PDA

View Full Version : lupus flare

cjc
12-17-2007, 02:35 PM
i am having my first full blown lupus flare, i have hurt for 3 days. my hands and feet are swollen, and everything else hurts or aches. any advice on getting through this, i feel like i want to either cry or scream. it is so bad right now my husband can't even give me a hug. please anybody out there who can help me? :cry:

Faith
12-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi cjc,

I am sorry you are having such an awful flare. Hang in there; I would suggest taking some liquid filled ibuprofen capsules. If that doesn't take the edge off, call your rheumy or gp. Explain the flare and all your symptoms and see what they suggest. Sometimes a Kenalog shot will do wonders, but you can only have them up to 4 times per year.

Maybe take a long hot soak in the tub and light some candles?? It might relax you a little. I hope this has helped. Keep us updated and, hang in there.

Take care,

Faith

Gisèle
12-17-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't have enough experience with this yet to offer any coping methods, but my advice would be to call your doctor/rheumy and ask for some type of medicine to help you through this.
I am so sorry you are in pain right now, hang in there!! HUGS to you!!

cjc
12-18-2007, 08:00 AM
thank you both for you caring comments. i will give my rheumy a call and see what they suggest. a good hot soak does sound good, i will give that a try too. it is so nice to know that i can come here and get a caring response from people that don't know me but know the disease. thanks again and i will keep you updated.

cjc

hatlady
12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Hope you're feeling a bit better now - yes, we are all here to support each other, and give gentle cyber-hugs when we can!

The long hot bath can work wonders - lots of bubbles is part of my "cure." Along with some soft music and candles.

Also - rest. find a place that is comfortable, warm and cozy - if that is bed, great. If that's a recliner or couch, that's great too. You need to pamper yourself a bit to get through this rough spot.

Let us know how you're doing -

mnjodette
12-18-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm so sorry you're having a rough time - it's so hard, isn't it? Just don't know what to expect next. Hatlady has wonderful advice...find a comfy place to rest; soak in a warm bath; do whatever you need to do to relax as much as you can. We've all been there (and probably will be again!) We're here for you, so stop by whenever you need a sympathetic ear.

Jody

cheryl_v
12-19-2007, 12:01 PM
A hot bath does work wonders. Elevating your feet to reduce swelling. Liquid gels do work good to take the edge off some, I keep a bottle evrywhere I go. Those shots do work for swelling, I get mine every 3 months. I still have pain, this just helps it be tolerable for me. Hope this helps, may your pain be gone by christmas. That's my wish for you and all others here. :smilecolros:

kkelly
12-22-2007, 06:46 PM
I am so sorry you are in pain. Mine has been worse lately also but I have discovered something that REALLY helps. Its basically a mattress heating pad. I bought it at Linens & Things (Martex brand) and I set it on high before I crawl into bed and its so soothing.....alot like the hot bath but you can fall asleep in the warmth...
All the best and hang in there, I hope things will turn around soon for you.
Karen