PDA

View Full Version : chostrocondritis?

cranbrycloud
01-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey everyone! Hope you are all doing well. I have a question about my chest pain. I keep getting pain on the right side of my lower rib cage and when I try to exercise it becomes almost unbearable. Sometimes I don't feel it and it is ok. Other times I feel it very sharply all the ay to my back and when I touch the area it hurts. Lately I am also feeling pain on the lower left side too, but not as severe. I have talked to my GP and my rheumy about it and they both keep saying this type of pain is probably just a muscle cramp adn not serious. But I swear when I run I feel like I am having a heart attack and can't get my breath. I have had pleurisy before and this is definitely a different pain. Am I crazy? What is going on? Are my docs brushing a serious symptom to the side? I saw some postings about chostrocondritis, what is it? Is this similar to my symptoms? I feel like they think I am exagerrating the severity of the pain because when I am sitting on their table the pain is not present. What do you guys think?
Thanks so so so much as usual! :lol:

Faith
01-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Cranbrycloud,

It sounds like Costochondritis; though I am not a doctor. I had it in October; couldn't wear a bra for a week and inflammation spread to my rib cage front to back. Hot baths and the heating pad were my best friend along with liquid filled Advil per my doc. GP said rest for one week, nothing physical at all or it will aggravate it again. I had to stop doing what I did when the attacks occurred or it would have continued to come back.

I thought I was close to having a heart attack initially; but it was on my right side and not left. Indigestion like you would not believe; couldn't catch my breath, and wanted to vomit after the attack. Primary doctor confirmed it and my sternum/middle chest was swollen 2x it's normal size. Pain can extend to ribs and radiate to your ribcage.

I would make an appointment to see your GP and not relent. It's not life threatening; it takes time for it to calm down. You are not cramping; I can't believe some of these doctors. It really blows my mind!! Tell him you feel awful and in pain. You are not leaving his office until he has diagnosed you and made suggestions for treatment or find another GP. I can't stand doctors who don't listen to their patients.

I hope you feel well soon.

Take care,

Faith 8)

Here is the definition by Webmd:

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. The condition causes localized chest pain that you can reproduce by pushing on the cartilage in the front of your ribcage. Costochondritis is a relatively harmless condition and usually goes away without treatment. The cause is usually unknown.

Costochondritis (with unknown cause) is a common cause of chest pain in children and adolescents. It accounts for 10-30% of all chest pain in children. Annually, doctors evaluate about 650,000 cases of chest pain in young people 10-21 years of age. The peak age for the condition is 12-14 years.

Tietze syndrome usually comes on abruptly, with chest pain radiating to your arms or shoulder and lasting several weeks. Tietze syndrome is accompanied by a localized swelling at the painful area (the junction of the ribs and breastbone).
Costochondritis Causes
Costochondritis is an inflammatory process but usually has no definite cause. Repeated minor trauma to the chest wall or viral respiratory infections can commonly cause chest pain due to costochondritis.

sick n tired
01-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Hi Cranbrycloud,

Faith pretty much said it all. If you have had all of the more serious things (like lungs and heart) checked out and they are fine, then it is probably chostrochondritis.

I also have had bouts of that. It can be very scary. I thought that maybe I was having a heart attack, but the heart is fine. Ibuprophen helps with the discomfort.

Hope you are feeling painless before long.

Karen

cheryl_v
01-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Hey, sorry you have the pain in your chest. I know to well how that hurts. Mine are the same exact areas you describe, but are from dehydration. Simple as it sounds, thats what it was. I'm lucky my mother-in-law's a nurse that I can call. Maybe TMI here, but lack of bowl movement causes bad pains on the right too. She had me drink 4oz of warm prune juice (YUCK!), but an hour later the pain was gone and able to go to the bathroom. Didn't even realize I hadn't gone in days until she asked if I had. I try to keep flavored water on hand so as not to get dehydrated again. I stay so busy sometimes that I forget to drink or eat. Hopefully its something simple, and nothing serious. God bless you, and may your pain go away :scatter: .

sick n tired
01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
How very interesting. Dehydration. I have a hard time keeping hydrated. I never knew that could cause chest pains. I am going to explore that with my daughter, also. She sometimes has these pains,too.

Thanks for the info.........

Karen