PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Transplant

HerAngel
02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Any living donors on the board?

Any insights into living kidney donation?

I have a feeling that in the future, my fiancee will be facing this situation and I believe that I am a match for her.

Yes I realize it's more than just the blood tests. The look at tissue matching and a myriad of other things...

I have been on the living donor boards, reading as much as possible. I've watched the University of Maryland kidney transplant video.

I've tried to do as much research as possible but wanted to talk to people about it directly.

I know with Lupus, the anti-rejection drug Cellcept, is actually very good for Lupus too.

I don't know. I'm petrified about the concept of surgery. I've never had major surgery done ever. It's a bit intimidating but... I would do anything in this world if it meant my fiancee would not have to go through dialysis anymore or eat the blandest diet forever or get another catheter...

If one of my healthy kidneys can prevent those things (even if it's only "X" number of years) then I will do it.

Thank you everyone.

mnjodette
02-13-2008, 07:58 PM
It's very special that you're willing to donate a kidney to your fiance, HerAngel. My sister's son-in-law recently donated a kidney to one of their family friends. He recovered very quickly, and has had no ill effects. The recipient of his kidney is doing well, too.

I'm on Cellcept for my SLE, althought I don't have lupus nephritis. I've had absolutely no side effects from Cellcept, fortunately.

I hope your fiance' does well. I'm sure others who have more experience with lupus and kidney disease will chime in with more info for you.

Jody

Pretti in Pink
02-14-2008, 06:48 AM
I have a friend that was on dialysis and had a kidney transplant and he is doing great. He takes Cellcept as well and has not had any problems.