PDA

View Full Version : Upset about giving my dog to someone else.

onpointe
02-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi All,

Haven't been checking in lately, I've been moving home now that I have a functional (not to mention very cute) bathroom. I was staying with a friend while the remodel was going on because the stress put me in the hospital with a bad flare so my husband thought I should stay out of the environment while he finished the remodel. While I was staying at my friends house I realized how much more calm her house was than mine. She has as many indoor cats as I have, 5, but they seem happier and less stressed. Well, I realized it was my dog Chloe. When I came home she was so happy to see me but was so hyper I couldn't take it. I love her lots and have had her for five years. She's a Border Collie/German Shepard mix, she's smart, sweet and loving and needs FAR more attention than I can now give her. She's so jealous of the cats and feels the need to "herd" them (it's a Border Collie thing) that it stresses them and me. So, we talked it over and decided to try to find her a really good home. We found one sooner than expected, a young woman that my mother works with is looking for a dog, she came over the other day and just fell in love with Chloe and Chloe seemed to really take to her. I WAS so glad that she will be leaving and going to such a loving home. However, I am now sad as the day draws closer for her to actually leave. She is going to be picked up tomorrow. I've been crying my eyes out all day and have been flip flopping back and forth between keeping her and letting her go. Like I said, she's a great dog, a little bit of a spaz but that's my fault, I can no longer walk her everyday or give her the attention she so badly wants. Don't get me wrong, we've given her a very comfy and spoiled life, I just want what's best for her and for my household and I think her going to someone else who will lavish her with tons of attention is great. My fear is that she will feel that we have abandoned her and/or she will totaly freak out not being with us (this has happened when we have gone on a three day vacation in the past). I also hope that her new family is as good as they sound, I worry that she won't be safe or loved and I'm sure those are unfounded fears but she has been in my care since she was two months old and I feel the need to see this through but don't want to do it at the cost of her not getting what she needs and at the cost of my health and stress level.

I know this has gone on and on, I just needed to vent I guess. I am so sad, it's like one more thing this disease has taken from me, I just hate having to make this change.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Onpointe

sits_inthe_corner
02-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Awwww onpointe, it's a tough situation. Pehaps when they come to get the dog, you could ask them to give you a call and let you know how things are going or if for any reason this doesn't work out would they please give you a call, because you would rather have Chloe come back to you then put into a third home or a shelter. Just give them that option.

I understand your frustration. I have german short hair pointer who was raised with an elderly cat. That cat passed away 2 yrs ago. I waited a couple of months then I went out and adopted another cat. It was three months of hell. The dog did NOT take to the new cat. Poor hubby was so patient helping me to work with the cat and dog so they could be in the same room together. It just wasn't working.

One day I just gave up. I figured after three months if they couldn't work it out then I'ld had enough. I was so upset. I love my dog and this cat is beautiful and very gentle and (omg) loving.

I lucked out...befor I could call the shelter I walked into the living room and there were the cat and the dog curled up on the dog's blankey sound asleep. So I never made the call. The little brats must have read my mind and decided to behave.

I haven't forgoten what those three months were like. I couldn't go through that again. It's amazing what you'll deal with when you dont know that it's going to go on and on and on. I would NOT choose to do it again.

I know how hard it is, but Chloe has a chance to be with family who can help her burn some of that energy off.

Our Schultz is pointer which is a very hyper breed. Thank goodness he's also 11yrs old and where he's going to take one of his many naps is his biggest concern these days lol. I couldn't handle a younger version of him right now...I just dont have the energy. He was like Tigger on 10 cups of coffee!

Hugsss, let us know how things work out and how you are doing.

onpointe
02-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Thanks for writing...I know that when I get on the other side of this I'm going to be glad to have the stress gone and (hopefully) glad that she's got a new family that loves her. My one request was that if for ANY reason it doesn't work out or they can't keep her, they bring her back to us, I even said that if it's five years down the road and they can't keep her, PLEASE give her back! She agreed, I hope she will honor that request. I'm still flip flopping, it's rough, she's the only dog I've had in my adult life and probably the last. My husband is pretty sad too and has made it very clear that he won't go through this again, I can't blame him, right now it just sucks all around. I hope my outlook is different in a couple of weeks. :)

Glad to hear that your animals worked it out. ;) We have a really old cat that we have been considering putting to sleep because she's very arthritic (like I need to deal with this right now!!!) and all of the sudden she's dancing the jig, it's like they know or something!

Thanks again, I appreciate your caring very much!

Onpointe

sits_inthe_corner
02-23-2008, 05:21 AM
:lol: I had my cat for 13 yrs, and she was going down hill...I didn't think she would last another month. It was breaking my heart. That's why we got our dog. We brought him in as a puppys so the cat could dominate him. The cat flipped out and hid in the basement for three days. I was soooo upset. I though I wrecked her last bit of time on this planet by agreeing to bring a dog in.

But after three days she marched upstars...right over to the dog and swatted him with her paw. No claws lol. just paw. With that settled they became good friends and she lived until she was 21. In her later years, the she would forget where her food dish was and schultz would herd her back to her dish. You could see the "oh look...food!" on her face. He'd do this untill she finished eating. Which is really saying something because my do is a tramp for food.

But sadly there came a time when I had to ask myself if I was letting the cat suffer because I didn't want to say goodbye. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, but I did.

The vet asked me if I was going to stay with her till the end...I said yes and I'm very glad I did. I found out that they put them to sleep before they give them the leathal injection only if you stay! I was horrified. What if I hadn't stayed~they dont warn you about what happens if you choose not to stay. The animal is awake and that injection can cause great pain. Always always insist they put them to sleep first. Even if you cant stand the thought of holding them or being in the room ... insist that they put them to sleep first.

Sorry I know that's kind of morbid but I dont want anyone to be mislead about what happens.

rob
02-23-2008, 05:49 AM
That is a very hard decision. I have 3 cats, and they are my best friends, so I understand the love you have for your pets very much. From what you have talked about, it sounds like you made the right decision for you, your dog, and your cat who has suddenly learned to dance! There are people in this world who would have taken their pet to the animal shelter (death sentence), or worse, abandoned the animal for it to fend on its own, all alone. You sought out a responsible, loving person who will care for and love your dog. Stop in and check on her from time to time if the new owners will allow it, to help set your mind at ease. As hard as this is, I believe you made a responsible, and caring choice, and are acting in the dog's best interest, as well as yours. And the lucky new owner may have just found a new best friend.

mnjodette
02-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Oh, onpointe, I'm so sorry...that's really difficult. I think you're doing the right thing, though. Your health is dependant on managing stress, and a 'hyper' household is...let's face it...stressful. You're also doing something good for your wonderful pet. Some dogs need a lot of exercise to really be happy, and if you can't do that any longer, this is the right thing. I'm glad you made it clear to the new owner that you want your dog back if things don't work out. That should give you some peace of mind. I know you'll look back on your decision and be glad you made it....

Jody

onpointe
02-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Hi All,

Thank you SO much for the kind words and encouragement!! I am soooo glad that I joined this forum and have "met" such wonderful people!

Well, we did it, Chloe left with her new "mommy" today. I was a total mess, Nely, the young lady who now has Chloe was so worried about me because I was such a wreck when they left, she called me when she got home to see if I was ok, what a sweet person! That made me feel good, I do feel like I've sent her to the best home I could. My reaction right now though is to go get Chloe! I hope this passes soon. I called later this evening to see how things were going and they seem to be going ok. I sent a pair of butterfly wings with Chloe that we put on her from time to time b/c she looks so stinkin' cute in them. I guess she found them and put her paws up so that they could be put on and now they can't get her out of them! Silly puppy! I think it's because they remind her of us and that just breaks my heart! It's so weird how quiet things are around here too, I know I'll get used to this but she's been my shadow for the last five years, that's a long time to have a companion and then voluntarily give her away, I feel like a really bad person right now, my guilt level is through the roof!!!! Logically I know that this is best for her and my household but my heart says go get her and bring her home! It will just take time I guess, Nely said I can call as often as I like to check in on Chloe (boy is she going to regret that soon!) so three calls today and I'm sure I won't be able to resist calling first thing in the morning to see how her night went. We are also going to go see her in a couple of weeks. We thought it best to give her time to settle in before we go. I am so glad they are willing to let us still see her! :)

I am a very thorough and somewhat untrusting person so I wrote out a contract stating that Nely will care for Chloe up to our standards and that if for any reason she can't keep her she is to be given back to us and only us. I had Nely sign and date it along with my husband and myself and then I had it witnessed. I also keep a spreadsheet of all the vaccines and health care my animals receive (right down to the serial numbers of the vaccines incase of a recall) and the name of her vet, plus her rabies certificate and microchip info. I even mapquested a dog park close to where Nely lives and gave her that info along with all of Chloe's toys, leashes, bed, etc... Oh and I checked out her house and neighborhood via satelite photos to make sure Chloe would be in a safe area. Ok, ok, I know, that's a little nutty but I just really want to make sure she's ok. I wasn't able to have children so I treat my pets like my kids so this really felt like I was giving away my kid, it's just awful but for the best, it's no fun for a great dog who needs to be active to lay around with a sick person and that's what it boils down to.

I also wanted to respond to the comment about euthanasia. Over the years we have taken in many stray cats. We ALWAYS have them leukemia/FIV tested before they step foot into the house, then have them spayed/neutered, microchiped, vax, etc... (we don't ever let them have babies, there are enough cats as it is)and I've had a few that had genetic problems that made it necessary for us to have them put to sleep. I am a big believer in being there when this happens, I want my face to be the last thing they see, and I try to comfort them as much as possible during the process. I used to work at a vet clinic and it is soooooo much harder on the animals when the owners don't stay, they are confused and scared so I have always stayed. It's also one of those things that no one wants to have to ever do but if they are in pain at least we can end their suffering if we have to and be the one comforting them when it happens.

Ok, so I went on and on again, thanks so much for letting me talk, this is such a great place to "bend an ear". :) Whew! This was very stressful and I feel a flare coming on but at least it will only be one instead of many due to the stress of a dog that needs more than I can give. I know she's just a dog but please keep her in your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Very thankful to have you all!

onpointe

sits_inthe_corner
02-24-2008, 02:34 AM
onpointe

Awww hugsss....I'm so glad Chloe's new family are so thoughtful. I'm sure she's in good hands. Tough thing to do but you wouldn't have gone through with it if you had doubts about what was best for Chloe. And the contract lets the new owners know that if things should not work out, you were serious about returning Chloe.

Hugsss

rob
02-24-2008, 05:15 AM
Onpointe, you are NOT a bad person. You have NOTHING to be guilty about. The world could use a lot more responsible, loving pet owners like you. One of my cats, Sasha, is a cute little tuxedo cat that was a stray who I rescued from the streets of Phoenix. Sasha had a surprise, she had 4 beautiful tuxedo kittens! I knew I couldn't keep all these cats. I was around the kittens every day from the day they were born. They were "my kids". At 8 months old I had them all fixed, and started searching for homes for them. My parents, who just lost a cat of 21 years (another stray I found) adopted one, a good friend adopted two, and I decided to keep one so Sasha could still be with one of her kids. When I decided to find homes for the little guys, it was terribly hard. I felt like I was abandoning them, but I knew I couldn't handle all those cats, and their quality of life would be less. I made the right choice though, as Sasha and her daughter named Fuzzy, are happy and healthy, my parents absolutely love Smudge, and the other two cats have brought so much happiness to my friends who adopted them. It hurts, but you did a good thing for Chloe.

sits_inthe_corner
02-24-2008, 05:49 AM
That's quite true Rob.

There's lots of folks who do not respect the rights of their pets. You've shown alot of care and concern for your Chloe, onpointe. You kept her needs in mind too. All of the pets I've had over the years have been strays or from shelters.

My latest guy, Hogan, I got from an animal shelter. Even they jerked me around about him. He has multiple paws; which are tricky to care for. I asked the manager of the shelter to show me how to trim his nails. Instead the manager cut them with out me there and he did alot of damage. Poor thing had bloody infected paws when I picked him up and he was running a dangerously high temp.

I just nicely got him cleared up from that...and we found out he has an inflamed bowel conditions...I'm not one to spend alot of money on life threatening conditions for animals. But...I did :oops: he costs me twice a year when this conditions flares and he needs meds that are NOT cheap. And he is on a special diet for the rest of his life.

I'm sure this health reason is why he was dumped in the first place. But he is such a sweet and loving cat, my dog just loves him to bits...only took three months to get the dog to not want to rip the cat apart...but now they sleep together and are good company through the day while we are all away at work.

You did the right thing onepointe....it hurts right now cause you have a good heart. Chloe will become one with this new family...and you will be able to relax and know that Chloe is loved.

onpointe
02-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Thank you again for the kind words and support, I really do appreciate it! :D

I talked to Chloe's new mom again today and she seems to be doing well. She snored all night last night (we warned them ;) ) which is a good sign that she feels comfortable enough with them to sleep deeply, I'm so glad. She went for a walk last night and this morning and the family has been playing catch with her all day, that's more exercise than she's gotten from me in some time so I'm so glad she's there!!! I also noticed that the cats were more relaxed last night, don't get me wrong, Chloe LOVED the cats but she smothered them and would break up any "play" fights as she didn't know the difference so they had a good time playing last night. That plus how quiet and peaceful our house is, is making me feel better about this decision. :)

Thank you again for all your support, it really helped me get through this, really! :) I'll keep you all posted on how she's doing over there, we go to visit in a couple of weeks. :)

Thanks again!!!!

onpointe

onpointe
02-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Hi All,

Well it's the middle of the night and I can't sleep, nothing new there. :)

I am having a "I miss Chloe" moment. I've been crying all night. Making the decision to re-home her then actually finding a good home happened so fast that I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision. I talked to Nely again today, she said Chloe is doing ok. There is a problem though, I told Nely that Chloe is intimidated by men, especially when they stand up, once she is around that person long enough she's fine but there is a period of adjustment. Nely has brothers and I guess Chloe REALLY doesn't like them, or so it seems. I tried to reassure Nely that it will get better the more time they spend with Chloe. Nely then said that her parents are on vacation with her four year old nephew (who Chloe will LOVE BTW) and her mom is afraid of dogs. I wasn't aware of this. I'm worried for a few reasons. 1. I don't want the brothers to think Chloe is a bad or unlikeable dog because their first impression of her is that she doesn't like them, I keep trying to tell them this will pass, I just don't want her to be labled and not given a chance. 2. By the time Nely's mom gets home, Chloe is going to feel like that's her home and that Nely's mom is the one out of place. I guess her mom is BIG on first impressions and unfortunately Chloe doesn't do so hot on first impression. So, I've been asked to come over to their house next Monday before the mom gets back and help Chloe adjust to the mom (I don't know her name, that's why she's just "the mom" for now.) I am afraid this is too soon for both Chloe and I. I KNOW I won't be able to hold back my tears and I'm so afraid it will confuse Chloe but I don't want the mom to feel threatened by Chloe and vice versa. I don't know what to do, part of me hopes that "the mom" doesn't like Chloe and she can come home, the other part wants what's best for Chloe and I'm hoping it's this new family. So far Nely has been very good to Chloe, walking her, even running with her, playing ball, baths, treats all of it. I've also been told that if "the mom" likes a dog she spoils it to death and that's who Chloe would be with during the day when Nely is at work. That plus a four year old, that's Chloe heaven! :)

I do miss her terribly and feel like a made the decision too quickly, I dunno, I've never re-homed a pet so I don't know if this feeling of contentment then sadness then contentment then sadness is normal or not. Anyone else been through this?

Thanks for letting me vent...again. :)

onpointe

Saysusie
02-26-2008, 10:01 AM
When my daughter passed, she had two kittens (brother and sister). Her husband sold their house and moved to a condo that did not accept pets. So, I took her kittens. I had a kitten of my own, several months younger than my daughter's. The female (Alexis) got along well with my kitten (A male, pharaoh). However, the older male (Jerimiah) was constantly fighting, biting and bullying my male kitten. It got to the point that Pharaoh would hide in corners and was shaking all of the time. We'd come home to find large tufts of his hair around the house.
I had to give Jeremiah to another family. It was either that or watch him slowly kill Pharaoh. I cried and cried at having to give my daughter's kitten away. I missed him horribly and, like you, thought that I had made the wrong decision. I gave him to a very nice family who treated him very well. But, there was a long adjustment period (Jeremiah was terrorizing their little shiatsu). However, after 3-4 months, everything settled down. I was a total wreck during those months, each time I'd hear them talk about his behavior, I just knew that I had made a big mistake. During those 3-4 months, however, the family never gave up on Jeremiah and kept working with him. He is now fat, lazy, happy and a part of their family.
I still have twinges of guilt for giving my daughter's pet away. But, everything worked out and I pray that things will also work out for you and Chloe. Pets need an adjustment period, just like people do when in a new environment. They need reassurance in that new environment and they also need to learn the new rules of the house. This takes time and patience. Too often, people feel that they do not need to have patience with animals, if they don't fit immediately, they are ready to give up. That is unfair to the animal. I hope that Chloe's new owners decide to be patient with her and allow her and themselves sufficient time to adjust to one another. They sound like a wonderful, caring family and I hope that it all works out.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

onpointe
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Saysusie,

Thank you for your kind words, it really helps. :)

It's funny, as I was reading your experience, I was agreeing with your desicion, it was the right thing for you to do, we can always see it in other people but when our own emotions are involved it's a different story isn't it. You are right though, I had to do it, I'm sure I will second guess myself for awhile, once she's ok there I will feel better.I'm glad your kitty became such a big part of their family (and that your other kitty survived!).

Thanks again for the comforting words, I really appreciate it!

onpointe

Missy
02-26-2008, 06:45 PM
I did re-home a puppy, too, after our current dog at the time was not happy with having a hyper puppy around and I think the back and forth feelings are totally normal. Like you, I was really concerned that this puppy get a home it deserved. We were also moving, and I was a crying mess when she left. Also, the woman and her child and grandchild came over to visit the dog. The woman was just as concerned that it would be a right fit for her, too. Anyhow, it got easier as time went on and I saw how much better my other dog was obviously feeling. The woman called me to tell me everything was going well a couple times before I moved. I really appreciated that. I could even hear my puppy barking in the background, and the woman said "oh, she's just letting me know someone is passing by the front door." She said it with such pride and not one ounce of annoyance, and I knew my puppy was already becoming protective of her.

Anyway, I"m thinking of you and hoping the best for you!

sick n tired
02-26-2008, 11:14 PM
We just had to give our golden retriever away. I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with it. I know what it is to lose a beloved pet. For me it is just having to give in to yet another thing having to do with Lupus.

Karen

onpointe
02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Missy,

Thank you for telling me your story. It gives me hope to hear that things turned out well for other people in a similair situation. :)

I am doing better today with it, just that back and forth thing, I checked in with her new family and she's still adjusting but has really taken to her new mommy. :)

Thanks again for the kind words.

onpointe

Saysusie
02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
OnPointe;
Sorry it took me so long to respond. Just wanted to say the you are most welcome and you're right, when it does not involve our emotions, we can make very good decisions. On the other hand, when our hearts are involved, we do not seem to do as well :lol:
You are right, you did make the right decision and, hopefully, very soon you will be much more at ease.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

onpointe
02-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Saysusie,

Thanks for reassuring me, I need that right now. :) I am starting to be more comfortable with the decision, it's hard though. I guess she's doing better at her new home, she still hasn't warmed up to everyone yet, I keep telling them it will just take time. I guess it will just take time for me too. :)

Karen,

I'm so sorry I didn't respond to you, I didn't see your post, I guess I didn't see that there was another page (how kind for some many to respond!) I wanted to say how sorry I am about your dog too. That is exactly how I felt, like Lupus took one more thing from me, I get it, I really do. We will get through this together, that's one thing Lupus can't take from us. :)

Thank you again for you kind words,

onpointe

rob
02-28-2008, 04:44 PM
I know it's been a rough week for you Onpointe, but you sound like you are doing better. It will take time, but you will be OK.

onpointe
02-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks Rob,

It's getting better, I have been getting updates on how spoiled she is over there, sounds like she's in Chloe heaven! :)

I am now having to face the sad decision to rehome some of my cats. :( I'm such a sucker for strays that I've taken in so many over the past few years (leukemia/FIV tested, spay/neuter, microchiped them all) I'm up to 11! Some are indoors and we built a little cat enclosure for them to have some outside time and some are outside due to behavior issues. Well the neighbors are starting to complain about their flowerbeds (due to the amount of cats we have) so I am trying to find homes for some them, if you know anyone in the northwest looking for good outdoor cats let me know. ;)

Thank you for caring! BTW, I have been meaning to write to you, will do so soon.

Thanks again!

onpointe

onpointe
03-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Ok, so this is weird....

Neley, the girl who I gave Chloe to is 25 and lives with her parents because she's in college. Anyway, her parents were on vacation when she came to get Chloe, she says she asked them if she could have a dog and they said yes. Everything has been going well, Chloe is spoiled and loving it! The dad comes home and decides he doesn't like Chloe because she's too big to be in the house (not true) and that he was "taking his permission back." So Neley calls me tonight in tears saying she has to bring Chloe back. First of all, I'm glad that she honored our agreement about bringing her back if she could keep her, however, this is going to be so confusing for Chloe! We have been on vacation longer than this and I'm afraid that if we try to re-home her to someone else, she will think that it's just temporary and that we will pick her up soon! Blurgh! I was just getting used to not having her around. What do ya do though, I gotta see it through. Poor Neley. :(

Ok, thanks for letting me vent, I know there are MUCH bigger problems in the world, I just needed to get this off my chest I guess. :)

onpointe

rob
03-07-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Onpointe. Yes there are probably bigger problems in the world, but in your world, this is a big problem. Do you think you can go ahead and try to find another possible person to adopt her? If so, maybe that's the best bet. Are there any no-kill shelters in your area with a bulletin board. We have one here, and they will let people put up pics and descriptions of pets up for adoption. Part of their mission besides housing homeless animals in a healthy environment, is to bring prospective pet owners together with people who have a pet up for adoption. That way many animals never have to even end up at their shelter. I'm willing to bet you may have the same kind of places in your corner of the world. Let us know how it goes, and go easy on yourself.

Rob

Oluwa
03-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Onpointe,

Have you ever had Chloe trained...or attended obedient school. That would be an option if you really want her to stay.

I have a Jack Russell...an espresso drinking type of behavior dog. Hyper, jumping is correctable behavior, without breaking their spirit. She is a very wanting to please little girl, but in the beginning should would literally walk on your head and shoulder if sitting. Jump up to your chest while standing. Now I just have to say, "whaddaya doin?" in a mild low voice...if she is doing something I don't want her to do....like poking her nose in the cat's butt.

Have you seen the Dog Whisper...amazing. Dogs can be rehabilitated..and it makes everyone in the house happy, even the dog. Watch him, he gives great lessons indirectly to us humans too...he cares. When animals are led they can give us so much fulfillment...without being a nuisance.

I have a fat cat too....

Happy Friday,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
03-08-2008, 02:06 AM
onpointe

Oluwa is quite right.....some behavior classes would be great for chloe you and heck the whole house hold. And yes old dogs can learn new tricks lol.

We have an 85 pound german short haired pointer. I took him to "family" life style classes. Which helps you curb a dogs behavior so he fits into your family. My baby is very loving but way full of energy bounce and go...thank gawd he is starting to slow down abit at 11 yrs. I dont think I could have handled having him if he wasn't trained. Also just the act of going through some of the training excersizes really helps to build your realtionship with the dog. And the dog is alot happier for it and so will you be.

Good luck N hugs

onpointe
03-08-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the input! That was really nice of you. :)

Chloe has been trained. I used to work at a vet clinic with some off-the-charts dog lovers and I took Chloe to work with me everyday. While I worked there they helped me train her which was a big help. She's a really smart girl and pics up on training very easily. She also wants TONS of attention, WAAAAAAAAAAYYYY more than I can give her, and I have to admit, it's because, dare I say....I'm a cat person. Don't get me wrong, I love Chloe but she's not first in line for my attention and she will settle for nothing less; enter the neurotic dog. ;)

I know I said that we would probably keep her because we don't want to confuse her, and that's true, I don't want to send her somewhere else and have her think that we will be back to get her in a couple of weeks. However, she will adjust and we've decided that we are going to try to find her another home, a good stable home. It's just been so much more peaceful here since she's been gone, she "herds" the cats and I didn't realize how stressful that was on them and us. You can only train a dog so much and trust me I have, but she wants lots of attention and play time, there is nothing wrong with her wanting those things so I think she needs to go somewhere where she will get what she needs.

Ok, before you all decide that I'm a horrible person for not meeting her needs and loving my cats more, let me just say this...it wasn't always this way, after I got Chloe, I got the job at the vet clinic and things were fine, we were trying (again) to have a baby, well, I got pregnant and had to continue to work at the vet clinic and I had really bad morning sickness (morning my foot! Try all day and night!!!) I'm sure most of you know this, but certain things that you are around when you are sick like that become triggers, the smell of dog was my trigger, you would not believe the things I saw and smelled!! I can't be in a vet clinic or the groomers for more than a few minutes now without wanting to barf! I've tried to not let it bother me but it's kinda out of my hands and I've tried sooooo hard to give Chloe what she needs but between this darn Lupus and wanting to barf when I pet a her, it hasn't been easy. Oh and I lost the baby to boot!

We are going to put an ad in for her and just put feelers out (Thanks for the tip Rob:) ), I know we can find a loving home for her. I just want her safe and loved and happy.

Thank you all for your input and support though, I really do appreciate it!!! :) Hey, anyone want a dog? ;)

onpointe

sits_inthe_corner
03-08-2008, 03:19 AM
onpointe

You know for yourself what's best ... and it's not an easy choise. I certainly dont judge your decision; it's a tough one to make. I remember all too well the three months of hell these two idoits put my through. I had just given up cause I couldn't take it anymore and was about to find my hogan a new home when all of a sudden they decided to be best friends. I know I lucked out.

That doesn't always happen and your cats and your chloe have been around long enough that they should have worked out their relationship. Obviously that's not going to happen. You are treating chloe with love and respect by finding her a secure and happy home...not just dumping her somewhere that she could get hurt. That is the caring thing to do for all of you.

Hugsss onpointe I hope you find a good home for chloe soon.

Saysusie
03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Chloe;
In now way do any of us feel that you are a bad person because you need to find another home for Chloe. In fact, loving her but having her be the cause of some of your stress and stress to your other animals will be felt by her. Animals can pick up our emotions and, I would bet money, Chloe can probably pick up on yours. So, in truth, it might be a disservice to you and to her for you to try to keep her.
You are doing the very best that you can; trying to find her a loving home where she will be happy, and you will feel comfortable. I am so sorry that it did not work out this time. But, it will. You've been given some excellent advice and I hope that some of it provides you and Chloe with what you need.
You are not being selfish, nor are you being uncaring...you are trying to do what is best for everyone - and especially for you!
I hope that everything works out.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Quarterhorsegal
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Have you considered listing her on petfinder.com ? I have adopted 3 dogs from that site over the years. I am sure you will find a great home for her. She is lucky to have such a caring person looking out for her welfare. Not all animals are so fortunate.

mnjodette
03-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Onpointe, any luck with a home for Chloe? Just catching up on posts and I see that you needed to find another home for her. So sorry the last one didn't work out - I know you were counting on that. No...you are NOT a bad person for recognizing your limitations and the needs of your dog. I think that makes you pretty darn smart, actually. I hope it works out....

Jody

onpointe
03-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi Jody,

Thanks for checkin' in. No, we have not found a new home for Chloe yet, I really hope we do soon though. We had one lady who was interested in her but she lives in downtown Portland and I don't think Chloe would get used to the city noises very well. She was a very nice person, we just didn't feel that it was the best fit for Chloe.

I have her posted on Craigs list and I have flyers up around town. Oh, someone had mentioned posting her on Petfinder.com, I did and I should probably share my experience...I'm sure it is a great way for people to adopt pets and it may turn out to be a great way for Chloe to find a home but, like anything else, beware. I got several e-mails from people with broken english, at best, wanting me to ship her here and there ASAP using very confusing shipping info and they all wanted to give me waaaayyy more money than the rehoming fee I had asked for. I of course knew that something was up so I contacted petfinder.com and they said it is a spin off of the Nigerian Scam. Blurgh! Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know my experience, of course I am aware that you are all too smart to fall for that stuff but just wanted to pass it along.

On a happier note, we have been successful in rehoming some of our 11 cats, the last one leave tomorrow to a wonderful home, we will then be down to just four! Once we find a home for Chloe, our house is going to get very quiet! I guess that's good and and little sad but I'm so glad that we were able to find such good homes for them.

If you know anyone in the NW looking for a good dog let me know. :)

Thanks again for checking in.

onpointe

mnjodette
03-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Onpointe, tell me again, what breed of dog is Chloe? We have a new person in our office that does volunteer work for a pet rescue network. Much of what they do is match people and pets. They are regional, but connected to a national network. I'll bet she'd have some suggestions for you. (My sister, who trains dogs and is a certified judge for dog shows, tells me it's a very reputable group.)

Jody

Gisèle
03-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Aww, I am so sorry you are in this situation, it must be incredibly difficult for you. Animals are very smart, and they know things. Chloe probably knows that you love her very very much, and you want her to have the best life she can have, and she knows that you are doing what's best for her. When she does go to a new family, she will always remember what a great mom you were.

Hopefully, you can find a nice family with children who can satisfy Chloe's abundant need for attention and playtime.

You are not a bad person at all, you are a very caring and thoughtful person. You are doing what you believe is the best thing to do. It's great that you are being very thorough in the search for her new home and family, and you are seeking the perfect family, that's love!

My suggestion is to try to find someone that you know(or like a friend's friend, etc.) to take Chloe, it would offer more piece of mind. Also, if I were in your situation, I would even put the potential new owner(s) through a bit of an interview, and maybe even see Chloe's new potential living environment. Also, I would obtain the permission of her new family to perhaps visit her once in a while, I am sure she would enjoy that and you would, too!

Please keep us updated!

Edit: I have to add that I LOVE your avatar, I love French Kitty!

rob
03-22-2008, 02:33 AM
Hi onpointe,

I'm back. Sorry to hear you haven't found a new home for Chloe yet. Sounds like you are doing ok otherwise. Gotta go for now. Talk to you again soon.

onpointe
03-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Hi ALL,

Sorry I haven't checked in lately, we had my step-son out for a visit over a long weekend. He's 13 and a bundle of energy! :) I love that kid but he sure wears me out. :)

Jody, Chloe is a Border Collie/German Sheppard mix, she's about 45-50 lbs, she has the body type of a BC but the coat and markings of a GS. She's very cute with floppy ears. :) Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Thanks again for the posts, I'm glad you like my avatar! I'm half French (third generation) and have always had and loved cats so I thought it was fitting. :)

onpointe

Oluwa
04-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Hi Onpointe...

Just thinking of you, and wondering how life has been in Oregon?

Chloe has a new home yet? All still quiet...Lupus quiet? I hope so...

Enjoy this day,
Oluwa