PDA

View Full Version : Knumbness and dizzy

vw
01-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I have these days that I am knumb pins and needles and I feel dizzy and can't concentrate- I had an mri all was ok - does this sound like anything on the side of norm >:????

vw

marion
01-10-2008, 05:03 AM
I know exactly how you feel I have been having that for the last 7 months!
My GP says it's hpervantilation,my eye doc says it's my eyes.MRI was fine.Ear doc couldn't find anything either, so am still in the dark about this.
Woudn't hurt to do yoga or meditate and fysiotherapy it helped a bit for me.

Saysusie
01-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Patients with SLE can develop different combinations of symptoms and organ involvement. Lupus can cause damage to the nerves. Damage to nerves can cause numbness, tingling, and weakness of the involved body parts or extremities.
The body’s nervous system consists of two parts. The central nervous system is the brain and spinal cord. The peripheral nervous system is the sensory nerve fibers and motor nerve fibers outside of the brain and spinal cord. Sensory nerves transmit messages about sensations, such as heat, while motor nerves transmit messages that control movement. Peripheral neuropathy is damage to the nerves in the peripheral nervous system.
Peripheral neuropathy, or polyneuropathy, is a general term for disorders of the peripheral nervous system. The peripheral nervous system is the network of nerves outside the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord) connected to the spinal cord. Peripheral neuropathy is a common condition that can cause numbness and tingling. It can be caused by diseases that affect nerve function, such as Lupus and diabetes.
To diagnose a peripheral neuropathy, your doctor should take your complete medical history and perform a thorough physical examination. Your doctor should also order a number of diagnostic tests, such as blood tests, nerve conduction studies, and electromyography (a test of muscle reactions), to pinpoint the area of the damage. You may be referred to a neurologist, who specializes in the study of the nervous system. Your doctor may order additional tests to rule out other underlying causes of your symptoms. To confirm a diagnosis, your doctor may take a small sample, a biopsy, of an affected nerve to examine under a microscope.
Other causes of peripheral neuropathy may include:
Excessive alcohol consumption over time; Nutritional deficiencies;
Nutritional excesses; excessive doses of pyridoxine (B6), for example
Toxins; puffer fish poisoning (fugu); poisonous mussels; stinging caterpillars; Infection or inflammation (common symptom of Lupus);
Overexposure to toxic chemicals such as mercury or lead;Tumors.
Peripheral neuropathy often affects people with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Perhaps you can ask your doctor about this symptom to see if this might be the cause of your numbness and tingling. Let us know what your doctors say and what is decided.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

vw
01-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the advice - I think I will take up the yoga thing for sure ... As far as talking to my docs- well they already told me neuropathy - not much then can do other then B-12... I just get a bit scared as it is more pronouced on the left and i often get vertigo with it... I have been to a neuro- he said all good with the exception of nerve damage on my left side- i just get a bit freaked out ..

sick n tired
01-10-2008, 10:18 PM
I have the exact same thing plus ringing in my ears. My rheumy is thinking that it could be a side effect of plaquenil.

In Him,

Karen

vw
01-11-2008, 02:08 AM
I get the ringing too... Let me know what you find out - I will do the same... Thanks Karen !!!

vw

marion
01-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Ihave ringing in my ear as well ut started before the plaq.
Went to the ear doc and after some tests he said I had a loss of hearing that comes with old age(am only 40).
Also, and I hope I write it correctly, my eardrums were not what they should be, that also can cause vertigo.Have your ears checked!