PDA

View Full Version : Low body temperature

Oluwa
02-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Is anyone's body in sub freezing temps...low body temperature?

I sweat, heat waves..like going from a house comforted with A/C then out the door into a humid, sticky climate of 100 degrees in the shade. Yet my temperature is low when hot or cold. I get the chills, hands, feet and nose cold.

Trying to gather personal experience from everyone. Not much luck on the Internet except with Hypothyroidism...but when my PCP tested TSH they seemed little concerned since it came back in the normal range. I know others tests can be conducted. I had scheduled and canceled since I am having draws for others tests after Valentine's Day. Gut crud. Two for one.

Do you have low temperatures from...
Thyroid?
Menopause?
Drugs?
Lupus?

Do tell..

Me, 46...female, no eggs, Lupus, lost weight, gained weight involuntarily...THS 3.134 normal range and I enjoy the beach and my favorite food is sliced tomatoes with fresh basil.

Not feeling too swell lately,
Oluwa

mackie
02-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi Oluwa,

I thought it was just me. My normal body temp is about 97 degrees. So when I have a fever of 99.5, I am 2.5 degrees above normal for me. Added on top of all the other symptoms, a lupus fever can make me feel pretty crummy.

Mari Anna

Faith
02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi Oluwa,

I thought it was just me too. My normal resting temp is 94-96. Whenever I am above it, I am burning up. Lately though I seem to be cold more in the Winter than ever before.

I like Subway, peanut butter sandwiches, and Red Lobster. I know, whew, what a combination.

Tata,

Faith

Oluwa
02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Mari Anna,

That 2.5 would be like 101.1 of somewho had a normal temp, or should I say average of 98.6.

Thank you for your reply....

And how has Lupus been to you today? Fairing alright, considering what Lupus is.

Be well,
Oluwa

Oluwa
02-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Hello Faith,

My norm used to be 99 for years. I don't know when it changed. When were doing INVITRO, I took my temperature daily to see if I was about to lay an egg. And it wasn't low then.

But as of late...When I heat up like a light bulb there is no rise in temperature...crazy. It gets old waking up with wet wrinkled PJ's. I look worn, used and stringy hair.

I don't think it is my norm..I think I have something wrong with me...and I just dread going to the doctors. Not only because of explaining my woes, but the wait..then leaving with another yucka added to the list.

Red Lobster....Ship Wreck Bloody Marys. Tried them? If not, do...

Current temp inside me...96.3. Current temp outside 72. Current house temp 73, heats on and I am freezing.

Burrrr...r.r.r.r
Oluwa

mackie
02-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Oluwa,

Sounds like you are being whacked about by the big L today. It's probably time to go pay your doc a visit.

Me, I'm trying to stay calm, stay calm. I had a brain MRI yesterday and have an upcoming neuropsych test. My internist suspects CNS vasculitis. My head feels like it will split in two...I'm trying to choose to enjoy life anyway but it does take some determination.

I hope you get some rest and relief!

Peace out,
Mari Anna

Oluwa
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi Mari Anna,

Yep, for a spell now...in and out. Up down...backwards forward. Yet I land in the same place. Icky.

I don't know if this will alleviate your type of headache, tie a scarf that has been folded into a 2 inch band and tie it around your forehead. May help to distribute the blood from pooling and dilating in one place.

A Finnish remedy my Mum and Grandmum taught me...

Please let us know about the MRI and other tests, the outcome.

Thank you for the well wishes...I for you too.

Over n Out,
Oluwa

Pearl
02-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Hello Oluwa -

I writing from my own private icehouse....and I thought I was the only one who experiences this ridiculously subfreezing climate when everyone else around me is putting on tanning lotion....

I don't know if this low body temperature has to do with the Lupus or not. I, like you, also have normal thyroid tests. I'm just going to blame it on the big "L." It's easier that way.

Sorry to hear you have been a little under the weather. Also sorry for all of the weather puns. They were totally unintended.

Wishing you well,

Jana :lol:

mnjodette
02-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes, yes, yes! I also have low body temperature. "Normal" seems to be about 97F - I don't know WHEN that started. I've mentioned it to my rheumatologist and she didn't seem to think that was unusual - apparently, lots of people have low (or high) normal temps. But, I do alternate between absolutely freezing (I'm wrapped in a down blanket right now - and it's 73 in my house) to feeling like I'm trapped in a tropical rain forest - and looking like a wet dog. My temperature doesn't change when I'm hot either - it's still low. So, this is odd...what could that mean do you suppose?

I should say that I do get "lupus fevers" sometimes, but it's been a while. The plaquenil seemed to have kicked that symptom pretty well.

Jody

Oluwa
02-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Jody,

Heat Wave, wasn't that a song? It should be playing now.

Night sweats aka nocturnal hyperhydrosis...

I suspect it is hypothyroidism. I did a bit or research was it last week and this is what I read. Not verbatim...TSH can be normal despite having hypothyroidism. Others test should include T3, T4 and Thyroxine to rule it out...and I am growing again. 127lbs. About 14lbs in 2 months..but then I was up to 135 last fall, before I dropped to 113lb.

Low basal temperature is an indicator of a slow metabolic rate or an efficient one if you do lots of calorie burning exercise. Can explain the cold, chills too.

Menopause? Perimenopause? Last monthly event was in July 07, and the one before that was July 06..humm. The declining level of estrogen hormones during menopause is responsible for the malfunction of the hypothalamus (heat regulatory area), which detects an increased body temperature and releases chemicals that cause the skin blood vessels to dilate so the heat can be released, thus triggering the night sweats. This process may also be accompanied by cold shivering. Can explain the dewy nights...

Steroids, supress fevers? Hiding possible infection?

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/h/hyperhidrosis/diagnosis.htm

And despite all that info I will go to bed tonight and wake up about four times to wringing wet sheets and PJs that they look like they were wrung out by hand...

Sweat Dreams, I mean Sweet Dreams,
Oluwa

joakris
02-06-2008, 09:35 AM
I too usually have a low temp, and lately it has been in the 99's which for me is a fever! everyone i am so depressed and frustrated...
I am still sick and i went into the hemotologist and oncologist on thursday last week and my wbc is up to 25,000! i feel like every day i just keep getting worse and worse, my back is in soooo much pain and i can barly get up... all i want to do is sleeeep sleeep sleeeep ! they now think that i have cancer somewhere in my body? i mean really how much more of this guesssing game can one take? I had a pelvic ultrasound done yesturday to see if possibly polycystic ovarian cancer? Im 24!
my rash has gone almost completley away, but my skin still has weird spots, i cant eat any dairy no cheese milk eggs, nothing, i cant drink any alcohol! i instantly get a rash, this is soooooo frustrating, i am so sick of being sick!! i just want my normal life back!

sorry for ranting

luvwine2007
02-06-2008, 11:01 AM
I am part of the Cold Club too. My normal body temp is usually 97.5, so 99 is a bit of a fever.

I also have a very hard time warming up. The house is 72, and I am completely bundled up trying to stay warm. I just can't seem to warm up this winter.

Joakris....hope you feel better soon and get good news from your drs!

Missy
02-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Count me in, too. When I'm warm, people are stifling hot and opening windows. I'm not good at taking my temp regularly, but when I"m feeling ill or colld all the time, then hot, and I think I could have a fever, it is always in the 97s.

It can't be menopause, I'm 30 and use a progesterone releasing IUD for cirth control, I've had my Thyroid tested more times than I can count and I monitor my blood pressure because of Lupus Nephritis.

Who knows.....it happens in the summer, too. I'm always the one with the most clothes on. All I know, is that my quilts my mother-in-law made us that hang over my couches are my best friends in the world, as well as my feather bed and down comforter.

jesseyleigh
02-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Im also normally very low in temperature 94-95 my family if they dont know what to buy me something for christmas/birthday its some kind of heating something my personal fav is my heating throw best gift i ever got.

cheryl_v
02-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Me too lately. My body temp for years was 97-98, fevers at 101. The last few months its been 94-95, can't tell when I have a fever. I actually threw away my old thermometer after 14 yrs, thought it was to old to test acuately. New one had the same readings, needless to say I got the old one out of my bedroom trash can (good thing only tissues in there,lol). Tested again using both, and both the same results. Like today I'm 95, yesterday 94. Doc didn't think anything of it either, but if I actually get a fever how will they know if they base it on 101 or above? How ill will I be with that temp? Took my yearly blood work and everything (wbc,rbc, T3,T4, thy, etc.....) came back normal. I feel cold, then sauna heat back and forth. Skin be pink and flushed and it'll be 96-97, I don't understand either. I thought, once again, it was just me. :D

I'm 34, love tomato sadwhiches with mayo and chinese food, don't like tv but love music and reading books and going for walks when I'm capable. Absolutely love coffee (reg.,decaf, inst., don't matter) :morning:

sits_inthe_corner
02-10-2008, 05:06 PM
From my ankles down to my toes are freezing numb cold. When I go to bed my hands, nose, butt, and feet are so cold they hurt.

I recently purchased a memory foam mattress and polar fleece fitted sheets. While I'm still cold going to bed, by morning I'm toasty warm. Which makes if very hard to crawl out of bed to start my day. I love a hot bath, but it's frustrating because the water will feel burning hot to my feet hands and bottom, but the rest of me will feel the water temp as being cool, which is NOT nice. I hope you all can make your way through my terrible spelling and typos.

alanah_hope
02-10-2008, 11:52 PM
i've been getting night sweats pretty much every night for the past two weeks, i wasnt sure if it was just like.. a phase, or something. it crossed my mind that it could be associated with sle, but i wasnt sure... me being 17 i'm seriously doubting the menopause = P but it isnt too troublesome i guess, just uncomfortable waking up all sweaty.. and i've gotten very much used to mild discomforts lately...

Oluwa
02-11-2008, 08:21 AM
I feel all greasy when I rise. Greasy with a cold nose and toes...hummm.

Maybe if we were all in one room, it would be a self generated sauna...

Being half Finnish, I know how hot they can really get. The one we grew up with was the authentic bathing house at my MooMoo's (Grandma's). Washed from head to toes ever weekend. A family affair.

Running well water, a firewood stove to heat the rocks. Benches, light by lanterns, cedar branches..and lots of steam.

The sauna is still used today...when I go up north for a holiday we say fire up the sauna and invite everyone. No silly, men with men, women with women...young old...bathe together.

I gave my Mum her last sauna bath...I miss her so much. I love you Mum.

Love,
Oluwa

the_librarian
02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I too have a low temp. 96.8 (instead of 98.6) always have. I have always been the coldest one in any house until the last six months. My poor husband has been freezing while I've been stripping down to my underwear and keeping the thermostat on 64. That is until last week...Now I'm freezing again. It has been really lovely outside (70's) and I've been wearing thermal socks, sweaters with many layers underneath. I'm in the polar ice caps all the time. My internal temperature has not changed. NO CHANGE. I too wake up greasy though. I've always had normal-dry skin, but not first thing in the morning any more. Body fluctuations are driving me batty.

Suzique
02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Hello, Everyone,
I must weigh in on the "hot" side. I have tended to rock between 101 and 102 every afternoon for 7 to 8 years (even before my Lupus diagnosis). I do not generally get "chills" with this, just feel very tired and sleepy with hot cheeks every afternoon. I haven't a clue what is making you guys temp so low, but let me warn you, as a health care professional (RN), the medical people ARE NOT taking you serious when you tell them about your low temp. I have seen it blown off by other nurses and physicians (I have been an ER nurse for 20 years) for many, many years. Patients come in with a 99 or 100 temp, feeling like they are "burning up", and the nurses and doctors go, "blah, blah, blah" (behind their backs). This is a terrible thing to say about my collegues, but I wanted to tell you this, so that if you are to ever get answers, you may have to shake them and say, "Look, I am not crazy. I bought a new thermometer. I take my temperature regularly. I know this is accurate!" Sometimes we (as patients) have to really work to get their attention. This, I am afraid, is one of those issues that will require some work. Thought you should know.
I have an extremely low white count. My b-cell lymps are"5" and should be at least "80." I often ask them how they are going to tell when I am really sick, when my lymphocytes don't ever go up, it seems, and my temp is always up. Another little trick the big L has pulled.
I love shrimp, nearly all kinds of seafood, and fruit desserts.

Susan

jesseyleigh
02-11-2008, 07:23 PM
I was remembering a conversation i had with my primary doctor who had been my doctor since i was about 6 (amazing doctor if you live in the seattle area) and i had always had a low temperature he said it was a combination of poor circulation apparently common amongst people with inflamitory issues along with limbs that turn purple or extremly cold and frankly being a small person.

the_librarian
02-12-2008, 10:14 AM
This is so funny. I was talking to my mom last night and apparently low temps run in our family. Her gp told her that people with lower body temps as a rule live longer! There are actually a number of scientific studies that suggest that lower body temp does coincide with a longer lifespan. I was going to post a couple, but they are all subscription scientific journals... I did a google search (low body temperature lifespan), but again all the articles I found that were reputable were restricted access.

AB

cheryl_v
02-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Sorry Oluwa, not meaning to barge in on your post here. I needed to ask, should I call the doc if body temp is 93.8? Like I said, I used to have temps of 97-98. Now 94-95 (mainly steady at 95). I've been queezy, tired, foggy headed, joint and muscle pain, all around crappy. Just wondering because I've never had a temp this low before. Am I over reacting? :?

Oluwa
02-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi Cheryl,

How are you today besides being cold...and No, you're not barging in...It is all of ours...

I would see a doctor..that is definitely too low. How many times during the day have you temped? At least three Cheryl? AM, mid-day and PM.

Could be a myraid of things that could cause it...
Thyroid
Diabetes
Infection...

Just found this from the Mayo Clinic...

normal human body temperature is usually stated as 98.6 F (37 C) orally, it actually ranges from 97.5 to 98.8 F (36.4 to 37.1 C). Some people have temperatures in the 96 F range and feel fine. Your body temperature is not considered dangerously low until it is below 95 F (35 C).

Mild reductions in body temperature are often temporary and don't indicate a serious problem or condition. For example, your temperature normally is lower in the morning than in the evening. The most common cause of a lower-than-normal body temperature is exposure to cold. But occasionally, a low body temperature can indicate an underlying problem or condition, such as:

Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
Diabetes
Adrenal gland insufficiency (Addison's disease)
Hypothalamus dysfunction
Liver failure
Kidney failure
Widespread infection (sepsis)
Excessive use of alcohol or illicit drugs
A side effect of certain medications, such as phenothiazines, barbiturates, opiates, clonidine, lithium and benzodiazepines
If your low body temperature persists, consult your doctor.

Till then keep warm...layers to peel off, as the temp goes up...
Oluwa

cheryl_v
02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info, I've been tested again recently for all those. Everything keeps coming back normal. Temp in house is 71, outside 68. I test temp only when not feeling well, a couple times to be acurate. Randomly now and then just to see if there's any change when feeling well. Got temp up to 95.2 now, drinking some water to increase blood flow and a blanket. Hubby gripes when I call doc, says I'm acting like I want something to be wrong and becoming a hypocondriac (sp?). Yeah right, like that's the case. Thanks for such a quick response, I'll check temp in a little while again before calling doc though. I know I should now, just hearing hubby's gripping in my head :roll: .

By the way, has anyone heard from Saysusie. She OK? I haven't seen her up on the boards in a while (maybe I'm blind and just haven't noticed). Just checking, I don't mean to bother if it turns out I'm blind and can't even see her name. :oops:

cheryl_v
02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Ooops, silly me. I see her name now, I swear I didn't before :? . Sorry Saysusie, so used to seeing your name that I could have sworn I didn't see it. Totally :oops: , I feel foolish.

Oluwa
02-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Cheryl,

Let him gripe... :shock:

I don't understand why it bothers anyone if we were hypochondriacs or not. Unless it was affecting our mental well being and we were extreme about ah lets say a cut.

Avoiding care can be more hazardous to ones health then seeking it. And avoiding care because we are afraid someone may think we are hypochondriacs is just as hazardous. I think.

We have Lupus, a diagnose, and it comes with many symptoms, secondary diseases and illnesses. So, I don't understand why one would think it is all in our minds unless they know very little about the disease. And with that, I would follow up with, then they should learn. Until then I am going to the doctors...no permission required..

Keep warm till you see the doctor..
Oluwa

cheryl_v
02-16-2008, 08:12 AM
I know your right, I have no idea why it bothers me so. I have to see my mother-in-law today (yee-haw :roll: ), she's a nurse. I'll bite my tongue and ask her. Another thing that doesn't help with hubby's attitude is that I've 3 different dx, all tooken back. Only thing permenent he'll say is that it's deffinately a connective tissue disorder. With doc going back and forth, it doesn't help with getting hubby to understand. With the temp thing, he says it's probably hormonal and will balance out (his answer to everything :x ). Temp dropped to 93.4 last night, got it up to 95 again, so going to try to find answer today. I know this sounds like an excuse for hubby, but he is a good guy. Just won't admit when I'm sick, like I'm the one person who can't or something. Its the one problem we have in our marriage, his refusal to listen to me not feeling well and need to see a doc. I appriciate your advice on calling doc, thanks to you I put my foot down and told him regaurdless what his mom says today, I'm still going to call doc and ask his advice too Monday. Thanks for everything, I really do appreciate your incite :D .

Oluwa
02-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Cheryl,

I am sure he is a wonderful guy and I don't feel you are making excuses for him. We can complain about those who we love, I do...We do it out of frustration. We do it out of feeling misunderstood but not because of the lack of love we have for them.

When we don't have a broken arm or leg, or a band-aid wrapped around our head..looking like a mummy how could we be sick people would think. It would be like describing snow to someone who lives in the desert..a hard feat.

How I have handle that within myself is to understand and accept they don't get it no matter how many metaphors, visuals I use or try to relate it to experiences they may have had. In the end it is less stressful for me.

My one liner is. It is Lupus, not me that doesn't want to play. Today I want to be in the sand box..IT doesn't...Urg--gggg.

What did mum-in-law say...?

You're welcome Cheryl,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for understanding, he can be such a pain. Mum-in-law said she was unsure, normally body temps low due to low bp. My bp has been a liitle high lately, so the two together makes no since. Unfortunately she's like hubby and thinks there is nothing wrong with me either. Even over what doc said it was, she thinks he's just saying that to make me happy or something, aaahhhh :x . Oh well. I'll call doc tomorrow, forgot it was a holiday so he was closed. Thanks for asking, ta-ta. :)

cheryl_v
02-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Called doc, they said to check thermometer. I was reading 93.5 and daughter was reading 96.1 at the same time. Said could be the thermometer, but doc will probably have me come in and check himself. If low, then blood work. Waiting for his call now. Well I couldn't help myself and checked temp, its 96.3. Of course it goes up now, I'll look like a fool going in. I don't want to go now, I'm sure it'll be 97-98 or something by then. Not that I want it to be low, it's just no one's here when it reads low. Just gripeing, sorry. Seems like you all of a sudden well once you go to see doc, then they don't believe you. This is aggrivating and depressing. Tell you what doc says later. By the way, my feet are so cold even though temps going up, any ideas what that may mean? Just curious :? .

Oluwa
02-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Cheryl,

Cold feet, warm heart...

Is it a battery disc thermometer? Try the mercury filled one, if not using already.

My feet and hands are cold too. Raynauds? Mine feet get a blue tinge, but the doctor when I mentioned it, he seemed of no concern. He ask, blue? I said yes and nothing more was discussed at that encounter.

I know as we move about our temperature will go up from the morning to noon then it would start to lower as we settle in for the night. Hibernation? But to start of so low and rise to a low seems ..well not right.

I question why mine goes into the 96s. Monday I have an appointment with a women's care center. To evaluate my hormones, metabolism, thyroid. I'll let you know what I find out.

Worry not if others believe or do not. It is hard on our emotions not to feel validated, that we are disbelieved, but you know the truth....

Keep a log of you temps, you are no fool. It happens. Like I had this wheal on my neck by my earlobe. Huge, make an appointment, then it disappears. I took a picture the next time it appeared, and he said.. Humm don't know why I would get a hive there. No clue, except to look at the front and back of the picture like it was 3-D. It starts out pea size and then grows into the size of a nectarine pit...red, all around..like a hive.

I attribute it to IT....the gift that keep giving...

Keep bundled...I hope they can get to the bottom of this for you,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
02-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Hope your app goes well Monday, let us know. Strange for the bump to be there, any hive lookig bumps anywhere else? I get a lump there when sinus's are flaring up. Well doc called and wanted me to come in or make an app for soon. I said I'd call back, I don't drive so I have to check with my ride to see what days good. My feet are cold, but not my hands, so not sure whats up. Feet are stiff and painful being cold. This is a first, feet been cold before, but not this painfuly cold. Something else for the journal, yee-haw :lol: . Hope your feeling better today. Oh yeah, thermometer is a new CVS ear thermometer. I found one of those forhead ones, it read 96 now too. I found the old ear themometer, I think next time it reads that low that I'll check with all 3 to see if thats an accurate reading. May your day go well :D .

Oluwa
02-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Cheryl,

Nope just that one. One, oh Lonely oh hive.. When I do get a bout of hives, they are plate size, all over. This one seems to evolve out of stress.

Have you tried the mouth thermometer, mercury filled. Supposedly they are more accurate. I've never seen a forehead one..is it like a tape on? Head on, head off...?

Have you seen Dreamtime Foot Cozys? They are filled with beans and rice, lavendar and etc that you heat in the microwave. They are nice when I remember I have them. They are the kind you can pop into the freezer too.

Today is just a bland day. Quiet. Could you imagine if I didn't like my own company. I would be running from myself for days. My husband flew out Monday. I am content today, but many days I pace. Pace on foot and in my mind. And as I move my feet about, my animals, one dog and one cat shawdow my every step.

I am their world, I am their company as neither know one like themselves here. Like me, I know no other here in SC with IT. Nor does anyone here know I have IT.

As I pace about in my mind, no one shadows me except my past self...wanting to be once again. I tell her, myself this is me, you, I, Accpet. I go back pacing the room with my feet, with a dog and a cat trailing close behind. I loved them.

Keep warm,
Oluwa

Oluwa
02-19-2008, 04:33 PM
The total is, oh about a dozen low temperatures and a few hotties.

Are the cold ones getting warm and hotties getting cooler....

Suzique aka Susan, a hottie, getting cooler? Do you think it is because of Lupus inflammation raging inside?

Have you been down to the Pike Place Market for fresh seafood yet. For a quick fried fish and chips to die for have you tried Spuds on Alki or at Green Lake. Or Ivars downtown...

Today I miss Seattle even more...

Me, I am still tepid...maybe it is my norm. I'll find out next week...
Hugs,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
02-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Hello, even though I have all these pets and people, I too am alone. Everyone just does there own thing, left with no one to talk too. No one around me has any problems like me and only a few know of the connective tissue thing. They don't understand anyways, so not like that would help there. I too pace, a lot. The forehead thermometer is from mum-in-law (the nurse). Its what they use for the elderly patients when they're sleeping she said. Also good for infants, so not to wake them. A gift when my daughter was born. Took a hot bath, feeling warmer. How are the rest of you doing? Keeping my fingers crossed that all are better. :angel:

Oluwa
02-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Cheryl,

Have you paced a ditch in carpeting?

Head Hug,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Not yet, but hubby gripes because he can see the trail of matted carpet. Said I should find a new spot, let the old one have a break and chance to refluff :lol: . My home's 76' long, so I have plenty room to pace. Funny as it sounds, I find it very soothing. I know I must be a nut case now :) . Considering asking doc if he will put me on Welbutrim, been high strung and stressed lately. Might be why so tired, queezy tummy, and hard to explain but just don't feel right. Does that make since? Funny though, temp staying steady at 96. I'm still going any way, even if temps back to a close normal. Maybe it's all from stress, use to have lots of patience but none anymore. Enough about me, has your day gone good? That washing machine of yours still giving you pretzels for clothes? Or is it twistler sticks today? :)

STaylor
02-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I have a low body temperature too! Hovers around 97. I have very slight hypothyroidism but had been on thyroid meds for a couple years and it never helped me feel any warmer. If anything I have felt a lot colder this winter than usual. My house temp is usually at 72 and I still walk around in a long sleeve shirt, sweater, sweats, wool socks and a fleece blanket! My husband is usually wearing shorts and a t-shirt!

Cheryl_V - I know what you mean about not feeling right. I've had a lot of health issues pop up lately that have been upsetting. One of them wasn't even related to Lupus. Was on vacation and my heart started racing. Turns out I now have sinus tachycardia - my heart is always beating around 100bpm - that on top of the lupus makes me REALLY tired. Anyway the point is I started getting pretty anxious about what might happen next. Every pain was a potential new health threat. It got worse and worse until one day finally went to a psychiatrist and he put me on some medication.

I'm feeling better now and am able to deal with health issues without stressing over them. Just thought I would share in case you were thinking about anti-depressants. I wouldn't try Wellbutrin though...gave me a seizure! Don't want to scare you, sorry!

Suzique
02-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Oluwa,
Hottie, huh? Well, I'll enjoy that, even in that connotation! Sorry to reply two days later. Spent yesterday in the ER. Actually, a little warm while there - others were shivering in blankets, while I had none and had sweat soaking the entire back side of my head (my hair in drippy little ringlets, ugh!).
I have some of those cozy socks. My sister got them at Bath and Bodyworks for me one Christmas. They are lovely and smell great.
But you don't have to go out and buy something like that to get that pleasure.
For those of you who can sew even a little: You can make little "pillows", any size, fill them with raw rice and any kind of herbs. These can be placed in the microwave (play around to see what is the best time for your taste) 'till comfortably warm. They smell wonderful, are very flexible (for molding around feet, hands, necks, shoulders - you get the idea). When I cannot get my feet warm (yes, even "hotties" have that problem), mine is a life saver. You could put it in your bed to warm your feet, mold it across painful knees while reclined - gosh, I use mine for all sorts of arthritic and cold aches. The scent you give yours will affect you, too, like an olofactory elixer.
Hope this helps with those cold, achy tootsies!

Susan

Saysusie
02-22-2008, 12:19 PM
My sister-in-law made me several of those sock/rice wamers. She made them in different sizes so that I can put them in several places at one time. You are right, they are great and feel sooooo soothing.

I am an enigma to my husband; I will have the sock warmers on my neck and shoulders (painful inflammation), but I will have ice packs on my arms and thighs (burning muscles due to Fibro). It always makes him laugh to see me like that. But, here is what I've discovered....having the hot and the cold on my body at the same time knocks me out....I mean it puts me to sleep in a matter of minutes. When I awake, he has removed all of my paraphernalia and put a blanket over me (Yes, he is a sweetie) and tells me how loudly I was snoring :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Oluwa
02-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Hottie Suzique,

ER, replied in a PM.

No apology needed...IT makes our days so unpredictable, and times we read, no energy to type and times we type alot . I am not a quick turn-a-replier...sometimes I can be.

CheryL V...

I know the don't know how to explain feeling and it makes sense to me.

I did have a manged mess yesterday. Our loose fitting jeans were wound so tight they looked like Skinny Jeans. Had to take breaks inbetween to rest my wary arms.

Maybe for the high strung, tired ans stress..had you tried yoga, pilates...a it of stretching each morning and before going to be. When I do a cat stretch and a baby curl...I fee pretty good. Then a long, long stretch in bed, morning and night...

Me..amazingly..I feel wonderful. Bake many patches of cookies today. Munching as they are cooling. I avoid sugar, but these...oh yummy. I better stop before I only have a half dozen to send...

Saysusie...

I may just have to try that...as of late I struggle to fall asleep. Your husband is a wonderful guy and is lucky, fortunate, blessed to have you, and to have each other...Z-z-z-z-z-z-----------z-z--z-z-z. Gopher or buzz saw snore?

Keep well.
Headhugs all around.
Oluwa

cheryl_v
02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks STaylor for your input. Nice to know that someone understood what I ment even if I didn't have the words for it. I took Welbutrim for a little while before to help quit smoking a couple years ago. It was a low dose, no side-effects. I don't like to take meds everyday, hard to remember. Plus just don't like taking meds in the first place. Hope today's going good for all, chow :) .

cheryl_v
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks Oluwa for your understanding too. You must have post at the same time as me. I'll send a mental gripe to your washer and tell it to behave for you. I do stretch in the morning, never crossed my mind to do it at night. I'll have to start. Not much makes it into my mind these days, much less across :lol: . Ta-ta to you :D .

papillon
02-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm a low temp girl too but it's only recent. when i was a kid i always ran high (usually 99.5) now I'm a 97.1 usually. It's crazy that my old norm is now a fever.
i hope everyone is warming up okay. on the east coast i'd say it's miserable but it gives me an excuse to not go outside. teehee.

stay warm folks.

onpointe
02-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi All,

Wow, I thought I was the only one with a low body temp!!! Mine is 97.1, always has been, always. I had a hystorectomy last year and was having hot flashes w/no change in body temp. They have me on bio-identical hormones and my hormones are now in the normal range but I still have hot flashes, no one can figure it out??? I've also had my thyroid tested and it's in the normal range as well. I also go from freezing to feeling like there are hot coals under my skin! My poor hubbie has to put up with my constant wrestling with the thermostat, opening and closing windows and turning the ceiling fan on and off (thank goodness the thing has a remote!)

I get fevers of 99+ and everyone acts like I'm being a big baby but if they did the math they might understand that that's like 100.6+ for them. Sorry to hear we are all dealing with this but glad that I'm not alone, or crazy, ok, I'm at least not alone. ;)

onpointe

sick n tired
02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
I agree enpointe, It is great when you finally realize that it is not all in your head. I have had the 96 and 97 temps. There is not one dr or nurse who has heard me say that who seemed to believe it. I also thought it was all me. :lol:

Have a great day,

Karen

Oluwa
02-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi Onpointe...

My husband and I do the same when he is home. Wondering when we will we have to replace the thermostat for the central air and heat. Up, down..auto, fan, on , off...the buttons get used...

My animals try to adjust to my body temperature, A/C ..curled up in a tight ball with a binkie on top...heat on.. sprawled about on the hardwood floors..

Chilled to the bones while sweating like a jogger..not crazy.

Hugs,
Oluwa

Saysusie
02-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Oluwa;
You paint the most descriptive pictures!! That was quite hilarious :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Oluwa
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Saysusie,

It makes me smile knowing I make you and others laugh...

I just know your singing make everyone feel... feel all the emotions with each tune, each note...carries. I can imagine how you fill everyone up with joy, on a Sunday morning, in church....

Love,
Oluwa

Oluwa
02-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Cheryl,

I was thinking of you....and had to track you down.

Started to stretch in the evenings...

I gave up on laundry for a week...my arms pits hurt, still after almost a week from digging in the dirt...

Enjoy Friday,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
02-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Thank you, your sweet. I started stretching in the evenings too. I must admit I'm sleeping a bit better. Went to docs and got new meds and diet change. Waiting for lab results now, even though it'll be normal. Never hurts to keep check :) . Wish I could give my washing a break, not with all these little critters :smilecolros: running around. Oh well, a girl can dream though :D . Your concern warms my heart, thank you. I do hope your app went well, let me know.

IloveHistory
03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi Everyone!

I have always had a terribly low body temperature and mine is caused by the fact that I have Dysautonomia (dysfunction of the Autonomic Nervous System). All of my thyroid tests are in the normal range too, but there is a LOT of thyroid disease in my family. Low body temperature can also be caused by dysfunction of the Hypothalamus, although this is pretty rare...

Keep well! :)

Saysusie
03-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Oluwa..

U R Sweet :lol:

Saysusie

Oluwa
03-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I was just thinking, when I was trying to conceive and through our failed attempt at INVITRO, I use to temp daily, same time each morning. Always when menstruating up until I ovulated my temperature would be low at rising, about 97.0 then it would rise to normal or high normal 98.6 when the egg was released, 14 days later..

Maybe try that for a cycle and see if this maybe the reason for some of your low temps.

Are your temps low for about 10 - 14 days after the first day of your cycle...check it out..

Saysusie, not as sweet as you...well unless I just ate a Hersheys Plain.

Love
Oluwa

cheryl_v
03-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Are you kidding? You dear Oluwa and Saysusie are as sweet as a Dove milk chocolte bar :angel: , so many others here are sweet as well :D .

mnjodette
03-05-2008, 08:21 AM
I was at my rheumatologist's office yesterday and when her nurse took my temp (97.3) I told her that my temp is always low - sometimes lower than 97. The nurse said, "Well, then when your temp is 98, then you've got a fever!" I thought, "well, duh...." but was glad she finally got it! :roll:

There's enough sweetness in this group to fill an entire Easter basket. :D

Oluwa
03-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Has anyone been told why, if... the low temperatures are a norm for us with IT?

My tests are still pending. I wait with frustration...

You are all so sweet, no lumps of sugar in your coffee. Your little pinky dipped in and swirled around will do the same.....

Head hugs,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
03-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Found this in our local paper...very rare syptoms of low body temperatures...let me know if you cant see the article...I'm going to save it to my computer.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1042881.html

Saysusie
03-11-2008, 10:56 AM
:smilecolros:

Oluwa
03-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Tomorrow I have an appointment with the GYN to discuss the treatment and results..so stay tuned. I've been told everything else except why I went to see her, well, her PA in the first place. Low temp, rapid weigh gain.

The only think I know thus far is I have a rotten pear.

Probably all in my mind...and my A/C is too high and I like to eat, eat a lot...
:shock:
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Oluwa

Hahahahaha I wish it were that easy...dang let me go turn the heat up and put a lock on the fridge door :lol: .

Oluwa
03-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Cheryl...

You disappeared again. Still doing laundry?

How are new pills working? Did the test results come back normal?

I am having insomnia and I thought, Cheryl..where is that girl. My IT family, always in my thoughts and prayers...

Thinking of you, wondering where and how you are...

Happy Spring...boing...

Be well, hugs,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
03-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Hello, sorry haven't been around, but I've been thinking of you and all others here. Its been a bad week, and of course the laundry is still never done. The Welbutrim was uped to 300mg, still no helpful change. All test came back neg as usual. Depressing and painful week, to top it off my bp is up to 152/100. Might have to go on meds for that too, great more money I don't have. Sorry to keep going on, just don't want to even get out of bed. Life goes on anyway, just putting through it. Thanks for thinking of me, brought a smile I haven't had all week. I hope everything is going well for you as well. Doc app. go well for you? I'll check back later, promise.

sick n tired
03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey Cheryl,

Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble. It is ok however to go on and on about it. Sometimes venting is all we are able to do and it is great to be able to vent on this forum.

Today I am not really able to get out of bed, either.

Hope that you have a better week this week and that your bp goes down to normal.

Karen

cheryl_v
03-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks, wish I was in bed today. Kids are out of school today, so mine and day-care kids are here. I wish I didn't have to wear this fake smile. I want to scream, cry and just go to bed and not get up for days or weeks. Down to 2 day-care kids left, got jipped in pay again. I only charge $10 a day per child plus they bring there own food ($15 for 1yr olds). They only have to pay on fridays so they only get charged for when they are here, and still I have trouble getting paid. My hubby says I'm too kind at times and should demand the money up front. It just adding to my money trouble, can't get any buisness. These people around here have 3-7 kids and act as if I should give a group dicount or something. Oh well, the bad thing is thats the least of the stress this week. I could write a mini book on the rest. Thanks for listening, everyones fighting. Got to go defuse the problem.

Oluwa
03-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Did you have to call the bomb squad in to diffuse it Cheryl....

I was mentioning in another thread to you, maybe ask for a week or a days fee upfront. In the rears like a regular pay check. Always a week, a day in the rears to ensure monies is received for all services rendered...

Write a new contract with your new policy...
Children no pay for service is the same as no children no pay for service, eh?

Would save the wear and tear on you...diminishing the stress, nerves, worries and stop a few of IT's cronies in their tracks..

So do tell, I would like to know about the other chapters in your mini book...

Head hug,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
03-26-2008, 07:52 AM
No but the water sprayer worked just fine, although I do think that loved it so that may have back fired :lol: . :lol: Thanks for everything. I replied in the other post. I'll chat back later.

Shyce
03-29-2008, 02:16 PM
i dont what it means really, or what cause it, but i get fevers as high as 106.

but what concerns me more is that i get really cold a whole lot. (and remember i live in Jamaica :) )

i shiver soo much and have to be dressed up as if its is winter outside. usually, during these times tho, i have a really high fever, most times around 103 or 104.

people around me find me so weird during these stages. but then after a couple of hours i start to swet insanely, and i just have to shed everything. it isnt subtle at all, i just suddenly get super hot. my doctors havnt been able to explain why. is there something i should consider?

shellyq68
03-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I also have low body temp ranging from 96-97. I have asked the docs about it and they say not to worry its no big deal. But when I have that temp it makes you feel rotten. I get so tired of hearing....ehhh don't worry about it not going to hurt ya.

poetgal
03-31-2008, 07:17 PM
and I just posted this somewhere else. I always thought it was me!! I hardly ever get up to 97!! A fever is 98.7 or so! so count me in too...sometimes I do actually get fevers from my illness..then they can get really high...but otherwise it is low

Oluwa
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
It is as hot as I am normally outside lately...it's 96 degrees outside now and I am chilled. I think I have a fever. Temping at 98.2 so that would be like 100 - 101 for me...but Feel fine...

Humm :shock:
Oluwa

Goldee
06-06-2008, 01:59 AM
OMG! I'm not alone!!?

For years (like 20) my temp was 96.6. Lately it has been "normal" 98.6ish.

I just woke up, blazing hot, drenched from head to toe .... sure I had a fever... took my temp and it is only 98. This hasn't happened in a long time but it used to happen frequently. The docs always say it is hormones but I wonder...

SwirlyGirly
06-06-2008, 07:29 PM
I have been keeping a log on my temps and some symptoms for several years. I'm also a low temp person. Mine averages 96.3. When my lupus flares I get fevers, high fevers. I hallucinate when it gets to 106. My doctor said that both can be normal with lupus (the normal low temps and the high temps with flares).

Nice to know I'm not alone out there :)

But he can't explain the random sweat to death for no reason periods. I'll be fine or even cold and begin sweating to death. I think I feel cold because of the Raynaud's. So my hands and feet will be ice and I'll be covered in sweat. Always fun to explain at work.

sits_inthe_corner
06-07-2008, 03:55 AM
I Bet!

laurid8967
06-08-2008, 07:14 PM
OK, count me in too for the low body temp. My docs ignore it too. Once (I felt soo ill) the nurse took my temp and said, "looks good, its 99.2!) I said, that is a fever for me, my body temp is always really low. She said, a bit later in the conversation, "Well at least we know its not an infection, because you dont have a fever!!" Hello? Just one of MANY things of mine that docs have brushed off/aside. I dont think my temp has gone above 100 in YEARS, even with severe infection, pneumonia etc. And when I feel relatively symptomless, my temp is really low. So, for me, its almost like I always hve something going on, as it hovers around 99 most of the time. I can actually admit that I once lied over the phone to the docs when they said "Do you have a temp?" I knew if I got into the whole "low body" temp thing with them, they would dismiss me, so I lied and said it was 101 so they would agree to see me. Man, what we are reduced to doing when we are trying to get diagnosed!! Take care all -
Lauri

Oluwa
06-09-2008, 05:35 AM
We should print this thread and show our doctors who don't believe, who ignore.....that 75 people with IT have a low temperature...

cheryl_v
06-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Wow, that many!? :shock:

Oluwa
06-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Cheryl

I did an estimate by the number of replies to my question and that is just here. There must be masses.

Before my norm was 99...today my norm is 96....

L.,
O

cheryl_v
06-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Same, was 98-99. Now always 96.

katinar
06-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi
When the disease is "more" active my body temperature is all over the place. Normal body temp for me is 97 or less. I can be freezing when everyone else
is hot, conversely when I get a little overtired I start burning up. Thyroid etc is normal. Personally, I think the disease just messes with the body's ability to regulate and respond to both internal and external factors.
I have had lupus for 30 years and have yet to hear a reason for any of this.
Katina

luvpinkpeeps
06-15-2008, 07:33 PM
wow, my mom always had a low body temp...just another clue that we believe she had undiagnosed lupus.

livingINmyDayDreams
07-10-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm always cold too. Before they diagnosed me with lupus I was fine but now I'm always cold. My friends will ask me how I'm cold becuase it will be the middle of the summer and I'll wear a sweatshirt around the house. When we go to football games and things I'm the one who stands there shaking ha ha. They'll be cold too but I'll be freezing. I blame it on Lupus, because I seriously think that's what it is.

cheryl_v
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't doubt if it was lupus, IT causes so much. By the way, love your screen-name :D .

bunker_57
07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
I have low temps, 96.4 is normal for me and as others have said 99 is high and I feel sick. I also have raynauds and my feet hands and nose is usually cold. Had a hysterctomy at a fairly young age and now at 50 I seem to have one awful case of menapause, hot flashes non-stop. Will break out in a heavy sweat, just walking across the room, and we have central air. Two minutes later I will be cold. Not sure if that helps, but between the lupus and the menapause, my body is totally confused.

laurid8967
07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
LOLOL - I get the sweats something AWFUL, and Im NOT in menopause (offically checked by doc). Then it stops and my body feels ICE COLD ..brrr. I find I sweat at night on and off, and have been lately. I thought the steroids may be contributing...Have had to wash my sheets and pillowcases (its my head that perspires the most - weird?) constantly.
Thinking back, I cant tell you how many times Ive been to the doc, feeling like junk and saying, "I feel like I have a fever" and them saying "But, you dont"
THere are SO MANY THINGS that we all share, that docs know nothing about - its insane! This disease REALLY needs some research done...I read on the LFA website that there has been no new diagnostic tools OR new medications for lupus patients in FORTY YEARS!! That is nothing short of dispicable...Thus, we go years being sick without any treatment, treated like crazy people. Then, when we DO get diagnosed, the only treatments available are mostly toxic, and cause us even more symptoms. OK, Is it me?? This is a problem. But, you know, thank God that they found a cure for impotence....
Lauri
Lauri