PDA

View Full Version : Peeing all night long

PJ
01-08-2008, 06:53 AM
At this point I am throwing so many symptoms at my doctors I am begining to feel like a fool. It is just that when I flare the whole body goes to pieces. Let me bounce this one off of you to see if it is related.

One thing that is bothering me is that I am peeing repeatedly every night. I fall asleep on the sofa until my husband goes to bed at midnight, so I pee then. In between midnight and getting up in the morning I pee between 3 and 7 times. Then I wake up having to pee again. So in a period of less than 8 hours I am urinating 5 to 9 times. And we are not talking about feeling like I have to go and not peeing. I really have to go each time to the point that I would wet the bed if I did not go right away. And when I get to the toilet there is a lot of clearish to pale yellow urine. I do not know where it is all coming from because I do not drink much in the evening. I am really missing out on REM sleep due to this.

I was checked for diabetes less than a year ago and came back fine. However I am having problems with swelling, flank pain and my feet swell turn red and they are having painful pins and needles and itching. At the moment all I am taking is Aleve and Atarax (for the itching). In addition I am having a lot of pain along my spine in my upper back that gets worse when I throwup, swallow or burp.

I had the most basic kidney test (the one where you pee in a cup) and my GP said my kidneys are fine. Should I push for more intensive testing or is this not a kidney issue?

Saysusie
01-08-2008, 11:45 AM
There are several things that could be causing your frequent urination. Your doctors have already ruled out diabetes, although it might not hurt to have your glucose levels checked again.
You could be suffering from an UTI, especially given the pain in your back. Kidney failure does not usually generate this type of pain. Other causes could be bladder conditions.
There are two types of urination problems; frequent urination (frequent trips to the bathroom) and excessive urination (large amount of urine leading to frequent trips to the bathroom). In either case, the causes are pretty much the same as above.
Also, are you taking any type of diuretics? Perhaps for high blood pressure or for edema? If so, this medication can cause frequent urination.

Most people get foamy urine now and again, typically because of muco-proteins in the fish, meat or chicken that they eat. During digestion, the body doesn't break down these proteins completely, so they are expelled in the urine. As muco-proteins shoot out of the body, they momentarily come in contact with air and then with water in the toilet bowl. Foam appears because protein does not mix with air or water.
These bubbles occur most frequently in concentrated (dark) urine, like the urine that is passed right after waking up in the morning. If the urine is extremely foamy and continues all the time, there may be a problem with bile salts or the gallbladder.

In Lupus patients, protein leakage in the urine is one indication of kidney involvement (nephrotic syndrome or IgAN). Iga is a protein that helps us fight infections. Protein in the urine is not visible as such, but unusually foamy urine is often a clue to its presence.
IgA nephropathy (or Berger's Disease, IgA nephritis) is an immune complex disorder (or immune-system mediated disease) which causes IgA immune complexes to be deposited and trapped in the glomeruli (the filters in the kidneys), where they cause inflammation (called glomerulonephritis), proliferation of cells in the mesangial matrix, and eventual scarring of the glomeruli (called glomerulosclerosis).
IgAN is suspected when protein and blood (visible or not) are found in the urine, and is ultimately diagnosed by biopsy. Many kidney diseases have similar symptoms to IgAN, to varying degrees. So, to get a definitive diagnosis of IgA nephropathy, a kidney biopsy is generally done. Sometimes, a firm diagnosis of IgAN is not even possible from a biopsy, if the biopsy is done only when the person is already in an advanced stage of chronic renal failur.

Whatever the cause, it does warrant further checking by your doctor, as it may be something serious. Keep us posted!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

PJ
01-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Saysusie

I just wanted to thank you. I am so nervous because it feels like they will never get me back to normal. Every week they are doing new tests and they do not explain anything. I don't know what they think I am going to do with the information that is so horrible but I am tired of being patted on the head like a child. If it were not for you explaining things I would be winging it using google and worrying myself to death for no reason. Seriously, when you punch in symptoms to one of the search engines lots of terrifying things come back that on further examination have no relation. So thanks for keeping me from turning into a nervous wreck.

Saysusie
01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
You are most welcome. We are here to help you, that is our purpose :lol: Just ask us about any test that you may be having or what their results could mean, we will always do our very best to make sure that you are informed and have a clear understanding of what is going on. It is important that you avoid any undue stress as stress is one of our worst enemies! So, anything that we can do to help you reduce your stress is good for you and for us! We want you to be as healthy as you possibly can.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie