PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with keratitis?

chonea
11-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I went to an opthamologist this morning for eye problems and came away with a diagnosis of severe Superficial Punctate Keratitis with dryness, and a Rx of steroid drops and wetting drops. Anyone else deal with this? I suspect it is autoimmune but the dr. thought only the dryness was autoimmune. He seemed a bit perplexed though. My vision is quite affected right now so I'm hoping the drops will work quickly.

Carolyn

Saysusie
12-03-2007, 05:41 PM
keratitis (keratoendotheliitis), is a rare ocular manifestation of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). It is also seen in patients with Discoidal Lupus Erythematosus. The development of keratits, scleritis and of retinal vasculitis occurs more often in patients with increased systemic disease activity of Lupus.

In superficial punctate keratitis, the eyes are generally painful, watery, sensitive to bright light, and bloodshot, and vision may be slightly blurred. Often there will be a burning, gritty feeling or a feeling as if a foreign object is trapped in the eye. On inspection with a slit lamp, tiny lumps can be found on the cornea of the eye. These lumps can be more easily seen after applying fluorescein or rose bengal dye eye-drops. The lumps appear to be randomly positioned on the cornea and they may appear and disappear over a period of time (with or without treatment).
TSPK may affect one or both eyes. When both eyes are affected, the tiny lumps found on the cornea may differ in number between eyes. The severity of the symptoms often vary during the course of the disease. The disease may appear to go into remission, only to later reappear after months or years.

The initial treatment consists of the use of artificial tears for lubrication and low-potency topical steroids such as fluoromethalone. Some doctors have placed therapeutic bandage contact lenses in certain cases, normally in an effort to avoid the long-term complications from topical steroids in patients with chronic disease. More recent steroid-sparing treatment include the use of topical cyclosporin A 2% as well as PRK laser eye surgery.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

chonea
12-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'm on day 6 of steroid drops and my vision is not improving yet. However, when I look in the mirror my eyes look clearer and brighter.

I haven't seen a reumy yet because when my PCP ran a SLE panel several months ago the only thing that tested abnormal were my ANA. (She seemed to feel this ruled out lupus for now but I have read otherwise, since I have other symptoms.) I'm thinking about calling her back and asking for a referall...but the other part of me doesn't want to go that route yet because of time, money, and not wanting to be on a Rx that would conflict with breastfeeding my baby. Of course, on the other hand I don't want to risk organ damage.

Are there signs I might look for that would tell my lupus may be serious enough to take further action?

Thanks!

Saysusie
12-04-2007, 05:34 PM
The most important signs to look for are indications that your organs may be damaged due to lupus. Some signs are shortness and/or pain upon taking a breath (lungs) and pain in the chest area with or without taking a breath (the heart). Kidney damage is usually discovered upon lab results (protein leak in the urine).

Other Lupus symptoms may indicate that your lupus is active and in need of medication. Refer to the list of Lupus symptoms (below) to gauge weather or not you feel that the symptoms need a doctor's attention. Remember, symptoms of lupus can range from mild to severe and may come and go over time:

Common Symptoms of Lupus -

Painful or swollen joints and muscle pain
Unexplained fever
Red rashes, most commonly on the face
Chest pain upon deep breathing
Unusual loss of hair
Pale or purple fingers or toes from cold or stress (Raynaud's phenomenon)
Sensitivity to the sun
Swelling (edema) in legs or around eyes
Mouth ulcers
Swollen glands
Extreme fatigue

Other symptoms of lupus include chest pain, hair loss, anemia (a decrease in red blood cells), mouth ulcers, and pale or purple fingers and toes from cold and stress. Some people also experience headaches, dizziness, depression, confusion, or seizures. New symptoms may continue to appear years after you are initially diagnosed, and different symptoms can occur at different times during the course of you life with Lupus. In some people with lupus, only one system of the body, such as the skin or joints, is affected. Other people experience symptoms in many parts of their body. Just how seriously a body system is affected varies from person to person.

I hope that this has been helpful. Please let us know if you need anything further!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie