PDA

View Full Version : Lupus and Flu

Razzleberry
02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Does anyone have any experience with a family member having the Flu? Is it easily caught by such as us? Does anyone know the incubation period for Flu? How about precautions? Suggestions?

Saysusie
02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
My personal experience;
Everytime I am in contact with a person who has a cold or flu - I get it! And my flu is always 10 times worse than the person that I got it from (often, I end up hospitalized because I get a horrible viral infection also!)
There are conflicting opinions about Lupus patients getting the flu shot. But, I get one ever year and when any of my friends or family members get sick, I avoid them like the plague (fortunately, they all understand why I do this). Even my husband...when he gets sick, I move into the guest bedroom :?
The reason I avoid persons with the flu is because, most often, flu is spread by breathing in droplets expelled into the air by an infected person's cough. These droplets can land in your eye or nose; or they get on your face and you touch your face and then touch your mouth or rub your eyes or scratch your nose. If you shake hands with a person who is coughing or sneezing, the flu is spread that way (it would be a good idea to wash your hands). You can also get the flu from sharing cups, glasses, or other household objects used by a person who has the flu.
With reference to the incubation period; When you get infected with the flu virus, it multiplies quietly in your body until you get symptoms of the disease and start excreting enough virus to give to someone else. That's the incubation period. For the flu, it is about two to five days. So if you are exposed today, you probably won't have any symptoms for three to five days. Then you have a little headache, maybe a few aches and pains and maybe a low fever. Then, the next day, you have a high fever and a runny nose and then it goes downhill from there.
Most adults are contagious for about five to seven days. With young children, it's longer. The youngest kids (1 to 2 year olds) can be contagious for 10-14 days. And they can also have diarrheal illness when they get the flu. They get more symptoms that we adults typically have.

Note: According to the CDC, people with lowered immune systems (Such as people with Lupus) or people taking drugs to immunosuppressant drugs, can be contagious for weeks or months after infection.

I hope that I've answered your question
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

flyaway
02-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Wow.. seem so so so serious... I'm having very bady flu and caugh now. If flu, its cannot stay inside air-corn room? or cannot get cool in the body? (I feel when i under fan or air-corn room my flu getting worse). As for my caugh, its seem getting worse now and got lot of phlegm when i caugh. How to prevent or get cure from these?

hatlady
02-21-2008, 11:13 AM
You might want to talk to your doctor - as Saysusie said, we can become seriously ill if we get the flu.

Keep warm, keep hydrated. And DO talk to your doc!

For flu prevention, I do get a flu shot as well. I read once that they last 1/2 as long for us lupies, and have 1/2 the effectiveness during the time they DO last. Wonderful eh?

Wash your hands a LOT and wash them thoroughly. don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth unless you've JUST washed your hands and haven't touched anything else. Drink lots of fluids, get lots of rest. And, of course, try to stay away from anyone who is coughing or sneezing.

I also use a neti pot - to wash out my sinuses each day. I really think that helps as well, as I don't think the germs get quite enough time to "attach". If you want information on that, go to npr.org and search their "most e-mailed stories" for "sinus wash" or "neti"

But sometimes it gets you anyway....I hope you feel better soon, dear!

Cami
03-22-2008, 05:57 AM
This site is incredible. I just keep reading and reading and learning. I asked about the flu in a post I made last night and here is the answer in this post!

I've had the flu off and on for about 5 weeks now. Or perhaps I've had the flu 3 times, I'm not sure which.

-First week was fever, cramps, diarrhea for 24 hours. It was fast.

-The second week it was nausea and a lot vomiting (until my ribs hurt)which lasted 3 days with an overall feeling of unwellness lasting a full week.

- Third week symptom free. I was ok, not great, but I could function.

-The fourth week I came down with a fever, chills, aches and pains, congestion, sore throat, coughing and headache. The most severe of these symptoms lasted about 1 week but the congestion and coughing continue. It's been over 2 weeks now. Also, a very odd thing, the congestion seems to have moved into my bowels causing diarrhea with a mucusy discharge. I feel like I need to go all the time. Fortunately, after about 1 week, this seems to be slowing down.

I have never had the flu this bad before. I had an appointment with my rheumatologits during the 3rd week when I didn't have any symptoms. I didn't even think to mention that I'd had the flu. I didn't realize that it could be important information. I am still officially undiagnosed with Lupus, because the blood tests are negative. But my doctor tells me that my symptoms certainly sound like Lupus. (see post under newly diagnosed "I just need to vent. PART II")

I am learning.

flyaway
03-22-2008, 07:17 AM
My doctor suggested me to have 1000mg - 2000mg vitamin C to build up my antibody for flu. It seem working.. Maybe you can try.. :)

sits_inthe_corner
03-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Cold FX is good for colds and flu...it's the only thing I can take with my other meds. Thank goodness it actually works. The sad part is of course...it's expensive :shock: . $35 for a small bottle...sigh but it does work if you follow the directions and it doesn't make me sleepy or hyper.

mnjodette
03-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Sounds awful, Cami. I'd give your doc a call. Sounds like they're still trying to figure out what's going on with you, and any info about symptoms (even flu) may be important info. Give 'em a call.... Let us know how you're doing.

Jody

Moxie
03-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I have just recovered from the flu. I had my flu shot in October ---- my GP told me that the researchers missed the mark this year --- the shot is only 40% effective.

My symptoms started as that snotty feeling and taste in the back of my throat, progressed the next day to a sore throat, headache behind my right eye, barking cough yucky feeling. The next day I progressed to a four day stint of a 101.4 temp, chills, the runs and stomach pains. I drank/ate nothing but tea and clear broth for two weeks and lost ten pounds.

About one week into this mess, my GP saw me and Rx'd amoxicillin 875 mg for ten days, for my upper resp. infection, and took a flu swab for the records. Three days later the flu test came back positive for influenza 'B'. My doc said to keep drinking hot liquids and stay away from other people.

That's my story. Good luck to everyone who ends up on the same end of the stick as I. It was a terrible two weeks. By the way, I'm on plaquenil and methotrexate, which opens the door to oportunistic infections.

sick n tired
03-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Heavens Cami...Thats awful!!!

I hate it that you feel so bad all the time...I read on another post that your doc is holding off the Lupus diagnosis...I know that the pain is better, but have you told her about these symptoms?? They sound really severe.

Hoping for relief for you,

Karen

sits_inthe_corner
03-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Moxie

Sorry to hear you got backdoored by the flue. I had my flue shot as well...doc says we got a different batch and I should be covered. Although what I went through last week I'm not so sure. But at least it wasn't two weeks missery.

misslisa1017
03-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I had the flu, and ended up with Pneumonia from it and was hospitalized. It was no fun :(.

It's been a rotten year so far...........From my stroke in 2007 of Nov....to this darn pneumonia...it's been yucky for me. I also was in the hospital for now potassium levels in Jan 08 the pneumonia was end of feb 08