PDA

View Full Version : medrol really needed?

cranbrycloud
02-17-2008, 11:47 PM
HI all,
Well I posted about a week ago about my new symptoms and low and behold I was in ER last night. I had severe body pain, joints, especially each part of my spine, headache, sensitive skin (i was crying if my boyfriend touched my arm softly and my loose pants rubbing killed me), fever, diarrhea, and i couldn't stand due to muscle weakness for more than 5 minutes, etc... I tried to hold out and take aleve and just bear it but it got worse and worse until i thought i was gonna go crazy, I couldn't even concentrate enough to speak a clear sentence. So, I went in and they gave me an IV, 125mg steroids, pain injections and anti-nasea medication. The did all the labs and my inflamation was in the highest risk category, white blood cells were hightened, everything looking like a new flare etc... So, they sent me home with some perscriptions and told me to consult my rheumy before taking them but i am not sure i can wait until tuesday, long weekend and all. I was given: medrol pack, naproxen, and darvocet. i know not to take the naproxen cause of the liver and kidney risk. and i was told the darvocet was probably ok with food. but for the medrol i am freaked out about it. is it necessary? i have already gained 25 lbs+ from my regular steroid dose and i have been on them a long time, almost 8 months now. they make me so hungry and seriously moody (actually, seriously bitchy and impatient). :(

so, can anyone tell me what it is like to take the medrol? will it make these side effects i have from prednisone worse? anyone have experience with this? additionally, i am taking methotrexate, plaquenil, prednisone, luecovorian, and various vitamins and supplements. i am also taking the darvocet right now for the pain management cause aleve wasn't cutting it. this darvocet is making me feel half drunk and tired all the time so there is no driving to work if i am taking this stuff i guess (I commute and hour each way).
as always, i appreciate all your advice and past experience. thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Faith
02-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi cranbrycloud,

I am sorry you are not feeling well at all. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Medrol is another form of prednisone. Did they give you a dose pack? It will quickly bring down the inflammation or you can bypass it and ask your GP for a Medrol shot or Kenalog shot. Just like prednisone it will make you hungary (I chew gum) and have a hard time sleeping at night.
If you are already on prednisone; I would double check with your rheumy before taking it.

The shots bypass your organs, unlike prednisone or medrol. Cortisone shots can be given every 3 months and bring welcome relief.

Please check with your rhuemy and keep us updated.

Take care,

Faith

WantItGone
02-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey faith :D ( waving)

cranbrycloud,

I took the medrol dose pack once and had awesome results. I had the depo medrol injection twice. The first time the depo medrol was amazing and the second time it didn't work quite as well, but it still worked. Then, my doctor prescribed me the medrol dose pack. Since Faith had already told me about it and told me about her positive experience, I eagerly took it. I have had no inflammation or aches since taking it. That was 6 weeks ago. I was also prescribed methotrexate 6 weeks ago. I've felt wonderful since that time. I didn't gain weight. I was 114 when I started and I'm 114 now. I was really worried about weight gain.

I was extremely energetic. But, I didn't mind that side affect. Hope you get some relief real soon.

Faith
02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey WantItGone :D (waving back)

I am so glad to hear you are feeling better!! I always share my experience hoping it will help someone else; though I was worried about you for a while.

How is the Methotrexate? I think I might be headed in that direction soon. Any side-effects? See, you can now share your experience with me. I really love this forum and I am glad to hear you are feeling better!! It's great to have a forum where we can share experiences and help each other out.

Glad you are feeling better!!!

Take care,

Faith :lol:

Suzique
02-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Faith,
I noticed that you haven't really gotten an answer to your question about the Methotrexate. I hope it is okay that I jump in here and offer my experience. I have been on it, along with prednisone, for 5 years straight. They have tried to wean me from the prednisone many times, but I go into a really bad flare every time I get to 10 mg or less per day.
Anyway, back to the Methotrexate. I had a little nausea at first when I began taking it, but not intolerable. Otherwise, I really don't find any symptoms that I can attribute to it. I suppose it depends on how much and how often. They played around with my doses, because they were worried, at first, that the sores in my mouth were from the drug (mouth sores is listed as a potential side effect). However, they sometimes got worse with decreased doses and less with increased doses, so they finally concluded that it was regular Lupus mouth sores, unrelated to the Methotrexate. Otherwise, I have to say that the years of taking it have not revealed any other concerns in my experience. I really think each person's body has its own way of dealing with new medications, so it is a crap shoot for people trying it for the first time. I do think it has done a great deal to control the joint pain, and it has kept me from needing even higher doses of prednisone.
I have read many times your comments on the injections for joint pain. I am going to ask about that at my next appointment. I know they are having a hard time reducing my prednisone for other reasons, but I am hoping that the Plaquenil (started in Jan) will make that easier.
I, too, am glad for this forum to ask, seek, and share. My physician had somehow assumed I had been tried on Plaquenil and didn't do well, so he never put me on it. I kept reading about it here, so I asked about it in Jan., and I got this incredulous look, "You mean you have never tried Plaquenil?" "No," I said. Well, he started scribbling a prescription right then. He probably should have questioned me more regarding it long before then, but I came to him from another rheumy, and I suppose he thought that would have been one of the first drugs given to me. Oh, well. Anyway, I am very excited about the Plaquenil, and looking forward to writing that it is helping within the next couple of months.
Let us know when and if you do go on Methotrexate and how it affects you. Okay?

Susan

Saysusie
02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Suzique;
Thanks for responding to Faith's question. I try to respond to everyone, but sometimes I miss a question. I am grateful for other members here, like you, who can provide needed answers.

Thanks Again :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Faith
03-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi Susan,

Thank you for the info on the methotrexate. Do you take it in pill form or shot? Just curious. I am glad they are putting you on Plaquenil; I assummed you had tried it. Give it about 3-4 months and stay covered up since it takes time to build it up in your system. Have you seen an optometrist for a Plaquenil baseline? You should have a baseline prior to starting Plaquenil and then have your eyes checked every 6 months. Your insurance should pick up the dr visit due to it being related to Lupus. I would check with yopur insurance.

Kenalog shots are great for joint pain and really do help. I think you should definately ask about it at your next appointment. Let me know what the rhuemy says.

Take care,

Faith

papillon
03-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Hey cranbryclud,

I was just wondering how you were doing.

WantItGone
03-06-2008, 04:08 PM
HI all,
Well I posted about a week ago about my new symptoms and low and behold I was in ER last night. I had severe body pain, joints, especially each part of my spine, headache, sensitive skin (i was crying if my boyfriend touched my arm softly and my loose pants rubbing killed me), fever, diarrhea, and i couldn't stand due to muscle weakness for more than 5 minutes, etc... I tried to hold out and take aleve and just bear it but it got worse and worse until i thought i was gonna go crazy, I couldn't even concentrate enough to speak a clear sentence. So, I went in and they gave me an IV, 125mg steroids, pain injections and anti-nasea medication. The did all the labs and my inflamation was in the highest risk category, white blood cells were hightened, everything looking like a new flare etc... So, they sent me home with some perscriptions and told me to consult my rheumy before taking them but i am not sure i can wait until tuesday, long weekend and all. I was given: medrol pack, naproxen, and darvocet. i know not to take the naproxen cause of the liver and kidney risk. and i was told the darvocet was probably ok with food. but for the medrol i am freaked out about it. is it necessary? i have already gained 25 lbs+ from my regular steroid dose and i have been on them a long time, almost 8 months now. they make me so hungry and seriously moody (actually, seriously *Biznich* and impatient). :(

so, can anyone tell me what it is like to take the medrol? will it make these side effects i have from prednisone worse? anyone have experience with this? additionally, i am taking methotrexate, plaquenil, prednisone, luecovorian, and various vitamins and supplements. i am also taking the darvocet right now for the pain management cause aleve wasn't cutting it. this darvocet is making me feel half drunk and tired all the time so there is no driving to work if i am taking this stuff i guess (I commute and hour each way).
as always, i appreciate all your advice and past experience. thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Hopefully you're feeling much better!

Hiya Faith! :D Hope all is well!!

WantItGone
03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey WantItGone :D (waving back)

I am so glad to hear you are feeling better!! I always share my experience hoping it will help someone else; though I was worried about you for a while.

How is the Methotrexate? I think I might be headed in that direction soon. Any side-effects? See, you can now share your experience with me. I really love this forum and I am glad to hear you are feeling better!! It's great to have a forum where we can share experiences and help each other out.

Glad you are feeling better!!!

Take care,

Faith,

I take methotrexate as well. I got my last injection over 6 weeks ago. It may be even longer than that. I haven't had any significant aches since the last injection and I'm quite sure it's due to the Methotrexate. I got the flexerill like you suggested (he also gave me darvocet) and the pain I had in my upper back pretty much is never there. What a blessing. Thank GOD for medicine!!

Faith
03-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey WantItGone (waving) :)

I take it the Methotrexate is helping with the joint pain? I am glad to hear that; that's awesome!!! Do you find the Flexerill helps?

I have been lately fighting lupus rashes, rashes on my chest (non-lupus), mouth sores, psorasis, Fibromyalgia and joint pain. Leg pain last night all night. :oops:

The Fibro is just kicking my butt!! I couldn't stand to "stand" anymore this afternoon and I wasn't standing that long!! I really hate it when I feel like an 80 year old women and look like one when shuffeling stooped over. My hubby said "take a Vicodin" and that's when I know I am shuffeling. lol.

Anyway, going to talk to the rhuemy in 2 weeks and see what he suggests. Probably same oh same oh, take Vicodin. I am thinking of Methotrexate or Humira? Although, I don't think either will help with the Fibro. I am frustrated; and I really didn't mean to sound like a whiner!! Ugh, Eeeck!!

Well, thank you for the ear; hey, we reversed this time. lol. I am glad everything seems to be working out. What's the weather like there?

Take care,

Faith 8)

WantItGone
03-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey WantItGone (waving) :)

I take it the Methotrexate is helping with the joint pain? I am glad to hear that; that's awesome!!! Do you find the Flexerill helps?

I have been lately fighting lupus rashes, rashes on my chest (non-lupus), mouth sores, psorasis, Fibromyalgia and joint pain. Leg pain last night all night. :oops:

The Fibro is just kicking my butt!! I couldn't stand to "stand" anymore this afternoon and I wasn't standing that long!! I really hate it when I feel like an 80 year old women and look like one when shuffeling stooped over. My hubby said "take a Vicodin" and that's when I know I am shuffeling. lol.

Anyway, going to talk to the rhuemy in 2 weeks and see what he suggests. Probably same oh same oh, take Vicodin. I am thinking of Methotrexate or Humira? Although, I don't think either will help with the Fibro. I am frustrated; and I really didn't mean to sound like a whiner!! Ugh, Eeeck!!

Well, thank you for the ear; hey, we reversed this time. lol. I am glad everything seems to be working out. What's the weather like there?

Take care,

Faith 8)

Awww! I'm sorry sweetie. I feel so bad when I feel so good. Lol. :) I truly think the Methotrexate is working wonders for me. It started w/the steroids but once they wore off, the Methotrexate started kickin Lupus's butt. I'm feeling really good right now. Physically that is. I have tons of stress in my life. Won't go into it here, maybe in an email. :) Don't want every one to slump into a major depression over my issues. Kinda jokin, kinda serious. Anyway, I think my stress seriously contributes to the high bp. But, what can I do about that?! I'm trying to de-stress but, it's hard. I think I'm going to start having weekly massages, start pilates, and yoga. And, I just need to read my bible a lot more and simply trust in God. I'm ecstatic that I'm feeling awesome physically. I truly thank God for this site. It's a God send. If I hadn't come here, I wouldn't have ever found out about Flexerill, Depo Medrol, Medrol Dose Pack, and Methotrexate. God, it sounds like I've been to a drug house. Lmao! But seriously, I'm thankful that I'm able to get up and get going with an extremely minimal amount of PHYSICAL pain.

You are going through soooo much girl! I hope and pray that everything improves with you. Don't feel bad when I say this, but when i read all that you are going through and others, I tend to complain less. That doesn't mean I can't complain when I do ache, but right now I don't so I really focus on seeing the glass half full as opposed to half empty.

Please don't feel like a whiner either. You (and many others) have been such a help for people like me. Please feel free to PM me girl if you ever want to talk. I'm here for you, Lord knows you (and many others, again) have truly been here for me! Hope u feel tons better soon!

Faith
03-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi cranbrycloud,

How are you feeling? Any better? Did you take the Medrol?

Haven't seen any new posts. I hope you are feeling better.

Take care,

Faith
03-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi Want It Gone,

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I am happy you are feeling better. It really does help to share what experiences we have had; and that goes for both sides.

I am guilty too, I need to read my Bible more too. I have heard that exercise in warm water is really good on joints, etc. Mmm, something to think about.

Thank you for the ear. I PM'd you.

Take care,

Faith

WantItGone
03-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi Want It Gone,

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I am happy you are feeling better. It really does help to share what experiences we have had; and that goes for both sides.

I am guilty too, I need to read my Bible more too. I have heard that exercise in warm water is really good on joints, etc. Mmm, something to think about.

Thank you for the ear. I PM'd you.

Take care,

Faith

Hey faith!

I'm definitely gonna try that warm water thingee. Sounds nice just thinking about it. :0

Faith
03-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Hey Want It Gone,

Check out the local Arthritis Assocation as they have a heated indoor pool (about 90 degrees) and have water classes for those with RA illnesses which Lupus would fall under.

Let me know.

Take care,

Faith 8)