke up from a goodnap...now I am ready to go to sleep. I gave myself a beating yesterday...ugh.

More of me to come....tomorrow. Sorry, I am a party p00per...

Head hugs,
Oluwa

sick n tired
02-25-2008, 11:51 PM
I get perked up when talking to and/or being with friends. Feeling wanted and needed.

I also love listening to good music ( I also like some of the music that today is considered oldies, Jody) ....or a warm summers day...listening to the children playing outside....

sort of relaxes me just to think about it.

Karen

hatlady
02-26-2008, 03:48 PM
:lol: Oh Oluwa!

Music.....especially classical. Right now I'm listening to a Yo Yo Ma cd.

Dinner and dominoes with friends. We have a couple of friends who come over regularly, after dinner we have a wild game of dominoes. Lots of laughter, lots.

And working in my garden. With a hat on of course :wink:

What a wonderful uplifting post!

sits_inthe_corner
02-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Oluwa Sorry to hear you are so tired...I know the feeling. Caught my sefl a couple of times today just stairing at the piece of paper....I was so tired I forgot what I was doing. I think I will be in bed early tonight.

We had a lovely day here today. So on my lunch hour I went for a walk along the harbour water front. It was nice to be outside and to get some fresh air. I dont feel quite so shack wacky now. :P

Oluwa
02-27-2008, 03:04 PM
SIT Corner...

I laugh everytime I read. Oh, look..a cookie. I say it like that when I see any kind of food before I scoop it up. Get in my belly now...

I must saying I am evolving. I left the cocoon...feel better, except I stil feel I have water jugs on my legs...My face was so swollen when I chewed gum I was biting the insides of my cheeks. I felt I looked like Tim Allen in Santa Clause when he started to grow.

Water retention. Maybe from Naproxen..trying to figure out why...

Still tired? Slept well?

Hey HatLady...

When I see your name, your post I always envision you in a garden with a lovely brimmed hat. You just seem so peaceful...I hope you are.

Does anyone else envision what each of look like as we read their posts. I do. I know you are all beautiful, just by your words, your care, your sensitivity and the ability to give of yourself, your thoughts to me, to us..to all... Thank you everyone.
Really, with all my heart.
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
02-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Hugsssssssssss Oluwa

Hang in there...this too shall pass. Are you doing all the good fluid reduction things...that dont really work...but we do them anyway?

Oluwa
02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh yes, SITC... trying to keep the edema tide out. I've attached a spigot to the right of my thigh...

Just took a hot shower, maybe I sweated an ounce or two...

Ate light, drank heavily...H2oh and Cranberry. Must be the Naproxen, as I recall I think that happened a bit ago. Oh, gee who was it here that said their legs where like chunankles..trunankles..Kankles.. Oh, it was something cute and funny...

Mine looked like hard lard...

Spring is the way, hey...
Oluwa

rob
02-27-2008, 05:55 PM
HatLady,

I mentioned that I like Alison Krauss, you mentioned you like Yo Yo Ma. Have you heard any of the music they have done together? Go to youtube and search either artists name, and look for a song callled "Slumber My Darling". They really sound great together. If you like more modern classical music, you should listen to the music of John Barry. He's an English Conductor/Composer who has done some of the greatest movie soundtracks ever. Somewhere In Time, and Dances With Wolves are two of the best he's done. He has a compilation out called "Moviola" which is absolutely beautiful stuff.

PS- Yes, I admit that I am rather smitten with Alison Krauss, Smart, Talented, Beautiful. Anyone out there happen to have her phone number?

rob
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey Oluwa,

I find myself conjuring up mental pictures of people online all the time. And I thought I was the only one who did that! Too funny.

sits_inthe_corner
02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
One thing my physical therapist had me do was lay on my back and put my heels on the wall. He said not to keep the legs straight. Just to let them relax.

When my swelling starts up I lay on my bed and put my heels on the wall so o_/ and stay there for no more than 10 minutes. He suggested I do this several times a day. That plus using compression socks helped some. And anything is better than nothing. Also if you have hot spots on your knees. Area's that are warmer to the touch than surrounding area's, ice them for no more than 10 minutes.

He also warned not to ware the compression socks to bed. It's actually quite bad for the veins.

Hope this helps...hugs.