PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin K deficiency

mackie
01-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Okay, so I was diagnosed a year ago and I'm still pretty new at this...but I haven't found much of anything about my question anywhere.

My lab results keep showing a Vitamin K deficiency. Is this common with lupus? My doc said to eat more bananas and orange juice, but the deficiency shows up every time.

I'm on methotrexate, prednisone, plaquenil, and all the usual other stuff.

Any ideas?

cheryl_v
01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Lack of Vit. K can keep the blood from clotting,with symptoms of excessive bleeding and easy bruising. Lots of people with lupus do seem to have problems with blood clotting from what I've read. You can help yourself by eating vit. k enrich food such as: spinach, cabbage, and other green leafy veg., pork, liver, and green tea. This vit. is essential for proper blood cloting. Recommended daily ammount for females is 65mcg, males 80mcg. Hope this helps. :D

mackie
01-11-2008, 06:56 AM
does anyone know if the potassium (vitamin k) deficiency could be the result of methotrexate or steroids? I eat a very healthy diet and take multivitamin every day so I should be getting plenty.

Saysusie
01-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi Mackie
People with rheumatic diseases (like Lupus and RA) are prone to have folate deficiency (vitamin K). Especially if they are taking Aspirin for pain management. And, yes, Methotrexate can act as an antimetabolite limiting the availability to metabolize adequate dihydrofolate reductase.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie