PDA

View Full Version : Leg ache and brain fog?

Numpty
01-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Tonight I went to my friends house for dinner and we watched a film. I was curled up on one end of the sofa but did keep moving around during it and while we were eating and drinking etc. When I stood up afterwards to head home though the pain in my knee was horrible. It feels like the tendon down the back is far too tight and in the car my leg felt like it was starting to go a little numb below the knee.
That was roughly two hours ago and I still have this horrible nagging pain in my knee. I usually have trouble with this knee but this feels different.
Has anyone else ever had this sort of nagging ache and numbness?

Also, can someone describe brain fog to me? :lol: Today I've been really bad with trying to remember peoples names if I'm talking about them to someone else. And I'll go to use a word that I might use all the time and suddenly I can't remember what the word is for the life of me. I know its meaning but the actual word is gone! Is that brain fog?

Sorry am having one of those days where everything seems to be bugging me! Sore knee, brain dead, nipping eyes, chapped lips! Bleah!

Numpty
01-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Actually, in the wee while since I put this post up, that's both knees gone, that horrible achy pain down my right leg and worse in that ankle. Both knees ache if I press my fingers on the insides of them and have a few niggly pains in that side of my pelvis now too. Its gonna be a fun weekend! :evil:

hatlady
01-06-2008, 05:54 AM
The knee pain sounds awful Numpty! I hope it goes away soon. No answers (or even suggestions!) for you there.

You've described brain fog pretty well in your post. ...sigh... you look at an object and the mind has this fuzzy wall. What the halibut it is???? YOu try to talk about a concept to a coworker or train them on a project. And the words just don't happen. Instead you look at the computer and think...I know there's a program. I know there's a way to get to it. But... How the heck did I do it? And what is the word for it?

Sometimes the fog clears compeltely and you feel on top of the world. Other times it nags in the background. Other times you feel like your brain is full of chicken feathers.

I try taking a (figurative) step back, a deep calming breath and try to quiet the cacophony of voices in my brain. Sometimes it helps.

Numpty
01-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Thanks for your resopnse Hatlady!

Knee is still niggling me this morning but took my anti-inflamatories like a good girl last night so hopefully they shifted the pain a bit!

Yesterday I was trying to look for a song and the version I wanted was Acoustic. But do you think I could get the word 'acoustic' to come to mind. I'd been talking about it earlier too and then was like 'its unplugged.. oh my god.. how can I not get that word.. its.. its..' :shock: For a while now I've had a few problems with peoples names but have always just said that my 'pregnancy brain' never went away! But my youngest is three now! The other thing I do is at work, I'll get up from my desk and head through to reception for something only to end up standing there saying to the receptionist 'what am I doing through here?'. People react as though you're mad and sometimes I actually feel like it. Am so glad that people here understand as much as I wish you weren't all going through it too ~hugs~

Got my letter yesterday to say that I'm finally on a waiting list to see someone in Rheumatology but the list is at least eleven weeks long ~le sigh~ Well at least I'm finally moving in the right direction towards some form of diagnosis! The not knowing is horrible!

GlassHalfFull
01-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Concerta really helped my brain fog -- you may want to look into it or one of the other ADD meds -- they apparently often work for this...

sits_inthe_corner
02-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Sorry I just saw your post...when is your appointment with the rhuemy?

I've had that same pain in both knees. It's a fine line between sitting too long and moving around too much. You have to find a happy combination.

If you put your hand on or around you knee joint and you feel a place that is warmer than the surrounding area....Ice it for ten minutes. Check this when ever you think of it. It's refered to as a hot spot. It's where your knee joint is irritated and is generating heat, which signals your body that something isn't right, which then floods the area with fluid to protect it. Cooling the joint down for NO LONGER than 10 minutes here and there helps to reduce the pain and the swelling.

I wear tensor wrap around knee supports...NOT the ones with "supports" on the side cause they caused me more pain...not right away but the next day I cried out when I got up from bed. But the soft wrap around ones with the velcro staps add the needed support when you are going for a walk or doing house work or driving. They are easy to remove and put on. I can only stand to wear mine for a couple of hours here and there, then I need a break from it.

As you know by now, it's all a process...you are on your way to getting sorted out...and it does get better. Maybe not 100% but it does get better. :)