PDA

View Full Version : Lupus Nephritis and Prednisone

KCsMOM
12-24-2007, 08:58 PM
My 11 year old son has been taking Prednisone for lupus nephritis since he was diagnosed 6 months ago. We would like to hear from others with lupus nephritis who took prednisone about how long they were on it and at what dosage they were able to get back to their normal weight. Did you have to be completely off the medication before you were back to your normal weight? He has been exercising and eating very healthy. I know that everyone is different but my son's labs have been consistently improving since starting prednisone and he is curious about how long other people had to stay on it. He is also taking Cellcept and is slowly having the Prednisone tapered. Any input is appreciated.

Morpheus
12-26-2007, 03:21 AM
Hi I've been diagnosed with lupus nephritis at the age of 15,
I was on 40mg prednisone per day, among others, I had the normal moon shaped face, eating alot and a steady weight gain.

However after my Dr decreased the dosage I gradually started losing all the extra flab.

So not to worry, keep him on his normal excercise and diet regime and after the prednisone starts decreasing he will notice a decrease in weight, and also, and i stand corrected, because he is in puberty stage the extra testosterone might help him even further.

All the best and hang in there. Remember he needs all the love and understanding he can get.

Missy
12-29-2007, 01:09 PM
I also was on Cellcept and Prednisone for Lupus Nephritis. I go tthe "moon face" when I was on 30 mg a day for several months, even when I was down to 20mg and 10mg. However, I actually lost almost 10% of my body weight on Prednisone, because I had a lower appetite. It did take me a bit after getting off the Prednisone to get back to my regular weight. I would say about 6 months. Not sure if this helps or not, but I'm glad to hear his labs are looking better.

Good luck,