PDA

View Full Version : Use of Overhead Projectors

tintin28
12-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new--and have a tiny question. I remember reading that some of you teaches so hopefully you can tell me your experience with overhead projectors.

I use a lot of transparencies in my lectures and this means standing in front of the overhead projectors for a full hour. These things are bright--and most are lit with Halogen. I wonder if anyone takes precautions with these--or whether you had any effects from your classes?

Tintin

magistramarla
12-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Wow, I hadn't given a thought to that, and I use the overhead quite a bit, also! Here's an idea, though - do you have a digital projector? I'm slowly switching my materials to use on the digital projector. Now I may do it even faster!
Marla

hatlady
12-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm not a teacher, but I play one from time to time (I'm in Human Resources and do some training)

I've switched to powerpoint - that way I'm not staring into the light and heat of an overhead. I'd never thought of it before you mentioned it, but I remember how the light from overheads always bothered me when I had to use them - and that was before I was diagnosed!

I know you don't get the same flexibility of writing on the screen with powerpoint - but you can always use flipcharts (with sticky-note backing, they're great!) or whiteboard/blaciboards.

Welcome to our group, Tintin!

tintin28
12-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for your response~!

Yes--document camera has been tested but for some reason, the frame rate for these cameras are quite low--and we get "blurring" when we move things too fast on the screen...we actually had students with motion sickness after the class (~!!). Another problem is that I use powerpoint at the same time as the overhead--and my university only installed one projector per lecture hall....

It is good to hear that I am not the only one with funny problems using the overhead. I remember my face going all red after a lecture--but I wasn't sure if this was the stress was the light...

I am thinking of getting some filter off cuts from people who do uv tinting--put these under my transparencies when I lecture. Maybe this would work....

magistramarla
12-31-2007, 12:29 PM
The SmartBoard is another great solution!
Marla