PDA

View Full Version : Walking Aids?

Numpty
12-29-2007, 05:02 PM
I wasnít sure of the best place to put this so decided here was as good a place as any!

Over the festive period Iíve had a few days where the pain in the inside of my right knee has been so bad that Iíve been having trouble walking. I actually walk like a zombie to compensate.

Its not so bad if Iím out in a shop that has trolleys (carts) because I can use them to take the weight but not all shops have them!

My question is, do any of you use a walking aid of any kind?

Iím not sure if it would be overkill to get some form of stick to take with me to places like work or shopping etc just in case one of my joints (usually my hips, knees or general pelvic area) decides to act up. Sometimes it only lasts for a few hours but those few hours are a nightmare if Iím trying to get anywhere or do anything productive. I'm not sure if I'm also sure that I should and just a little bit worried about what other people will think of me if I do!

So, overkill or no?

(And thanks everyone for taking time out to be my sounding board, it really means a lot and even though Iím still undiagnosed coming here each day is like meeting up with old friends - even though Iím new here! 8) )

dlavietes
12-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Before my cane became my best friend, I used to think it was very much like giving in. Felt stupid for using one at age 47. But since it has helped me so much. I always carry one in my car. I actually have one my mothers car also. I'm not even caring what other people are thinking, because Who are they to judge me! Noone. Anyway, do what helps you. I do!
!

Take care- 8)

Diana

mnjodette
12-30-2007, 03:24 AM
Diana is right, Numpty. Do what works for you. I have a neuropathy in my right leg that's been very, very bad at times. My neurologist got a handicapped parking permit for me. I also bought a cane. I really needed both last year. I'm better now, so have let the permit expire, but I still have the cane and will use it when I need to. I was shopping with my sister in a little town north of here (busy little tourist town) and she got a kick out of how all the cars would stop to let us cross the street as long as I had my cane!! :lol: So, there are some advantages! Hope you find your comfort level with these changes in your life.

Jody

magistramarla
12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
I've been involved in this same discussion on the ataxia BB - to use a cane or not to use a cane? Mine is definitely my best friend now. My doctors told me that I should use it when walking in the hall at school with teenagers. It sure helps to get them to respect the staggering old teacher in the hall, and it's just plain fun to threaten a few with a "caning". Actually, my students are very protective of me and chastise me if I wander out into the hall without it, and one of them always runs to my room to get it for me.
I've become more and more dependent upon it in the last several months. Like you, I never know when my knees or hips are going to "give out" and just pull me down to the ground. The cane has literally saved my rear many times. Because of the ataxia, I stagger like a drunk even when I'm stone cold sober. Using the cane helps others to understand that the staggering comes from a medical condition, not from starting to drink too early in the day! :roll:
Marla

hatlady
12-30-2007, 03:57 PM
My SO uses a walker now - she has MS. For quite a while she resisted - when she finally tried it she found it gave her so much more freedom. It is her best friend. She has one that has big wheels, handbrakes, and a nice seat for when she gets fatigued.

I've used a cane from time to time if my knees are bothering me, the funniest thing about that? I get more people opening doors for me! I smile and graciously say thanks, all the time laughing inside - chivalry is NOT dead! :wink:

I have a cane that folds up and fits into a little bag - when I need it, I can extend it to the normal height for me.

dlavietes
12-31-2007, 01:44 AM
I was going to mention the fold out cane. Now that's a cane! Pretty cool. 8)

Diana

magistramarla
12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
My favorite cane is a folding one which once belonged to my father. It is great for traveling, since it folds up neatly and fits under the seat in an airplane. My other favorite is one which once belonged to my mother-in-law. The handle is a VERY impressive carved lion. I use it with formal wear when I chaperone the prom. It REALLY impresses the teenagers.
Marla

Numpty
12-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Thank you for all the input! Does anyone know if these can be ordered online?

hatlady
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Numpty,

I love "Google." Since I noticed that you are in Scotland, I put in -- walking cane Scotland -- and I got this link

http://www.stonesofscotland.co.uk/

I believe that's in your home town?! The "stick and cane shop" listed there has the folding canes. If I'm doing the math correctly, they're about the same price I paid in the USA.