PDA

View Full Version : Depression?

cheryl_v
12-01-2007, 09:01 PM
I know depression can come on with no reason, and be tough to get through and take a lot of time to get over. My question is can depression come and go quickly as well, or would something like that be considered mood swings? I get severly sad for no reason, comes on quickly even if I was in a good mood. I don't care what's going on around me when I get like this, don't eat, sleep or care to do anything. Just want to sleep or cry or both. Then it just goes away, sometimes later the same day and sometimes up to a week later. What is going on? Depression or really bad mood swings? What could cause such a thing? I feel like a nut case. I don't want to call the doc again, nothing he can really do any ways. Please, can anyone tell me what all this means? Any enlightment, will this pass? Is it stress? Hope I'm not sounding pathetic, just don't like these feelings I have lately. I just want to make them go away. Thanks for listening.

mnjodette
12-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Cheryl, sometimes meds can cause some pretty wide mood swings, or depression. Are you on steroids? I've known some people to experience some pretty strong emotional reactions to prednisone. And, let's face it, having lupus could certainly cause depression. Talk to your doctor - I know it's just one more thing to deal with, but it's tough enough to take good care of yourself and cope with this disease without having your moods are all over the map. I hope you find some answers. Take good care of yourself!

Jody

cheryl_v
12-01-2007, 10:11 PM
No meds, just neproxin and cortosone shot. Doc not sure if lupus or not, waiting to see a new rhuemy. Just unsure of whats going on with myself. Thanks for your input.

Saysusie
12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
You mentioned that you are taking cortisone shots. Cortisone (like prednisone) is well known for causing mood swings. It can cause irritability also. So, do not think that there is something wrong with you...if you are diagnosed with Lupus, the disease itself can cause depression and mood swings!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
12-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I had no idea the shots could do that. I have been quite irritable and snippy lately. I've been on the shots since early June. This way I've been feeling has been for about only a month or two though. Just at a lost for the way I feel. I certainly understand what someone really means when they say "emotional roller coaster". I thought I knew before, but I really understand the statement now. That's the only way to describe how this feels. I just want off the ride, I don't know how to stop this roller coaster though. I don't like feeling like this :( . I miss the old quiet, but somewhat happy me. Maybe I should skip next shot and see if this all improves? I don't know, just afraid if I say something to doc then he'll just want to give me meds. I do like the doc I have, just despise having to take meds if I don't really need too. Sorry to keep going on about it all, but thanks for advice and info. I'll write this down too in my journal, maybe it'll help doc and new doc coming up on understanding this body of mine. Thanks again for the replies. :)

SonyaLA
12-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Have you considered your hormones?

I really hate it myself when someone sees me being grumpy, and mentions PMS, but truthfully... I think Lupus exaggerates those issues.

For me, it was not just a certain couple days of the months. As my estrogen levels fluctate, so would my mood.

When I was diagnosed, my doc took me right off the birth control pills. We recently tried Loestrin, (low estrogen BC). it's not working out either.

Sonya

cheryl_v
12-04-2007, 06:37 AM
How do you find out if its hormones? I would really like to get a handle on this while I'm thinking straight. Can the docs tell if its hormones or depression? If I get back in that mood, I won't care or bother with going to docs. I've even canceled app. that I've had to call back and reschedule later. Appoligizing of course for my behavior and the aggrivation I cause the secretaries. I'm driving myself crazy and making myself ill worring about these moods. I love kids, and I don't want my kids and my day-care kids to see me like this. I have called my mom though yesterday, she said she'll take over if needed. But what do I do? I can't keep living like this worring about moods and behaviors I "may" have. :?

Saysusie
12-04-2007, 09:23 AM
You are absolutely right....you cannot continue like this with excessive worry about moods or behavior that "might" happen. You are now causing yourself undue stress and PLEASE KNOW that stress is our WORSE ENEMY. Stress can cause your symptoms to worsen, stress can make your flare-ups last longer and can cause you to have more frequent flare-ups with a slower recovery time. On top of all that, stress exacerbates your mood swings!
You are putting yourself in a sort of "Vicious Cycle" worrying about moods swings and behavior, which causes stress, which worsens your symptoms and exacerbates your mood swings and behavior, which makes you worry about your mood swings and behavior, which causes more stress.........see what I mean?

Take a deep breath and know that you are loved by your family and those who are important to you. Because you are loved, your mood swings and behavior are understood! You are not judged or criticized for responding in ways that are not entirely within your ability to control. You are your biggest critic of your behavior and being so is perpetuating this vicious cyle that you find yourself in. If you feel that you've behaved inappropriately, just apologize by saying that you truly do not mean to hurt anyone or cause any disruption. Also, if you feel that your mood is changing or that you are irritable, let your loved-ones know that in advance and also let them know that these mood swings are the result of a combination of things.... medication, the disease, and possibly hormones.

I have always been a big advocate for taking care of our emotional health as well as our physical health. Mood swings and depression is a common symptoms of Lupus, because of the disease itself and its medications. It might be beneficial for you to seek counseling to help you to understand what is happening and to give you ammunition to control them (or at the very least, minimize their effects on you and your loved-ones).

The biggest mistake that you can make is to stop taking your medications and to stop keeping your doctor's appointments. Doing so could have very detrimental consequences on your health. If your medications need to be changed or eliminated, you must do so with the supervision of your doctor! You should never do this without your doctor's knowledge and/or approval.

I do hope that you are able to find some way to manage and not stress so about your mood swings etc. Seek help to guide you to that point. In the meantime, we are here to help you in any way that we can!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
12-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Saysusie, I know your right and I shouldn't fret over the "maybe" of having these moods. It's hard though, I'll just try not to think about it so much. I've been keeping busy as to not have the time to think. The doc app. I'm keeping, its just I find myself canceling them when in this mood. In the back of my mind I know I shouldn't do this, but at that moment I don't care. I'm better this week verses last week. My earliest doc app. is January, I'll see what doc says. Or should I call sooner? Haven't had new rhuemy app yet, so I know its no good to call her. I don't want to talk to family or hubby on this. Its like what SonyaLA said, everyone says it must be some extened PMS and they're sure it'll go away. Hormones could be the answer, but not always. I wounder what they would say if I was a guy with this problem? (no offense to you guys) Thanks again for your reply, as well as the others. I know I'm my worst critic and I shouldn't worry so much. I love it here, people actually listen to the words said not just the person talking. Does that make any since?

Oluwa
12-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Cheryl,

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't....Don't let the feelings of being nuts run away with you...you are not...there is a reason. Just keep focus on one thing while feeling like that, something easy that won't cause frustration, sewing, reading, ironing, painting, writing, making cookies something tedious that requires just you...... Or drag the TV into the bathroom and take a long soak.

Here I am....it is nice to be back...Ah..ah..ah.... stayin' alive, stayin' alive...Hey, I posted my whereabouts in Lauri's Lounge...

Now back to you, Cheryl V...depression, what an ugly word, eh? Fits the mood, eh..ugly feeling.

Ask your primary to check your hormone levels, estrogen, progesterone..for an accurate check they should be done at different times during your cycle.

If you think it is gynecological, is your cycle normal, average in length. Pre- ovulation length? Luteal phase (post ovulation) length? Any pain, possible cysts? All can create mood swings associate with abnormal levels of hormones....

I'd start a journal of your moods and the foods you eat...maybe some association there. Too much sugar, maybe? Wheat?

Me, my depression is from having this, this... chronic disease and all of the above..no cysts though. Literally to me. Lupus... it is a constant nag, reminding me how well I am not. Longing, missing....wanting, wishing, new pains, pains that stay. The pain tearing at my mental well being. Conscientiously aware or not it is always taunting in the background.

I remember when I had my first back surgery. I told my doctor I was depressed, she replied she would be surprise if I wasn't having such chronic pain.

I am also in perimenopause. That attributes to the 180 degree pendulum swing. Moments of crocodile tears, irritation.

My remedy for da blues...has been a pill...Cymbalta. It has been doing it for me. Prior, even before this last ugly period of being ill I would feel hopeless which triggered fear...I was down, I was up. I'd laugh, but yet felt inanimate. Weird. Since dosing with Cymbalta I feel normal. I don't get that weakening sick fear inside. I don't snap like turtle. I am coasting...feels nice.

It is hard trying to control and understand our emotions without being critical of ourselves. Sometimes we start worrying who we maybe hurting or wanting to just stay cooped up so our actions won't affect anyone.. Which only leads us down the path of more episodes or tears or irritability and isolation, loneliness and depression.

January is a long wait, can you get in to see a PA?

Do you take walks? Stretch? If not, try that too...till you can get in...

Now do a ballerina leap, a twirl..stretch to the sky and take a slow deep breath. Enjoy the linger of oxygen.

Try all avenues till you find one that has the scenery you enjoy..
Love,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
12-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks, you have lots of good points and ideas to consider. I'll try calling doc, just afraid I'll sound like a whinny child or babbling fool. I know I won't, just feel that way. Love the ballerina thing, brought a smile after a long bad evening. Thanks everyone, may we all get better. God bless you all.

cheryl_v
12-05-2007, 08:52 AM
My 16mth old (17mth Saturday) is finally trying to walk. Her screams from watching the other kids running around has worn on my nerves, and hers. I think this will be a stress reliever, even if it means she can get in more. My back and joints hurt severely from her weight (27 lbs), my nerves will hopefully relax some too. :P

Saysusie
12-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I am glad that she is finally starting to take her first steps. Perhaps chasing after her will not be as hard on you as lifting her :lol:
I'm glad that this has given you some relief! Hang in there! We are all here for you!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
12-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks, it has been easier on my body today and she's just smiling and happy. Glad she's not screaming with frustration now. :)

cheryl_v
12-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Thought I'd change my avatar, realized how depressing the old one looked. Maybe a new fresh one will help with my mood, at least worth a try :) .

Saysusie
12-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I noticed the change....I like it! :lol: :D

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
12-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks, me too. :)

Oluwa
12-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Love the avatar too.

Cheryl...How are you feeling mentally.

I want to let you know how wonderful the Cymbalta has been for me...but first what it felt like before it leveled out.

It was miserable from the first pill. Glazed eyes, pupils dilated like saucers. I looked like ET. Yawning from dawn to dawn. Woke up tired, went to sleep tired...muddle thinking, irritable, naps lasting 3 hours. Tears would flow but I felt nothing inside, not even an ugly cry. I thought depressing thoughts, but didn't feel the fear. I felt like rubber for weeks. Dubbed Gumpy. First started off on 30mg then when I started to feel good I had to increase it to 60 mg.

Well, all above became magnified...till one day. I woke up exhausted, in a fog took a two hour nap and it was like it was all past me. My thoughts became clear, I have a skip in my step. I feel like me, despite the physical uglies of Lupus or most recent my hurdle through what I believe in Lactose Intolerance. I feel great mentally.

I hope you find something that works for you.

A baby girl...lots of joy...
Love,
Oluwa

cheryl_v
12-17-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm glad you guys like it. I decided to find an Indian one since I am (half anyways, father was full-blooded).
Mentally I'm still a roller coaster. I've had a bad weekend that nearly broke my nerves. :x A long story, it would take to much space to vent. Trying to stay busy, as much as I can. The cold front is making it hard. I don't sleep much, 5-7hrs max a night. I can't remember the last time I had a nap. I feel as if I could drop like a hat. I wake up more tired than when I went to bed. Everyone picks at my "racoon eyes".
I like to read other post and try to be helpful if I can. It makes me feel better. Thanks for asking about me, eveyone on the boards are so sweet. Unfortunately my home support and understanding was short lived. Everyone's back to rolling their eyes and nagging for me to do it all. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. :)

cheryl_v
12-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have a good way to soothe a sore throat? My allergies a week and 1/2 ago caused a bad sore throat. Its been 10-11 days and driving me crazy. Any help? Between this and feeling down and out, I feel as if I'm losing my mind! :x Almost no voice at all now. :( Any suggestions?

Saysusie
12-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Try this site, it has lots of suggestions:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/sore_throat.html

Let me know if you need more :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
12-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Thank You, lots of good remedies to try. Hope one works.

cheryl_v
12-28-2007, 07:33 AM
As if I didn't have enough problems, now my front tooth broke at the gum line last night. :( I don't have dental Ins., hubby found a teaching clinic on-line in next county that has cheaper rates for students to do it. But its still $90 for first exam. Then you have to wait 2 mths for an assigned student, and then its $100 every visit until the bills paid off. Extra or course for partials, crowns, etc..... :( I can't afford that, because I also have to pay someone to come run the day-care for the day. Plus hubby has to take the day off to drive me since I don't drive (glad he has paid sick leave). I already don't like to leave the house much anyways, now I don't want to leave at all. Its embarressing :oops: . Everything seems to be getting worse: bone, joint, & muscle pain, sore throat, fatigue, can't sit or stand long, irritable, nausia, hair shedding, muscle weakness, can't sleep well, body stiff, hip pain, right foot feels as if being reshaped, headache, stiff neck & and weak teeth that has now broken off. Can it get any worse :mad: This has been just the past couple days, what next? A person can only take so much, my cane seems to need to come out next (although I'm sure it should have already, I'm too stubburn). :cry: Just venting, thanks for listening.

Saysusie
12-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm so sorry that all of these things seem to be happening to you back-to-back :?
Lupus patients have specific dental problems because of the disease process and the medications needed to control lupus symptoms. The culprits usually are: Direct Involvement of the Oral Cavity by Lesions and ulcers of Lupus,
Sjogren's Syndrome, and The Oral Effects of Medications.

We are more prone to develop gum disease, and Periodontal disease . Periodntal disease is a group of inflammatory conditions which affect the gums (gingiva) and the supporting bone around each tooth.

Here is an article I found concerning oral problems and Lupus:

Oral lesions not associated with active disease occur in up to 40% of people with lupus and are usually a result of a reaction to a drug being used to treat lupus or another condition. They have a non-characteristic coloring of red or white - or both red and white - and are painless.

Oral lesions associated with active disease are usually red ulcers surrounded by a white halo and white radiating lines. These are the more typical "discoid" lesions and are only seen in people with active disease, and you should tell your physician as soon as you notice them. These types of lesions, which may or may not be painful, most often occur inside the cheeks, on the hard palate (roof of the mouth), and on the lower lip.

It is essential that you see your dentist and have an oral soft tissue exam regularly. This type of exam takes no longer than three minutes, and you should insist on receiving it during your routine cleaning. This way, your dentist can check for any lesions you may not even be aware you have (particularly if they are painless). Because the only way to reliably determine the true nature of oral lesions is to examine them under a microscope, you should—as mentioned earlier—get biopsies done for any lesions that your dentist may find.

Oral lesions may respond to treatment with topical or intralesional steroids, but antimalarial drugs may be necessary to treat resistant lesions. The control of active systemic disease will usually aid in the control of oral lesions, as well.

II. Sjogren's Syndrome (SS)

Sjogren's Syndrome is a chronic, systemic autoimmune disease that targets the salivary glands (in the mouth) and lacrimal glands (in the eye). The involvement of these two glands results in dry mouth and dry eyes (sicca complex). There are two forms of SS:
the primary disease, which occurs when you experience dry eyes and a dry mouth
the secondary disease, which occurs when you experience dry eyes, a dry mouth, and another associated autoimmune disease.

People who have both lupus and SS tend to exhibit fewer systemic manifestations, particularly kidney involvement.

SS occurs in approximately 1-3% of the general population, but 20-30% of people with lupus. It is a multifaceted syndrome that is difficult to diagnose, and as a result, SS commonly remains either undiagnosed or is diagnosed years after the onset of symptoms. Early recognition is pivotal to prevent this delay in diagnosis, enable appropriate evaluation, and optimize therapeutic intervention. SS may precede lupus by many years; however, it most often occurs late in the course of lupus.

There are several laboratory findings that can detect SS:
Rheumatoid factor
Anti-nuclear antibodies
Hypergammaglobulinemia
Elevated ESR
Anti-Ro/ SSA and La/ SSB antibodies (60% of patients with SS)Â (These are antinuclear antibodies, each of which are directed against a different component of the cellular RNA. They are very common in SS and SLE but are also found in other autoimmune diseases.)

About one-third to one-half of people with SS will experience a painless enlargement of a major salivary gland, and this manifestation of the disease is usually bilateral (will occur on both sides). The destruction of the salivary glands by antibodies causes profound oral dryness (xerostomia), which is the most debilitating oral symptom. Loss of saliva results in the loss of the antibacterial and antifungal capacities of saliva. Saliva keeps the oral soft tissue moist and healthy, and buffers the oral environment, helping to neutralize acids that cause dental caries (cavities). Destruction of the salivary glands inhibits that buffering effect. This causes multiple consequences for oral health, such as susceptibility to caries (decay) and oral fungal infections.

A normal tongue is covered by numerous tiny bumps (papillae) - everyone has those - but be aware of any white, red, or otherwise discolored spots or lesions. Also, the incidence of a shiny, red tongue is abnormal. Another consequence of dry mouth is angular cheilitis, which is the occurrence of sores in the corners of your mouth. These sores are actually caused by a fungal infection and need to be treated with an anti-fungal medication (usually in the form of a topical cream). It is important to note that there can be several other causes of angular cheilitis, such as iron deficiency and over closure of the mouth due to the loss of teeth.

There are several diagnostic tests used to detect SS in individuals.

The presence of dry eyes can be determined by:
the Schermer test, which is an objective measurement of how many tears are produced
the Rose Bengal dye test, which is the administration of a dye on the conjunctiva (the mucous membrane lining the outside of the eye), to check for scarring

To test for dry mouth you can:
measure salivary flow rate (3cc or greater per five minutes is considered normal, and anything less usually indicates damage to salivary glands)
sialography, which consists of injecting a dye in your salivary gland followed by an x-ray that will show the appearance of a "branchless fruit tree" if there is destruction
take a biopsy of the salivary gland from the lower lip (Note: Dr. Freedman does not feel that the oral biopsy is always valid and does not suggest it for this purpose.)

SS cannot be cured, nor can the damage it causes be reversed, but it can be controlled. Dryness is treated symptomatically with sugar-free sialogogues (salivation stimulators like sugar-free gum or sucking candy), artificial saliva, and systematic pilocarpine or cevimeline, which are used to stimulate salivary flow. Treatment with systematic pilocarpine or cevimeline can have several side effects including sweating, urinary frequency, flushing, and gastrointestinal cramps. Additionally, topical antifungals are used to treat candidiasis.

Routine and preventative dental care and the use of fluoride treatments to prevent caries is crucial in people with SS; otherwise they may develop rampant decay requiring root canal therapy and crown placement on teeth. Patients who wear dentures may have difficulty keeping their dentures in place due to the poor suction caused by inadequate saliva. Dentures should be cleaned with 2% chlorhexidine (Peridex) and should not be worn overnight in order to prevent fungal infection. People with SS should try to avoid drugs that dry your mouth - such as anti-histamines, anti-depressants, and decongestants - when possible.

III. Oral Effects of Medications Used in the Treatment of Lupus

There are five common categories of drugs used to treat lupus:
NSAIDs and COX2 inhibitors
Antimalarial drugs—hydroxychloroquine or quinacrine
Corticosteroids—prednisone
Immunosuppressive drugs—azathioprine (Imuran), methotrexate, cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan), cyclosporine, mycophenolate mofetal (cellcept)
Rituximab (rituxan)

Each of these treatments has the potential to cause oral complications; therefore, such problems should not automatically be assumed to be a direct result of lupus. There are three main categories of reactions to drugs:
changes in pigment of the lining of the mouth
drug reaction to medication
opportunistic oral infection (affecting persons with a compromised immune system) secondary to effect of immunosuppressive medications

Alteration in pigmentation of the lining of the mouth is a common side effect of antimalarial drugs. It manifests itself as an increase in pigmentation, and its most commonly occurs on the palate.

The following drugs most commonly cause oral reaction: NSAIDs and COX-2 inhibitors, antimalarial drugs, calcium channel blockers, ACE inhibitors, cholesterol lowering agents, rituximab, and cyclosporine. These reactions to medication can be classified in four categories:

Erythema multiforme (also known as "Stevens-Johnson Syndrome") can occur as a reaction to any of the drugs listed above. This is a serious drug reaction, and experienced in a full-blown state can even be life-threatening. Stevens-Johnson Syndrome is an explosive disease, which can develop overnight. It reveals itself as crusting of the lips (usually symmetrical) and as painful ulcerations of the gums, lips, cheeks, tongue. Swollen glands, fever, and genital lesions may also occur. You should contact a doctor as soon as you realize you are having this reaction, or go straight to the emergency room.

Lichenoid drug reactions can be caused by NSAIDS, COX2-inhibitors, antimalarial drugs, calcium channel blockers, ACE inhibitors, or cholesterol lowering agents.

Drug induced gingival hyperplasia can be caused by cyclosporine and calcium channel blockers. Angioedema of the lip can be a secondary reaction to ACE-inhibitors. ACE-inhibitors are used to treat hypertension. This reaction can also be a result of anti-seizure medications and immunosuppressants (such as calcium channel blocker). It is important to note that you are more susceptible to gingival hyperplasia when your mouth is not clean; therefore, it is very important to have good oral hygiene.

Tongue swelling and lip swelling (angioedema) can be caused by rituximab and ACE- inhibitors. Swelling of the tongue is dangerous because it can compromise the airway, whereas swelling of the lip is rather common and not dangerous. Steroids can help moderate both of these reactions.

An opportunistic oral infection can express itself as a secondary effect of immunosuppressive medications (such as azathioprine, Cytoxan, methotrexate, and cyclosporine) and corticosteroids (such as prednisone). This secondary effect only occurs when the body's immune system is suppressed in such a way that usually harmless organisms cause problems. Anyone taking steroids is susceptible, and there are two ways in which this kind of infection can be expressed. Herpes simplex virus infection occurs in 80-90% of the general public. Most people are unaware that they are infected with Herpes, which is a lifetime infection. Secondary herpetic eruptions occur in 20% of those who have been infected and are most commonly seen as fever blisters, sun sores, etc. Candidiasis—a fungal infection—can develop secondary to dry mouth, diabetes, and dentures. You should see an oral pathologist (a specialist in dental and cavity diseases, i.e., not a regular dentist), internist, or dermatologist – as appropriate - to evaluate and treat these oral complications.

Concluding Remarks

In Dr. Freedman's opinion, preventive antibiotic medication before dental treatment to prevent bacterial endocarditis is essential, since approximately half the people with lupus have heart valve abnormalities. In this light, antibiotics should be taken before any dental treatment that can cause bleeding. This includes regular cleanings, scaling, periodontal procedures, dental implant placement, root canal treatment, and extractions.

Hope this has been a little helpful
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
12-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Thank You for all the info. I have been on NSAIDs for 5 yrs and the shots I take I forgot I was suppose to take calcium tabs daily. The shot depleats your calcium over time. So many things I seem to have with no answers, a permenent dx of something (ashmed :oops: to say) would make me feel so much better. Its been rough, I'm used to smiling and letting myself at least pretend to be happy. Now I don't even have that, I just can't smile and let everyone see. Too embarressed :oops: . I'm just going to see how much it cost to get dentures, all my teeth are showing signs of weakness. Weak teeth also does tend to run in the family. Thanks for listening and all the info, I think I'll read it again in the morning. Its a lot of good info for doc too. I try to keep him up on what I've read and learned. As always someone's here listening and it does help to just blurt it out, have a good cry, and try to move on to the next thing going on. On the up-side: New Years Day will be my 15th wedding anniversary. Going to take the whole family out for dinner. :) Hubby, me and 3 kids, wish me luck :shock: (LOL)

Saysusie
12-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Also, please know that dentists offer so many option for patients. For example, there is the option of veneers (which is not as expensive as dentures). Veneers are thin shells of porcelain or glass that can be bonded to the front surface of your teeth to make them look better. Sometimes doctors will need to shave off a thin layer of tooth to make room for the veneers. They are custom made in a laboratory and, so can be completed in a two-visit treatment.

Talk to your dentist about all of your options and I'm sure that there will be something satisfactory that will fit into your budget!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Thank You, that sounds better. I wrote it down and put it in my wallet so when I get a chance to discuss dental work, that will be the first thing to be mentioned.

Saysusie
01-03-2008, 12:42 PM
:BIG:

cheryl_v
01-03-2008, 06:13 PM
How you'd know I needed that? Thanks, it's been a rough week. My teeth have had looked a little bad for a while, but no money to fix. My mother-in-law actually told me she's glad it broke, now I have to go to a dentist. Some people are just rude and don't care for you're feelings :x . I see doc in morning, hope all goes well. I get my shot too :D.

luvwine2007
01-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Have you considered your hormones?

I really hate it myself when someone sees me being grumpy, and mentions PMS, but truthfully... I think Lupus exaggerates those issues.

For me, it was not just a certain couple days of the months. As my estrogen levels fluctate, so would my mood.

When I was diagnosed, my doc took me right off the birth control pills. We recently tried Loestrin, (low estrogen BC). it's not working out either.

Sonya

Why did they take you off the pills? Do they make lupus symptoms worse? My PMS has been worse then ever lately. My poor husband gets the brunt of it....

Saysusie
01-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Let us know how your appointment goes!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
01-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Hello, had my shot yesterday and I feel a lot like my old self. The first shot worked great, the last only a little. He said he added a med that would boost the effect and help it work faster on the second, but it made it take longer and not work as well. My first shot was a simple med, Normally takes a week to kick in, 24hrs for me though. Said these results were opposite of what should happen. I'm not reacting normally to meds, and simplest seem to work so easily. He said that will help him in the future to pay closer attention to my meds, and he's a little confused. Describe how I've been feeling, the journal with all written down. He loved the description on the bone pain I used (thanks to your words you helped me with). He said he could accually imagine it now. He said to get to my new Rhuemy and get started with her. He said he's pretty sure what I have, just wants to see what she comes up with first to see if its the same. He said he will tell me that it's a connective tissue disorder though, that he's sure of. That really doesn't narrow it down much, but incouraging. He got on to my hubby for stalling on my RA app. and not understanding the ups and downs of the pain. I feel better today, was able to clean my whole house by myself. The first month is always good, second not so bad, third it all comes back fast (the shot). Only down fall is he said it's not a long term soution of meds, we'll have to find something else eventually. For now, I'm happy and I'll take what I can get! :D

Saysusie
01-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I know what you mean by taking what you can get for now. Hopefully, while you are getting some relief and able to do some things, he and your rheumy can be working on a long-term solution that works for you (especially now that he knows that meds work differently for you and that he has to pay attention to that).
I am happy that you are feeling better :D I pray that you and your doctors are able to find that long-term solution!

I Wish You The Very Best!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
01-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Thank You, your so sweet :D .

cheryl_v
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Please help me with any advice you may have. I was doing good, but the anger and sadness is coming back strong. Tried anti-depressents, had side-effect of feeling bugs crawling on me. Gave up on trying new ones again, fear of that side-effect or worse. I need help on good quick stress relievers. I can feel my nerves shacking, anger building, wanting to scream at anyone I see. If I do, I feel as if I can't stop shouting and shamefully pleased :oops: . Then when that passes I feel so sad I want to cry. I feel like losing my mind, my hands shake so bad from frustration and nerves. I thought it was do to pain and my shot would help this. I did feel great after the shot, from the pain and nerves and sadness. The pain is still relieved quite well, but this roller coaster of feelings is starting again. All docs want to do is give meds. To top it off, I still have to choose a new rhuemy. There was a huge mix up with the one I had got, she was a pediactric rhuemy. No one knows how that mistake happened. Is this normal to keep feeling like this? Right now I feel kind of both ways, I want to cry and I can feel my blood boiling and nerves twitching and hands shaking. What do I do? I have my kids and these day-care kids, I'm trying so hard to smile and not let on. This frustration is driving me crazy. What do you guys do for quick fix for your moods? I feel so lost, no one here understands. Hubby just says "keep trying different meds until one works, and once you do all this pain and so called stress feeling will go away". He thinks there's a pill out there that will make everything go away and make me like the old me. I thought he had got past that point, guess not. :( Just venting a little here, had to gripe about hubby for a sec.

mnjodette
01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Cheryl, I'm sorry you're traveling that particular roller coaster of emotions. Sometimes there IS a 'magic pill' that works for a while - maybe a long while for some people. But not everyone is that lucky, and when a pill doesn't work you need to find that 'place' you can go to that will let you relax, pull back from whatever is stressing you, and give yourself room to breath. You're a busy mom and day care provider, so you aren't going to be able to leave your kids to 'regroup'. That means finding a way to do that inside. Some people use guided imagery or other psychological relaxation methods. Is there a pain management clinic your doctor can send you to? That will usually include some very good methods of managing the stress, depression, anger and other emotions that go along with pain - and they usually teach you how to do some of that without meds. Stress is hard on everyone, but it's particularly hard on someone with lupus, so it's important for us to learn how to manage it. Funny...we stress because we're sick, and we get sicker because we stress. No..not so funny... :?

cheryl_v
01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks, I hate feeling that way too. I don't know what I have yet, docs says deffinetly a connective tissue disorder though. I do find humor in your last comment though. I used to have so much patience, my mother said I was born with it. It's why I went into the day-care buisness. I think I said it earlier in this post somewhere, but this is freaking me out!! I'm usually the calm one that listens and helps others. This is not who I am, I can't help but wonder what is happening to me. Will I go back (and stay) the way I used to be? Thanks for the advice, it always seems to help me posting and pooring out my feelings here. I was so frazzled :x earlier I couldn't even think clearly. I forgot about meditation, and other relaxing technics I haven't done in years. Thanks for reminding me, reading your post made me remember. Sorry everyone for freaking out earlier, I didn't have anyone to talk too. This place really helps when venting is needed, and others around me are so sick of the complaining. I took a hot bath and it helped some. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

cheryl_v
01-24-2008, 07:33 AM
twitch......twitch......boiling :twisted: ........breath Cheryl, slow and deep (lol). Thought if I made fun of the way my nerves were making me feel, it might help. Sorry if my weird humor is offending anyone. New tactic, trying to see the humor in everything and just have or make fun of it :D .

Oluwa
01-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Now Close your eyes..
Breathe in deep through your mouth..
Now exhale slowly through your nose.

Even hum, like chanting while exhaling through your nose..that might help you to bring yourself to a calmer place, to find your spirit, your prided patience...it is still there. It never left.

I can relate. I don't have children to tend to, but I do have the emotions you describe. I get angry at the disease, the pain, feeling I am not in control of my health, frustrated. I boil, I fry inside. Times even stubbing my toe or not being able to open a jar can send me into orbit...

When faced with a disease, change is abruptly taking place, without one, change is always taking place but at a gradual pace. A pace we can tolerate. We will never be who were yesterday, last year..with or without it. We hunger for the "easier" days and in 5 years time, we will hunger for today..perhaps.

And if all fails when feeling enrage, go to a room tear it apart, cry and put it back together gain...

Or count to 10 if still upset count to 100...

Or, I slip a scored Xanax, half under my tongue when all fails. If you have a presciption for it, half it all the time and see how you feel. And be aware what other pills you are dosing with too. Could create a bad cocktail....

Freak out anytime, no apology needed...it brings sanity back to our lives....

All that pressure got you down
Has your head spinning all around
Feel the rhythm, check the ride
Come on along and have a real good time
Like the days of stopping at the Savoy
Now we freak, oh what a joy
Just come on down, two fifty four
Find a spot out on the floor

Aaahh Freak out!
Le Freak, C'est Chic
Freak out!

A happy feel good day for you, Cheryl..hugs
Oluwa

cheryl_v
01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
:) Thank You my dear, those are some good ideas. Thanks as well for letting me know that others have the same feelings. I don't like it, but at least I feel better having a plan of action to help deal with it. Meditation at night helps, just neededd something faster for during the day. I turned the radio up and got the kids dancing, they're loving it and I love music so its helping me too. Simmering down to a low boil now, hopefully I can turn back into a cold pot of water (lol). :)

Saysusie
01-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Dancing with the kids sounds like a good idea. If you have the strength, I would continue to "Freak-Out" with music and the kids (as Oluwa suggested). I think that most of us have been on the emotional roller-coaster. Especially, again as Oluwa said, when our inability to open up a can or a jar sends us into a blind rage :mad:
When your emotions are building up to an explosive state, sometimes the only thing that you can do is let the pressure out. Myself, I exercise until I sweat (be it dancing to the radio, doing aerobics, swimming {I love swimming, I can pound the water with my fists and no one thinks I'm being strange} or kickboxing). I have even taken my granddaughter's big ball and just gone outside to bounce it around as hard as I can (bouncing and chasing that ball is great exercise)!
Afterwards, I am spent and it is then that I take my valium or paxil or xanax. Most of the time, I wake up feeling better!
Hopefully you will get some more suggestions. Just remember, you can ALWAYS come here to vent....we are here to help you!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
01-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for your ideas and support everyone. For mnjodette, thanks again for your ideas that reminded me of medtation. That has helped ease me into sleep at night :sleeping: . For Oluwa, your ideas are good and your humor is so refreshing. I tried the humming thing today when I started to get frustrated, it really helped :shock: . Saysusie, I feel so foolish for always being forgetful. I forgot exercise is a good way to relieve stress, its how I quit smoking a couple years ago. I used my tredmill (a lot!!) every time my nerves went frazzled from withdraws. It helped so much, it was my final time of "quiting" for good. I can't always use it with the kids around, or the exercise bike I now have too. But the dancing was fun, and we live on a dirt road I take my kids walking on, why not the others too. I think I'll take all the kids walking tomorrow for some fresh air. Once again its nice to know others get that dreadful boiling, blow your top feel. I really was freaking out wondering what was happening to me :changes: . I hope I get to come tomorrow with good reports of a good day, may there be no twitch.. twitch...aaaaahhhhhh(lol). Good night, sweet and painless sleep everyone. :angel:

Saysusie
01-25-2008, 10:54 AM
So, how is your day so far? I hope that it has been one that you can enjoy. Taking the kids for a walk sounds great, perhaps you can have them search for pretty stones that they can paint or draw faces on when you return from your walk.

Hoping All Is Well!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
01-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey, friday was much better. Thanks for asking. We blared the radio again, forgot how much I love loud music (even if I'm in my 30's). The walk was a challange, not pain wise because that was going well. My kids and I loved it, the day-care kids whined almost the whole time. They want to sit on the tire swing, sit in the sandbox, sit and watch tv. Sit, sit, sit. The dancing they do, but after the walk I got to remembering they didn't last long. I wonder what they do at home, even if it's none of my business. These kids are not as energetic as mine. I allow tv mainly at night, like for them to go out and play. Invested lots of money in outdoor activities. These kids were whiny and saying things like " my mommy doesn't make me walk" or "why can't we sit and watch tv all day like mommy lets me". Aggrivatting yes, but on the upside me and my kids love it. We vowed to do it at least once a week, try for twice. Maybe bring a small radio for motivation. Well now that our refunds in, I need to try to pay off as many bills as I can before hubby spends it.

Saysusie
01-27-2008, 11:40 AM
I am so happy that you and your kids enjoyed it and that you vowed to continue at least once per week. If you can let the wining roll off of you, continue to make your day care kids exercise. Apparently they are not doing it at home and you are doing them a very big favor by making them exercise with you. Childhood obesity and sedintary lifestyle are an epidemic nowadays.
Like I suggested, try to find fun things for them to do on their walk or even make up songs so that they can sing as they walk. Have them do little races with prizes waiting for them when they return (you can probably tell that I was once an elementary school teacher!) Anyway, by doing so, you are doing good things for you and your mental health, good things for you and your children and good things for your day-care children. Keep at it..you are making a wonderful difference in quite a few lives (including yours).

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
01-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks, I love the ideas. I was trying to think of motivations. I know it sounds mean, but I'm glad I don't have that problem with my kids on doing activities. Funny how a good break down can clear your head sometimes. Helps when they're people here to give so many great tips to help. I have always said sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution, and its normally right under our noses without even noticing. Thanks for helping me notice everyone. My mood swings are still strong, but I feel more confident in handling them if I can be aware of the warnings. Now hubby trying to spend the refund faster than I can write out money for the bills is another story. :x (lol)

Linda From Australia
06-05-2011, 08:14 AM
I am bumping this to the top. There are some very good practical advice on how to cope with depression. Cheryl hasn't been online since September last year. I hope she is doing well

Peridot20_Gem
06-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Cheryl,

Like Linda i hope your fine in yourself and please get back to us.

I read you your post from what you'd put, the way you change in yourself so quickly i would'nt just say it's depression i'd say it was manic depression like myself and it's not very often you get a break or it stops off long enough plus it makes you like (Jekyll and hyde) with your personality.

I hope no MURDERS have been done yet.lol as i've not reached that far yet.

((Hugs Terri xxx))