PDA

View Full Version : high blood pressure

WantItGone
02-04-2008, 07:31 AM
I've had high blood pressure since October (159/89). I do smoke (I'm gettin a prescription today for Zyban, don't worry I'm quitting). Zyban has worked before for me so I'm not worried about that. I do drink (in moderation). I am stressed, obviously. But, I'm wondering if the high blood pressure has to do with steroids. I've had 2 steroid injections (depo medrol) and one medro dose pack. I'm wondering if the high blood pressure has anything to do with steroids or is it another symptom of lupus. Anyone else have high blood pressure because of lupus or steroids?

cheryl_v
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
High blood presure can be from so many things, its so hard to tell what's causing it. I have it too at times. I've learned lately foods that can help control it daily. Plenty of water (of course, lol), 64oz a day. Also, 2 bananas a day can lower blood pressure by 10%. I quit smoking too and it dropped mine some too. Good luck on finding answers you need. :D

Pretti in Pink
02-04-2008, 09:19 PM
I have found that steroids can raise your blood pressure. Prior to being on prednisore I never had blood pressure problems, but once I started them I was put on a mild blood pressure pill. Not to say that is the only thing triggering it, but I did notice the change.

Missy
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes, Prednisone and kidney problems can also both increase blood pressure. It is great that ou are doing all you can to control it by changing habits. Of course, I hope that if it doesn't reduce that your doctor will evaluate your medication and be sure to check your kidneys.

Good luck!

WantItGone
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys for all of your comments. I have added a banana per day to my diet. I started taking zyban today to help quit smoking. I took it 3 years ago and was very successful in quitting w/the help of zyban. I won't be getting any more steroid injections so maybe once the streroid is out of my system, my blood pressure will decline. The steroids are the only new thing in my life. I absolutely do not want to add any more medications to my already long list of meds. Anyway, thanks a bunch!

Morpheus
02-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Hi WantItGone
I've quit smoking sucessfully after reading "Alan Car's easy way to stop smoking" this was really helpfull.
And also it costs much less than zyban with no side effects that zyban might have

WantItGone
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi WantItGone
I've quit smoking sucessfully after reading "Alan Car's easy way to stop smoking" this was really helpfull.
And also it costs much less than zyban with no side effects that zyban might have

Thanks Morpheus,

I've taken zyban before. It's wonderful. Plus, I have insurance so my co-pay is $3. Can't beat that! So, I've already started. I'm sure I'll be smoke free in 14 days. Thanks again.

Missy
02-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Good for you, Wantitgone. Confidence is the most important thing. I'll be rooting for you and hoping that blood pressure goes down!

WantItGone
02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Good for you, Wantitgone. Confidence is the most important thing. I'll be rooting for you and hoping that blood pressure goes down!

Thanks Missy. I went today and it was 116/82. So, that's significantly different and better. I refuse to take any more pills!

cheryl_v
02-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah!! I'm so glad your bp is down, I hope it stays that way. Good luck on quit smoking, its a great feeling when your done. You feel and breath so much easier. Ta-ta :D .

WantItGone
02-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah!! I'm so glad your bp is down, I hope it stays that way. Good luck on quit smoking, its a great feeling when your done. You feel and breath so much easier. Ta-ta :D .

Thanks Cheryl. I'm happy I'm quitting. I know it's a horrible habit. My day to quit is the 20th. You take the pills for 2 weeks and you can still smoke. From my past experience with Zyban, you gradually have less of a desire to smoke. By the 2nd week, you pretty much wake up and forget to smoke. It really works. This sounds like an infomercial for Zyban. :)

Suzique
02-11-2008, 02:52 PM
WantItGone,
Sound like an infomercial all you want. I have been struggling with how I am going to quit, I need to so badly. You have given me food for thought. I may just ask my doc for a prescription (I have good med coverage, too). I have listened to tapes, my husband and son hate it, I am a nurse and know I should not, but still I do. Perhaps you have nailed what it will take for me.

Thanks!
Susan

cheryl_v
02-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Your welcome Wantitgone :D . Good luck to you as well Suzique. I won't lie, quitting is so hard, but so worth it. If for some reason Zyban is not covered by your ins. (mine didn't cover it), ask doc to give you a script of Welbutrim. Doc said they have same active ingredients, just that Welb. is an anti-depresssant. So it's always covered by ins., I took it for a little while and haven't smoked since (2-1/2yrs). My hubby takes it for stress from work for the last 2yrs, didn't quit though. He did go from 3-4 cartons a month of full flavor 100's to 1 carton a month of ultra lite 100's (all within 4-6 wks). Not as good as my outcome, but a big improvement. Hope this helps :P .

WantItGone
02-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Your welcome Wantitgone :D . Good luck to you as well Suzique. I won't lie, quitting is so hard, but so worth it. If for some reason Zyban is not covered by your ins. (mine didn't cover it), ask doc to give you a script of Welbutrim. Doc said they have same active ingredients, just that Welb. is an anti-depresssant. So it's always covered by ins., I took it for a little while and haven't smoked since (2-1/2yrs). My hubby takes it for stress from work for the last 2yrs, didn't quit though. He did go from 3-4 cartons a month of full flavor 100's to 1 carton a month of ultra lite 100's (all within 4-6 wks). Not as good as my outcome, but a big improvement. Hope this helps :P .

Thanks Cheryl. My understanding is wellbutrin, zyban, and buprofan are one in the same. I definitely have hope in zyban since I've taken it before. My doctor explained to me 3 years ago that zyban (aka wellbutrin aka buprofan) was used as a anti-depressant and doctors eventually discovered that smokers no longer wanted to smoke. So, they start prescribing it to smokers. So, I'm extremely optimistic that I'll be quitting on the 20th. Thanks for your responses!

cheryl_v
02-12-2008, 08:13 PM
:olympic: I'm rooting for you so let me know how it's going, no matter how it's going :changes: . Good luck to all who are quiting :wink: . By the way hows your bp? Stable I hope.

WantItGone
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
:olympic: I'm rooting for you so let me know how it's going, no matter how it's going :changes: . Good luck to all who are quiting :wink: . By the way hows your bp? Stable I hope.

Thanks Cheryl for the support! You're such a sweetie. I bought a home blood pressure monitor. I debated on buying it because I knew I'd check it all the time the same way I overabuse the scale. Lol. My bp hasn't gone down. In fact, I was a little mad @ myself last night because after checking it, in some ways I felt more anxious about a heart attack or stroke but in other ways I felt more in control at least knowing my bp. It was 149/106 tonight. So, I don't know. My husband is really worried. We had a slight arguement (he's since apologized :D ) because he thinks I should stop smoking now instead of Feb 20. He doesn't really understand that I still have urges to smoke since the Zyban hasn't fully kicked in. But, I'm sensitive to his fears. So, I told him I'd smoke only 3 cigs a day until the 20th. I met that goal today. So, I'm on my way to being smoke free. I don't have a high sodium intake, so that's not an issue for me. I started back exercising and incorporated veggies and fruits into my diet. So, hopefully I can bring my bp down w/o pills. Thanks so much for thinking about me. I truly love this site. I feel as if it's one place I can go where pretty much everyone truly understands what I'm going thru. And vice versa, I understand what you're going thru. I hope you're feeling awesome!!

cheryl_v
02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Your welcome dear-heart, always glad to be of help or support or whatever needed. I have a bp machine at home too. It helps when you can monitor it yourself, you can notice triggers and such. That reminds me, its how I found out one of my main causes of high bp (besides smoking at that time of course, lol). It was sinus meds, sudafed (sp?), and alka-seltzer cold plus. The decongestive med was causing it to go from 130/85 to 159/105. As soon as the meds wore of a few hrs later, it would go back down. I only take Zertec and Benadryl (sp?) now, they don't effect. Doc said some cold meds can too. So cleche BUT: water can lower it as well, 64oz a day. There's foods and drinks that can help lower bp if your interested, let me know. I like natural approches verses meds if possible. Hope your bp goes down, and congrats on only 3 today! Thats a very good start, keep it up dear-heart!! :D

WantItGone
02-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Your welcome dear-heart, always glad to be of help or support or whatever needed. I have a bp machine at home too. It helps when you can monitor it yourself, you can notice triggers and such. That reminds me, its how I found out one of my main causes of high bp (besides smoking at that time of course, lol). It was sinus meds, sudafed (sp?), and alka-seltzer cold plus. The decongestive med was causing it to go from 130/85 to 159/105. As soon as the meds wore of a few hrs later, it would go back down. I only take Zertec and Benadryl (sp?) now, they don't effect. Doc said some cold meds can too. So cleche BUT: water can lower it as well, 64oz a day. There's foods and drinks that can help lower bp if your interested, let me know. I like natural approches verses meds if possible. Hope your bp goes down, and congrats on only 3 today! Thats a very good start, keep it up dear-heart!! :D

Thanks Cheryl, you're so sweet! Truly! I am supposed to quit smoking wednesday. I've been checking my bp daily. Actually, 3-4 times per day. I'm a bit obsessive. :) Lol. My bp has stayed above 145/95. So, idk. Hopefully it goes down after I quit smoking. I reallllyyyy don't want to add another medication. Thanks for the tips, especially about water. I know what you mean about it being cliche. No matter what ailment you have, drinking water helps. Lol. I need to start drinking more water. Anyway, thanks a bunch for your support. I hope all is well with you!

cheryl_v
02-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Your very welcome, anytime :multi: . All here's not to bad, juust fighting a low temp (93.7). Tomorrow's your quitting day, best of luck to you. My tredmil was my best friend when the meds didn't quite touch it for the moment. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

cheryl_v
02-21-2008, 07:50 AM
How your first day go? Well I hope :D .

sick n tired
02-21-2008, 11:00 PM
You go, Want It Gone!!!!!

I am in the cheering section for you. You have your past successes to spur you on so you must be tough.

Suzique I will cheer for you, too. My mother and sister in law are RN's Mom has been director of nurses. My sis is a nurse practitioner. I know the grit of nurses and I am sure that if you were to put your mind to it you would succeed. After all, everybody knows that Doctors are nothing without the nurses.
:multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire:

Cheering in my sleep,

Karen

cheryl_v
02-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Boy, isn't that the truth!! That's why I love my docs nurse, I wouldn't know what I do without her. :D

sick n tired
02-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Yes it is...Actually Doctors wouldn't know what to do without nurses. :lol:

Hope today is a great one for everyone.

Karen

Suzique
02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Cheryl, Karen, You guys are so kind. Thank you for your kind words. I was actually sitting here thinking about slipping out to sneak one. Honestly!! But your faith in me gives me strength to stay away from that. Thank you :)

Susan

Suzique
02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
WantItGone, Well, I'm in it with you, my friend. Hope you are doing well on this 2nd day for you. I have been struggling with the habit and trying to work it out of my system, too. No matter how much I know it is bad for me, the pull is still so strong. But I believe we are STRONGER! How about your BP? How is it doing today? Just know that we are all here with you.

Susan

cheryl_v
02-22-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm soooo rooting for the both of you. I know you two can do it. I'll check back later on you two, ta-ta! :D

sits_inthe_corner
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
it will be two years this spring. :shock:

I had tried very "method" there is to quitting smoking, except cold turky. So I gave that a try. Kept telling my self (sometimes I still tell myself) That I can start smoking when I'm 70 yrs old if I want to, cause the last ten years are the crappy ones anyway lol.

I replaced my routine smokes with Tango sugarless gum or mint tea (which I never drank befor I quit)

Every once in awhile I'll still get a wave that washes over me....a craving. But I take a deep breath till it's gone. They dont last long and they happen less and less now. Actually I think I'm addicted to the cravings :grab:

Best wishes WantItGone, just remember there was a time when you were a non smoker....and you can be a non smoker again...just get stubborn about it.

AND if you should slip...dont beat yourself up...just start all over again. :)

sits_inthe_corner
02-22-2008, 03:27 PM
I ment to tell you that I had high blood presure for a while...my doc put me on a diaretic...which lowers blood presure...but mine wouldn't lower. But at home my BP was fine. My husband has a machine at home because of his heart attack so he started taking mine too.

I took my machine in to my next doctor's appoint with my results from that morning...she took my BP with both machines and it showed high.

I said, "IT"S YOU! I have white coatitus!" She agreed and I have been fine ever since. She just made me nervous. But I still quit smoking and started eating things that cleared and lowered my cholesterol. And I work out. That's about the time the lupus hit. Sucks .. don't it? :splat: