PDA

View Full Version : the itchy scratchies

mackie
02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone,

For the past month or so I've had this nasty burning creepy crawly itch that wakes me up at night and keeps me from being able to fall back asleep again. It's mostly on my chest, arms, and the tops of my thighs. When it's happening my skin (which is very fair) has this red mottled look with small raised rash. By the morning it's gone...it's like a curse to keep me from sleeping.

Somewhere I read that methotrexate can cause itching; maybe that's where it's coming from?

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? I use Lubridern Sensitive Skin lotion (lanolin free, dye free, fragrance free) every day so I don't think it's from dry skin.

Help!

Mari Anna

Numpty
02-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Hi there Mari Anna,
I don't have any advice or answers sorry :( , but wanted to leave you a hug and let you know that I hope it gets better soon. Being tired all the time (which I am) is bad but not being able to sleep on top of that is a million times worse! ~hugs~

mackie
02-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Good morning Numpty,

Thank you so much for your kind words. The itchies struck again last night. It's so weird. I'm visiting my doctor this morning so I will ask her. I'm wondering if it's a drug side effect.

I saw that you are in Edinburgh....I studied at the University of Aberdeen during my junior year of college. I miss Scotland constantly!!!

Wishing you a good day,
Mari Anna

hatlady
02-07-2008, 11:24 AM
The rash and itch are only at night?

Have you changed linens on your bed - a new blend of fibers that may be irritating? Or pajamas? Or possibly detergent? I'm definitely not a doctor, but it sounds like contact dermatitis - something you're coming in contact wiht is irritating you at that time.

cheryl_v
02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
It could be meds, had that reaction to a different med. Took it every day at same time (can't remember morning or night), then switched it. I think I was taking it at night, then switched it to mornings and started getting the reaction during the day. Although not as bad because no pj's and covers causing skin to be warm and make it worse. Doc had me stop for a week, it stopped so he had me flush them. Maybe this will help, altough hatlady has a point, it happened to my son once too. Turned out to be the detergent I used, changed and rewashed bedding and clothes and it never happened again. Good luck, may you get sleep soon and a solution :D .

mackie
02-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I thought about the allergy issue because I have always had sensitive skin and have to be careful about what I put on it. But the thing is, I haven't changed any detergents and I use the same products for the clothing that I wear during the day....so I couldn't come up with any ideas there.

I'm stumped unless it's a medication, and I'm on about a dozen of them so I don't know how we'd figure out which one it is?

Mari Anna

luvwine2007
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Try Aveeno. When I had my rash issues they kept me up at night. I think we are just more aware at night....at least that is my theory. :lol: We have other things bothering us during the day!

Anyhow, Aveeno has been the best lotion for my skin, and hydrocortisone cream is on my nightstand!

mackie
02-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Thank you luvwine, I will try that! I think you're probably right about us being more aware of it during the night. :)