PDA

View Full Version : need help finding a counselor in my area

supposedlynotsick
01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Does anyone have any advice on how I find a therapist in my area that deals with or at least understands chronic illnesses? My counselor seemed to understand for a while, but now she doesn't. She thinks I need to quit "focusing on getting a diagnosis" and get a job. I have quit seeing her but need to find another one I think. Any advice?

Suzique
01-25-2008, 10:35 AM
SNS,
I was shocked regarding your counsellor's attitude. You do not need that - ever! I am not from your area, so I have no ideas on specific counsellors, but I found mine through my rheumy. You might ask your PCP or other physician for a recommendation. If the one you were seeing was from this sort of recommendation, be sure to tell the doc who recommended him/her how they have acted to you. It is their job to be impartial, and not to say judgemental things to the clients!
Another thing to do is look under "Counseling" in the phone book and call the offices to chat with the receptionist. I have found that the attitude of the receptionist says a lot about any kind of practice. It is worth a try.
Hope you have better luck with a new counsellor. I get lots of encouragement and good ideas for relaxing, taking things one day at a time, etc., from mine. She is good about not letting me "wallow", but she encourages me to find ways to solve my problems, NOT act as though they do not exist.
Good luck in your search.

Susan

hatlady
01-25-2008, 10:49 AM
So sorry to hear you're having issues getting a diagnosis. Many of us have had that experience. Autoimmune conditions are devilishly tricky to diagnose.

To find a counselor? It is hard to say. If there is an Arthritis Foundation Chapter in your area, possibly they have a list. Or MS Society, or even American Cancer Society. All may posibly have a list of counselors who are skilled at dealing with chronic conditions.

I'm glad you've found us, this is a site with information, fellowship, support, laughter and friendship.

supposedlynotsick
01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks to both of you! I am really glad I found you all too.
I was thinking of calling the American Cancer Society also. I tried calling the Lupus Foundation in my area but they did not have any ideas for me. My old counselor really upset me by saying that. Being sick for three years really takes a toll on you as I am sure you all know. Thanks again! I'll let you know if I find one.
Julie