PDA

View Full Version : biopsy test

lyss
02-03-2008, 12:05 PM
:) hi all. i have a questions if you can suggest or give any question i would be highly thankfull,i have undergo a urine test and the results not good,theres blood and protein so y doctor suggest me to undergo kidney biopsy and am very scared after reading how the test is done,i dunno wat to do,any suggestion if the test is painfull,pliz anyone can help me out here?

Faith
02-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi Lyss,

I am so sorry about your lab tests. I have no personal experience with this, but I am sure Saysuzie or another member of the forum will respond. Have they done a ultrasound or CT scan?

Please keep us updated and let us know what you find out. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Take care,

Faith 8)

Here is some info I found on Webmd:

A kidney biopsy is done using a long thin needle put through the back (flank) into the kidney. This is called a percutaneous kidney biopsy. A tissue sample is taken and sent to a lab. It is looked at under a microscope. The sample can help your doctor see how healthy your kidney is and look for any problems.

The two kidneys are found on either side of the spine, in the lower back. They help the body balance water, salts, and minerals in the blood. The kidneys also filter waste products from the blood and make urine.

A kidney biopsy may be done to check for kidney problems. It may also be done after other tests for kidney disease, such as blood and urine tests, ultrasound, or a computed tomography (CT) scan, show a kidney problem. If kidney cancer is suspected, a biopsy may not be done because of the chance of spreading the cancer.

Why It Is Done
A kidney biopsy is done to:

Find kidney disease when there is blood or protein in the urine or when the kidneys are not working well.
Check kidney problems seen on an ultrasound or a CT scan.
Watch kidney disease and see if treatment is working.
See whether a transplanted kidney is working.
How To Prepare
Tell your doctor if you:

Are taking any medicines. If you are taking aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen or naproxen), or blood thinners (such as Coumadin, heparin, or Plavix), your doctor may tell you to stop taking these medicines for several days before the biopsy.
Are allergic to any medicines, such as those used to numb the skin (anesthetics).
Have had bleeding problems or take blood thinners, such as aspirin or warfarin (Coumadin).
Are or might be pregnant.
Do not eat or drink for 8 hours before the biopsy. You will empty your bladder before the biopsy.

Arrange to have someone take you home after the biopsy because you may be given a medicine (sedative) to help you relax.

You will have blood tests done before the kidney biopsy to see whether you have any bleeding problems or blood clotting disorders. You may also have an ultrasound test or CT scan of the kidney to show the best place in your kidney to put the biopsy needle.

For a kidney biopsy, you will be asked to sign a consent form. Talk to your health professional about any concerns you have regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be done, or what the results will mean. To help you understand the importance of this test, fill out the medical test information form(What is a PDF document?).

lyss
02-07-2008, 04:34 AM
faith!you are a true faith and thanks for he reply and your help am realy gratitude to you,anyways iwould appreciate more if someone have experience this test and could explain to me,anyways thanks for everything love you all.

Lupieleeshee
02-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Lyss,
I have had two kidney biopsies and they were both very easy with very little discomfort. They did the procedure at a Hopsital while I was awake but gave me a medication to help me relax as well as something to numb the back were they insert the needle. I was taken into a room where CT scans are done. I layed on my stomach ans was given a shot in my back to numb the area. They put me under the CT machine so they could see the excat location of my kidney and where to insert the needle. I was asked to hold very still and take a deep breath and hold it. They inserted the needle and it was over. The whole thing took less than 30 minutes. I was then taken to a room where they put me under obervation for 24 hours afterwards to make sure there was no internal bleeding. The made me lay on my back the whole time and try to be as still as possible. They also would not let me get up to use the restroom ( you have to use a bedpan). I had a little cramping in the area for a couple of days and had a bruise for a while but other than that it was pretty simple.

Best of luck with your results!!!

Alicia