PDA

View Full Version : FL and Cold !!!

vw
01-04-2008, 09:40 PM
I do love the cold - live in FL so it lasts about two mths a year- However any advice on how to minimize overall stiffness? I mean it has really kicked up... hours after being in the cold and I still can't bend my fingers arms or knees ...

thanks
vw

ethanandrew
01-05-2008, 04:01 AM
hi tadpole,

Iam originally from wisc. lived there all my life. I recently moved to louisiana with my husband to be. I flew home for christmas and the temp was about 10 degrees. below zero at night. Ihad to christmas shop and it took most of the day out in the weather. Iabout froze, my hand hurt i had to keep gloves on even in the store.

the cold does make a difference to me. down here it can be damp and that will bother me sometimes but nothing like the northwoods of wisc. I do have to say Imiss the snow, its so pretty. Iam home for 3 days now and iam hurting bad from the trip. It to soon will pass. I wish you good health

ethanandrew

vw
01-05-2008, 01:54 PM
You- to I pray the cold does not keep us out of the game for to long !!!! happy New Year!

hatlady
01-05-2008, 03:59 PM
:D vw, those of us in the northern climes - looking out our windows at snow, it was a "warm" day today - I think it got up to 36. We read "Ft Lauderdale" and "cold" and .... chuckle.

Yes, it is all relative.

I wear shawls a lot. I have two at work (one light, one heavy) at home I have tons of shawls, afgans, etc. Warm socks. If outside, gloves and a HAT (yes I'm a broken record). Did you know something like 40 percent of body heat is lost through the head? And winter sun is just as dangerous - wear a hat with a 4" or wider brim.

If I'm at home and get too cold (we keep our house at about 62 degrees), I'll sit in my recliner and use a heating pad on my feet or my stomach. Helps!

Also, warm drinks - tea, broth, whatever suits you.

And hugs work well too :wink:

vw
01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
hey hatlady:

Thanks for the heads up - yes I have been breaking out the sweaters and socks and all that good stuff... Yes lots of tea too... This is my first year really feeling all this - :) so with that in mind I guess this is all new to me - I am 28yrs old so the whole feeling like i can't move in the cold is kinda scary... well thanks for always lifting me up ..

vw :)

mnjodette
01-06-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm with Hatlady...keep your head warm! I live in Minnesota (Northern Minnesota...reallly cold!) and the thought of Fort Lauderdale being cold...well, you know.... I guess it's all relative, though, isn't it? About keeping your head warm - I wear hooded sweatshirts sometimes and pull the hood up in the house, too. It really makes quite a difference in how quickly I warm up. 'Course, warm fuzzy socks and layers are helpful, too. Keeping your core temperature warm (with layers around your torso and covering your head) will increase your circulation and warm you better. That's a lesson I've learned with raynauds - can't just wear gloves and mittens to keep my hands warm!

So, here's to Spring! It can't come too soon for me. :lol: