View Full Version : blood clot or mondo bruise?

01-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Here's a weird one: Today I was putting lotion on my leg and when I got to the back of my calf I yelped in pain. I went to the mirror and found a huge bruise, and I can't remember having bumped myself there. I remembered something I had read about the danger of blood clots and called my doc's office, and they wanted me to come in right away. My doc thinks it's my body freaking out from prednisone, but geez I've never had a bruise this painful. It hurts to have my pantleg rub against it.

I definitely do bruise easily, and the prednisone seems to have increased that. So I guess I will just watch it and see. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

sick n tired
01-17-2008, 12:13 AM

Sorry to hear about you painful bruise. I do hope that it gets better. I know that many lupus patients have mystery bruising(bruises you never knew you had) I get those all of the time. I hate them.

have a great day,


01-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi Mackie,

Blood clots are extremely dangerous and nothing to dismiss...they are very often fatal. I happen to have a condition called thrombocytopenia which means my blood tends to clot....I've been hospitalized for blood clots in my lungs...and this last time was a little too close for comfort.

Make sure to talk to your doctor about this, and ALWAYS call your doctor, no matter how silly it may seem to you - it could be serious.

I don't want to scare you, just hoping to inform you how serious blood clots/bruising can be.

I hope you're feeling better.

Much love,

01-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Browneyedgirl, can you (or anyone else reading this) tell me what lab test factor they check for blood clotting? I know there's a blood test that tells whether or not you could have a blood clotting problem, but I can't remember what it is.


sick n tired
01-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Hey Jody,

I think that the test is the anti cardiolipin antibody test. Not sure if I spelled that correctly. I have problems in that area too.

Have a great day,


01-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Karen is correct, one of the tests is the Anticardiolipin test. This is used to detect antiphospholipid (Hughes) syndrome which is a blood clotting disease (among other things). Another test often used is the Platelet Count.

Peace and Blessings

02-01-2008, 05:05 PM
That is the name of one of the tests Saysuzie, and it's one' of the ones my new rheumy is ordering for me. My old one never ordered it for me after my stroke.

Kinda makes me a bit upset. Ya know?

02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
yea the bruising is fun especially when someone asks what you did to yourself.... if it helps i happen to bruise badly and often and its never been anything (made worse by prednisone!)