PDA

View Full Version : Citrus fruit

sits_inthe_corner
02-17-2008, 10:06 AM
As long as I can remember I'ld break out in a horrible itchy water blistery rash all over my hands when I came in contact with or ingested citrus fruit in any shape or form.

I was always told that it was an allergy. Several years ago I needed to be tested for an allergy for something else. They wanted a control spot to compair against and asked me if I knew for sure of any other allergies and I said yes...citrus fruit.

Guess what.....nope...no reaction at all. non notta zip. So I said woohoo I'm going home and eating an orange cause I've always loved them sooo much. And I did...and guess what.....I broke out like mad. I was a mess. I called the clinic the next day and spoke to the lab tech who did my test. He asked me to come in and show him. I did...he was horrified by my hands. He ran the test again with a fresh testing kit, and nope notta.

Could citrus fruit be a lupus trigger for me?

Plus...I was in Spain last year...which I highly recommend...LOVED it..the food the wine the people...sigh. Anyway....they had lemon trees all over the place. Everything I ate had fresh lemon in it...right off the tree. I thought omg I am gonna pay for this...nope..notta zip. And I thought woohoo I grew outa this reaction.

A few weeks after I got home I bought a lemon and cooked up some fish and POOF went my hands. I was a mess. :roll: Nuff to drive me bonkers.

jesseyleigh
02-17-2008, 11:29 AM
My grandma (a fellow lupie) has the exact same problem, not as bad but if she comes in contact with very much citrus she breaks out in hives too...

Missy
02-17-2008, 05:50 PM
I've never had this problem, but I have to agree about Spain! I went 1 1/2 years ago, and it was great!

Good luck with your citrus problem!

sits_inthe_corner
02-17-2008, 06:11 PM
and stay for months and months lol...it was soooooo relaxing. I loved it. Best I've felt in a long time.