PDA

View Full Version : Flares

Gabrielwriter
01-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I am newly diagnosed with Lupus, and had a question regarding flares. Is there a time frame of how long they typically last? Do you have symptoms all the time, just worse in flares?? Do you take medications all the time, but more or different ones during flares?? I realize that not everyone reacts the same, but just wanted an overview. thanks! :lol:

cheryl_v
01-05-2008, 10:25 PM
webmd.com has an overview on lupus and meds that may help. :)

Saysusie
01-06-2008, 02:41 PM
The problem with answering your question is the fact that Lupus is a very unpredictable disease. It affects each of us very differently. None of us have the exact same symptoms, none of our symptoms develop the same way or on the same time line. Even within each of us, our lupus changes (symptoms come and go...they get worse or they get better...some disappear and new ones appear).
Just as the disease is different for each of us, so are our flares. No one can predict when a flare-up will occur, how long it will last or which symptoms will be involved.
Some of us do have symptoms all of the time and some of them get worse with flare-ups. Some of us have periods where we feel relatively symptom-free until we suffer a flare-up. Being symptom-free can last anywhere from a few hours, to a day or for months to years for some. There is no way of saying how long anyone's remission will last. The same holds true for flare-ups!
The best thing for you to do is to pay attention to your body. What things were you doing/eating/exposed to before your flare-up began. Sometimes, when we get to know our bodies, we can pick up signals from our bodies that we may be having a flare. This takes time and careful attention to you, your symptoms, your medications, you environment, etc. Learn as much as you can about these things and how they affect you. Take precautions to avoid flare-ups (stay out of the sun, avoid UV rays, get recuperative rest, exercise regularly, take medications as prescribed etc.)
I'm sorry that I could not give you any definitive answers, but with an unpredictable disease, such as Lupus, it is not easy to give definite answers!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie