PDA

View Full Version : Bells Palsy

mnjodette
11-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, I've had an interested couple of days. Woke up with numbness and tingling on the left side of my face. I ignored it most of the day but by evening, I suspected what was up. Called my rheumy and her nurse told me to go to the ER (my rheumy wasn't in the office; neither was my primary...the usual.) I know TIA and stroke are also possibilities when you have lupus, so I knew I had to have it checked out. ER doc ordered a brain MRI (can't wait to see my co-pay on that puppy) and it showed no TIA or stroke. My numbness is just sensory so far - no drooping face. But the doc said it could take a few days to show up and not to be surprised if I wake up tomorrow with some weird looking facial stuff. She said they'd treat it with steroids, normally, which I've already got covered with 10mg of prednisone. She was going to prescribe anti-virals, but was afraid to since I'm on so many drugs right now. So...just sent me home! Has anyone else here experienced this? Does it correct itself pretty fast?

sick n tired
11-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh mnjodette, I hope not.

I have constant tingling in both hands and sometimes my arms. I know that it is probably neurological, but am not sure what it is.

What is Tia? Being somewhat knew with my diagnosis, I have not heard of that one.

At any rate, I am praying that it is a weird anomily and nothing else.

In Him,

Karen

Pretti in Pink
12-01-2007, 03:55 PM
mnjodette,

I haven't had any expereience with it, just have heard about it. But I will be praying that all goes welll for you.

lornak
12-01-2007, 05:19 PM
sickNtired

A TIA is really a very small stroke. I have had many of them, unfortunetly. the last one that I had happened at work. I walked off the elvevator and took about 3 steps, and it felt like I got tackeld from behind by a line backer from the NFL. I just could no longer feel my legs. they only last a few minutes and the side effect ususally go away just as fast. my nuerologist told me it is your body telling you that yoiu better get it fixed or you are gonna have a major stoke. after mine, I was a bit goofy for a few days, I have had limps, arm did not work, headaches, blurred vision, but given time, it all went away. I am now on coumadin to thin my blood, but the fear is always there for me. "what if it does not work?" never had the tingling fingers or anything like that. sorry I cant help ya on that one.

Saysusie
12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Sometimes, we can suffer from shingles. We are more susceptible to infections because we have altered immune systems, and also because many of us are on treatment (steroids & cytotoxics) that suppresses our immune system function, leaving us more prone to infection.
The most common bacterial infections seen in lupus usually affects the respiratory tract and the urinary tract. However, septic arthritis, tuberculosis, salmonella, cold viruses, & shingles are also quite common in people with lupus.
The first sign of shingles is often a tingling feeling on the skin, itchiness or a stabbing pain. After several days, a rash can appear, beginning as a band or patch of raised dots on the side of the body and/or the face. It then develops into small, fluid-filled blisters which begin to dry out and crust over within a few days. When the rash is at its peak, symptoms can range from mild itching to extreme and intense pain. The rash and pain usually disappear within three to five weeks.
Most people who have shingles have only one episode with the disease in their lifetime. Unfortunately, hose of us with impaired immune systems may suffer repeated attacks of shingles.

Also, the tingling in your face may be facial neuropathy (acute or subacute facial weakness), especially of the facial nerve.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

mnjodette
12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Saysusie. I'm a little skeptical of the Bells Palsy diagnosis, since I don't have any 'droopy' face symptoms and I've never heard of anyone having it that didn't get the typical 'paralysis.' I had shingles once (shortly after I was put on Imuran.) Right now my facial symptoms appear to have abated, so I'm not sure what to think. Totally numb on the left side of my face on Friday; by Monday it's about gone. I just don't know. I was supposed to call my rheumatologist today for a follow up, but never got around to it. I'll do that tomorrow and get her take on it.

Saysusie
12-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Keep us posted as to your doctor's diagnosis and what he thinks the treatment should be! I do hope that you get some relief soon, I know this must be painful and frustrating!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

joakris
12-14-2007, 01:39 PM
I have had bells palsy and it was quite frightening! it came about at a very stressfull time in my life and lasted for about a month and a half! i had no feeling on my right side and complete paralyis ( cant spell) I was so scared that i would never get my face back and honestly being 21 i felt like this was the worst thing that could have ever happend to me! luckly after 2 steroid packs ( which was about a month of steroids ) my bells just seemed to disapear! i do see a differance in my face when i get really tired, and some of the feeling isnt all the way normal but its only obvious to me. If you had full recovery in just 2 days! I dont think you had bells palsy ( i may be wrong) its very emotional and frustrating. I did a lot of research and found out that bells palsy is a virus that effects your cerebral 7th nerve ( your facial nerve) usually only one side is affected. common things like trauma, obesity, herpes, pregnacy, being over 45, stress.. ect those all have supposedly beeen known to be common factors in bells, ( all of which i did not have ) hang in there and good luck. it gets better.

mnjodette
12-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I was doubtful of the diagnosis too...went away too quickly. Sure came on just like bells palsy, and I was very numb on the left side of my face. But, it was clearly something else. Just wish I had waited it out instead of going into the ER - $$$$ !!! But, you never know, do you?

browneyedgirl53
12-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi Jody,

Like Joakris, I've had Bell's Palsy...and it did last for a few months. It does seem to go away after a time, and it is scary when you have it and don't know what it is.

I hope that you're doing better by now, I would love to hear how you are.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

mnjodette
01-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks, Browneyedgirl. I'm fine now. Both the doctor and I doubt the bells palsy diagnosis, as it was just sensory ... numbness, no 'paralysis' or drooping (a little in the eye - but so minor it was hard to notice.) And, it went away in a few days. She suspects some other kind of nerve thing - perhaps even a kind of neuropathy. She said next time (if there IS a next time) she'd send me to an neurologist for a work-up, as it could be a sign of something else happening. That works for me - the ER and a brain MRI are not exactly a bargain. But, now I can say I truly had my head examined! lol:

joakris
01-02-2008, 07:54 AM
I have never known anyone to have had bells palsy like me.. weird i thought it was one of those weird things I got! =) among all these other new "things" :lol:

mnjodette, where do you live ?

Saysusie
01-02-2008, 08:29 AM
OMG!!!! Browneyedgirl is back!!!!

Hey girl.....you have been sorely missed! I am so happy to see your post. I haven't gotten to all of the forums yet, so I will ask something that you've probably answered elsewhere......How are you? I hope you have not been ill. Let us know how you are doing. How were your holidays? Filled wit Love I hope!

Welcome Home :lol:
Saysusie

cryssyjojo
03-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I have actually had bell's palsy 2 maybe 3 times , when I was 15 lasted for about 3 weeks no damage, then again when I was 24 lasted for a couple months and left some nerve damage ( when I smile I blink , and when I blink the side of my mouth jerks up ) it's very cute. And the 3rd possible time was in 2006 when I started getting symptoms of SLE my LT side went numb again this time only for about 1week but still my LT eye doesn't blink normaly. But hey I guess I'm still cute that is what my husband says.

mnjodette
03-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Wow...I didn't know you could get it more than once, Cryssyjojo. Nice that your husband says you're still cute - I'll bet you are, too!