PDA

View Full Version : Melatonin and HCTZ

Gabrielwriter
01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I was recently diagnosed with Lupus and for aproximatley 4 months prior to that had been taking Melatonin to help me sleep. Since my diagnosis, I have been reviewing every medication that I take and one study said that Melatonin is not good in autoimmune diseases because it could cause a flare. Has anyone else had any experiences with Melatonin? I also have read that you need to use caution if taking HCTZ (hydrachlorothiazide, a diuretic and sometimes used in high blood pressure). Of course my BP pill contains HCTZ. I don't go back to my doc for several more weeks, but was wondering what other's experiences have been. Thanks for your input!

Faith
01-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi Gabrielwriter,

When I was originally diagnosed over 2 years ago; I was told to take Melatonin to help sleep. My experience with Melatonin is that I didn't sleep at all. My rhuemy gave me an rx for generic Restoril; it really helped and I slept like a baby.

When diagnosed this Fall with Fibromyalgia, the rx changed to Flexerill to relieve FM pain at night. It helps with relaxing the muscles; but I don't sleep as sound as I did with the Restoril. Unfortunately, it's either one or the other but not both. I elect the Flexerill due to night spasms and pain.

I would talk to your GP or rheumy and see if they can prescribe something in order for you to sleep. I don't know if this info helps.

Take care,

Faith 8)

Saysusie
01-02-2008, 09:04 AM
It has been found that many prescription drugs can cause lupus-like symptoms, especially skin symptoms. The most common drugs causing these symptoms were found to be hypertension medications, including hydrochlorothiazide, angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitors, and calcium-channel blockers. However, about 40 drugs in current use have been linked with the onset of lupus.
Also, many herb supplements have been known to cause and/or worsen Lupus symptoms. Melatonin is an herbal supplement. It has been suggested that people with auto-immune disorders (like Lupus and RA) not take melatonin. It has been found that melatonin can actually worsen our and can cause the symptoms of depression to worsen also, instead of making them better. Also, if you take corticosteroids for anti-inflammatory or immune suppressive purposes, it it suggested that you avoid melatonin.
Like Faith, I also have Fibromyalgia and so I take Flexiril. However, it puts me to sleep like a baby :lol:
Talk with your doctor about what works best for you. You may have to try several things before you find one that works best.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Gabrielwriter
01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Faith and Saysusie,
Thanks for the info, I was just wanting to get additional input from the group regarding my findings. You can't always trust every study, so wanted to make sure it wasn't a single thing that I based it on. I have taken Flexeril in the past and it puts me to sleep as well :!: Now that my dose of steroids is being tapered, I am not having trouble sleeping!! Thanks again to the both of you.