PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever

Quarterhorsegal
02-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Arrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
If this cold weather does not let up soon, I think I am going to go crazy! I hate being cooped up in the house because it is too cold to be outside. And, I hate that when I do go outside, I have to put on so many heavy layers of clothes, that I can hardly move. It makes my joints hurt just thinking about it :? . It is just a tease to see the sun and blue sky from inside and know that it is single digits outside ( and below zero with wind chill). Bring on the sunscreen, Bring on the hats, bring on some warmer weather so I can go OUTSIDE :D . Maybe I will try doing a funky 'bring on the spring' dance today . I don't even care if it rains, just so long as it warms up. However, I would prefer some nice mild overcast, but dry weather, to dry up the ice lake I have in the back yard and pasture. Thinking warm thoughts and hoping you all have a nice day.

Saysusie
02-21-2008, 10:43 AM
I know what you mean. Here is SoCal, we had very nice weather for 3-4 days. Just enough for me to think that I could start doing some outdoor activities. Then, suddenly, it turned cold and rainy with high winds!!
As Lupus sufferers, we are D@!*# if we do and D@!*# if we don't. The sun causes us to flare, knocks us off of our feet for days...so we have to avoid the sun. The cold makes our joints and bones ache and turns us into shut-ins. There's just no happy medium!!
I think I'll join you in your funky 'bring on the spring' dance. We'll dance until we sweat and pass out on our couches. Then we'll sleep until the sun goes down!
Off I go to put on my funky music!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

hatlady
02-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Quarterhorsegal, I so know what you're saying..........

A couple weeks ago I took a fall in the parking lot - black ice. STILL have a huge bruise and a few aches from that. The snow is still out there, we've had more this winter than in the last ump-teen....

I'm just glad the sun is out today. I'm sitting in my office with a shawl around me - over the turtleneck, wool sweater, suit jacket. And my fingers are still cold. Will this @#^% winter ever end?????

redlily14
02-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Warm summer evenings, that's what I'm looking forward to! This will be my first summer with Lupus and dealing with the sun, so I am looking forward to talking long evening walks when the sun goes DOWN!

A friend of mine said I am turning into a vampire.

Mwahahahaha! :twisted:

Rochelle

sits_inthe_corner
02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Brrrrrrrrr! We had one nice mild day on Monday...then back to the freezing cold snap. I hate winter. Sore joints...cant get warm to save my life.

Nights used to be very painful for me. Crawl in to a freezing cold bed my joints would just kill me.

But then it happened....hahahahaha...hubby went on a "guys" road trip to Boston. I knew he felt guilty about leaving me on my ownsum :lol:

So I went shopping....hahahahaha...and I bought a memory foam mattress :D and two sets of polar fleece bed sheets.

Now if I could only find away to get my office to let me work from home in my bed LOL.

sick n tired
02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
It's more than just the cold that I hate. It is cold with rain. Where I am snow is an oddity. The wet just gets into the bones. I can hardly move right now. Like Saysusie said about California is the same here. Last week it got nice and I actually thought that spring was here. Not so we have this cold wet spell. I AM READY FOR SPRING.
Saysusie what are we dancing to for our spring dance? I watched american Idol with my girls this week and they were singing(not very well) 60s hits. I like 70 and 80s myself.

Rochelle, taking warm summer walks sounds so good. I can almost dream of it.

Dreaming of spring,

Karen

rob
02-22-2008, 07:03 AM
We're having an unusually long, cold winter here in Maine. I live right on the coast, so we usually have mild winters, not this year though. I have a new ocean kayak I bought over the winter, and It's out there in the garage calling to me! So cabin fever is alive and well here in my little corner of the world. Bring on the summer!

Suzique
02-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Hello, All: checking in from the North West Coast (Seattle). I would like to invite you all here, at least mentally for a rest and respite. We are having unseasonably beautiful weather. Sunny and merely cool (50's) for the past few days. I feel guilty enjoying it, while all of you are suffering such terrible winter weather, but I wanted to paint a picture you could enjoy. We continue to have frosty nights with a soft blanket of frozen dew on the grass every morning, but the sun quickly thaws that and leaves the area glistening fresh. The rain we are so known for has been absent for at least a week, and the clouds are few - for decoration only. I have spent many an hour on my sun porch (which my husband built for me using UV filtering roofing) lately watching the neighborhood enjoy the weather: dogs playfully straining at their leashes for a run, children playing yard games with shrill giggles, mothers lazily strolling babies in the gentle sun (it really does seem gentle when the temperature is so mild, but I know better than to get directly into it).
Please feel welcome to place yourself where ever you wish, and enjoy this blessing with me. I'll put on some tea for company....

Susan

Saysusie
02-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Oooooh..I wanna be where you are oh oh.....I wanna be where you are..oh oh (You know, everything for me turns into a song). Anyway, Suzique, I wanna come sit on your UV protected sun porch and watch, with awe and wonder, the beauty of life as it saunters by. Sounds sooooooooo perfect! You paint such a descriptive picture that I almost feel as though I am there.
Right now, in SoCal, we are having rain, rain and a bit more rain. Add to that the frigid winds. I am looking at my neighbors, bundled up like they were in the Antartic, still walking their dogs, pushing strollers, and trying to chat with one another as they pass by my window. However, they are leaning so precariously that If the wind died down, I fear they would fall flat on their faces. At any rate, it is quite a hilarious site watching them pass by :lol:

Sick n Tired - We are most definitely rocking out to 70's and 80's music (Although 'Dancin' In The Streets' was from the 60's). You know, that era just after Disco and just before Hip Hop...that's where I live

:lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

sits_inthe_corner
02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I bought some flower seeds last weekend....they need to be planted in march woohoo...to me that's a first sign of spring.

Rob... are you CRAZY...sea kayaking....yikes! Litte boat big waves...you're way braver than I am....

I'll just keep my little feet on the ground and plan out my flower beds lol.

Oluwa
02-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Raining, 45 degrees here......ain't no sunshine when she's gone....it's not warm when she's away.

Waiting for pool weather....
Oluwa

rob
02-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Oh, I don't go out into the open ocean. I'll just be paddling around the harbor and channel islands. It's all pretty shelterd. Ocean kayaks are stable enough to stand up in, and they're nearly impossible to flip over. It's been a long time since I've done something like this. I'm hoping this will be a form of exercise I can tolerate. Got my wide brim boony hat and light longsleeve white shirt ready to go. There's a Bald Eagle living out on one of the small islands across the harbor, I'm hoping to see him/her and maybe get a few pictures. We'll see.

sick n tired
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Oluwa,

You got our rain. It got sunny here , but I was out in it today at a soccer game. Paying for it now. It was chilly and not warm. So I was in the sun without the warmth. At least it would have been nice to be comfy.:-)

Saysusie, I think I will need to wait on dancing. The song dancing in the streets is a great one. I used to like Michael Jackson(music not lifestyle) ...thriller..personal favorite of that era.....not very good at moonwalking myself.....maybe you can be the moonwalker.

Have a restful night,

Karen

mnjodette
02-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Here's the weather report from Northern Minnesota...brrrr! It's been sooo cold this week, and windy. Bright, bright sun (deceiving - like Quarterhorsegal says) and just unbearable to be out in. BUT...it's warming up now. Out of the single digits and into the 20's - maybe even 30's this weekend. That's dancin' weather in this part of the world - at least in February! My hubby and I sat outside in the hot tub last night and watched the moon on the snow. Gorgeous! I wish it had been so mild the night of the full eclipse of the moon - we still watched it, but I had to run outside for a minute; then run back inside - no hot tub that night! I'm thinkin Young Rascals..."Groovin', on a Sunday afternoon...really, couldn't get away too soon...." Love the sound of the birds singing in that recording!

Jody

Oluwa
02-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Jody,

A headline read top ten coldest cities in the USA. All were in Minnesota, man...

Head hug,
Oluwa

mnjodette
02-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Sheesh...what an honor. :wink:

International Falls MN gets that distinction a lot (about 3 hours north of me - right on the border.) They test all kinds of things there: car batteries, cold weather gear for the military, that kind of thing. It's a real 'industry' up there.

The town I live in is right on Lake Superior and the lake makes it a bit warmer in the winter; colder in the summer. If you're on the north shore of the lake, there is generally less snow; south shore of the lake you get LOTS more snow. I think all of the Great Lakes have similar weather patterns.

And that is your meteorlogical lesson for the day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oluwa
02-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Jody,

So, how zit going you guys in Minnuhsoda? Ah, geez in da UP, we called dat der da Banana Belt when I u-sta live der...eh. I u-sta lived on da penisula on Lake Michiganderr...

Isn't da sump' n....
Oluwa

Missy
02-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm just North of Suzique in Washington state and it is still beautiful here today. However, it is definitely not Spring yet. My husband and I have been working on cleaning up the yard today, and even though it hasn't rained for a week (significantly, anyway), the ground is still REALLY wet and I can still hear my sump pump coming on in the basement. I'm done outside for the day - I think I'll have to drag my husband in, he's enjoying being outside so much!

I really needed to see the sunshine and blue sky to remember what it looked like, though, so it's been great!

Even though we technically have "mild weather" here in the Pacific Northwest, there really is something about the rain that chills you to the bone, where you just can't warm up. Those fleece sheets sound so good!

Wishing you all smiles and warmth,

Faith
02-23-2008, 08:27 PM
I am in central/southern california and it's a cross between monsoon season with dust swirling in the air. I could barely see to drive home from an errand this afternoon.

I am very thankful we are not in snow; whew!! Too cold; although you ladies have my deepest sympathies. I hope it warms up soon everywhere.

Susan, I really want to visit Seattle. It sounds beautiful and heavenly.

Rochelle,

How do you like the foam mattress? I bought one last year after not being able to sleep in my own bed (too much pain) for 3+ weeks. Is it a Novafoam? They are so similar to the Temperpedic and are heavenly.

Faith

mnjodette
02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Ya know, us Minnesotans will NEVER live down the movie "Fargo" myth. Nobody I know really talks like that (yah, sure, you betcha...) Acutally...that's a lie. If you lived in the UP, Oluwa, you KNOW some of us DO talk like that. But not me...not ever...well, hardly ever. :oops:

WARMING UP HERE!! Yee haw...in the 30s this weekend and the snow is melting! We'll know it's spring when we can smell the mud coming through the dirty snow. Nice picture, eh? :lol:

Jody

sick n tired
02-26-2008, 12:00 AM
It was actually warm today. In the mid 70's I think. The wind was blowing so hard that I think the temp will be in the 30s to 40's tomorrow. I really hate the flip/flops of the temp right now. It really makes me sicker.

At any rate, some of the trees think that spring is coming so there is hope. We get earlier springs before all of you up north, but you probably have better summers than Texas. My mom says that Texas is over the blow holes of "H*ll. I am almost inclined to agree when july and August comes around.

PTL for airconditioning.

Karen

Oluwa
02-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Hey Jody,

I think the UP and Minnesota have the same accent with the OU sound, like in house, about and etc.

The Fargo accent..that is pretty much how we, they speak in the UP. My sister in law sounds like it exactly and so does two of my brothers. I think it depends on how far and deep in the woods one lives...in da boonies.

When I lived in Seattle, and the movie Fargo came out, I was called Marge by my colleagues, all in fun.

I do say, eh..about and house an mountains...and man, oh yaw, you guys...when I have consumed an alcoholic beverage or when I am involved in a story telling...

I roared..you can smell the dirt coming through. Oh, I remember that smell. Indeed, you knew Spring was in the air...

Back to bed..IT is wrestling with me today. I think IT is winning...ugh.

Well wishes everyone...
Oluwa

mnjodette
02-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Cursed IT...giving you a hard time today, huh? So sorry to hear that. Rest, Oluwa. Hot bath, warm drink, cozy jammies...whatever it takes. Tomorrow will be better...I hope.

Jody