PDA

View Full Version : Need some help....first set of Lupus bloodwork

lupus_help
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this board and was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I have multiple lupus symptoms and recently went to a rheum. to be evaluated. Yesterday, I got my blood results back. The ANA was negative, but I had (and I'm going to slaughter this since I don't remember the exact names) a high C50 and also some type of elavated liver number that he said indicated inflamation (regular value should be .9, I was around 2.0). He suggested that I redo the blood work in three months.

1. What do these numbers mean? Is it odd to need to have the tests rerun?

2. Does it help to be in a flare when they do the blood work?

I'ts all very frustrating. Any input is appreciated. Thannks!!

__________________________________________________ ___________
Current symptoms: Hair loss, rash across face when in the sun, rash on chest, food sensativites, allergies to multiple medications, bloating, fatigure, joint and muscle pain.

Also have: PCOS, IC, low blood sugar.

Saysusie
12-13-2007, 02:42 PM
See my reply to your posts in "New Members". As an adjunct to that reply, the tests will be run many times throughout the course of your disease. The reason is because Lupus is a disease whose symptoms change, develop slowly, some go away and new ones appear. This is indicative of what we call the relapse/remission syndrome. Our disease goes through periods when the symptoms are mild and may go away entirely (remission). Then, we will have periods where our symptoms become worse and we are very ill or new symptoms suddenly appear (relapse/flare).
Many tests are repeated in order to monitor the activity of your disease, to see what medications should be prescribed and to determine if current medications should be adjusted. It makes no difference if you are in a flare or not when you have your blood work done. The doctors will determine the activity of your disease and all aspects as I referred to above by your lab results, regardless of a flare or not.
I hope that I've answered your questions. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Missy
12-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi there! I know all the blood work can be confusing at first. I've graduated to getting bloodwork every two months. This is great, since 4 years ago it was every 2 weeks! I make sure to get a dopy of all bloodwork mailed to me and I kep a spreadsheet so I can track changes myself. This has helped me get used to all the bloodwork and feel a part of my healthcare.

Good luck and best wishes to you!!