PDA

View Full Version : Pleurisy Question

luvwine2007
01-25-2008, 08:31 PM
I know there is a lot of talk about pleurisy, and I've read about it, but I just have one question....how long does it last? For many years I have had a sharp pain when I take a deep breath, but it only lasts for a couple of breaths and then goes away until next time, which could be next week or next month. Is that how pleurisy is? Or does it last much longer?

I have another rheumy appt in a couple weeks, and I've been keeping a health journal since I last saw her two months ago, so I'm just trying to make sure I've got all my symptoms squared away.

Saysusie
01-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Pleurisy is different for each of us. My attacks last about an hour and then I won't have another for months. My daughter's lasted for days, to the point where she often had to be hospitalized and given large doses of prednisone.
Nothing about Lupus or the co-existing diseases we get is straightforward. Everything is different for each of us and there is no way of knowing how anything will affect any of us.
In most cases, how long pleurisy lasts depends on its cause. For example, pleurisy caused by pleurodynia (a temporary illness that is a result of virus infection) may come and go over a few days. In rare cases, a person with pleurodynia may have several episodes of pleuritic chest pain over several weeks before the illness finally goes away. In patients with bacterial pneumonia or rheumatic fever, pleurisy typically goes away when the infection is cured with antibiotics. In patients with lung cancer or connective tissue disease (like us with Lupus), the chest pain of pleurisy may persist for longer periods.

Hope I've answered your question.
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

ethanandrew
02-02-2008, 04:08 AM
hi luvwine

i have the chest pain to. when i was in the hospital in july, i had pleuresy. the pain never went away so i asked my doc. about it she told me she could hear no rub and also xrayed my lungs they were clear. the pain is part of lupus the tissues between the ribs inflame. there isnt one day that i can remember not having rib pain. it really stinks to have to put up with it pain killers just take the edge off

take care ethan andrew