PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

concerned1
11-22-2007, 10:53 AM
My fiance was diagnosed with Lupus and she doesn't have insurance. I heard from multiple people that getting insurance after a diagnosis is all but impossible. Is this true? It makes sense so i'm guessing it's true.. and with the immense cost of tests and check-ups looming over our head, It's quite discouraging.. :(

Saysusie
11-23-2007, 03:14 PM
I've heard the same thing, although I cannot tell you if it is true or not. I've also heard that when you are able to get insurance after a diagnosis of a chronic disease, the premiums are outrageous and when you need to use the insurance, they deny half of the claims.
Perhaps someone else will have some positive information for you about this. I hope you are able to find reasonable insurance for her!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

concerned1
11-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks :) I actually found some information on this that i want to share with everyone, in case they're ever in the same position as me.

My state (Georgia) has a state-sponsored insurance called "State of Georgia Health Insurance Assignment System". From what I understand so far, If you get rejected for normal insurance, you can apply for that. Everyone gets accepted. The premiums are slightly higher but it's still worth it, especially in case of Lupus since cost of check-ups and tests can run really high. I'll keep everyone posted on this. If anyone ever faces a similar situation, definitely do a bit of research to see if they offer a state-sponsored insurance.

I also heard that people with Lupus can apply for SSI, which is Federal assistance and provides income and medical coverage for life, but this is a lengthy process and can take up to 3 years. It requires a disability lawyer who handles the case for "free" and collects 25% of the initial "lump sum" check if the person wins their case, which they do.