PDA

View Full Version : I just have to ask about this..very strange

aggscott
11-14-2007, 05:21 PM
I was helping my husband fold clothes when I was struck with chest pains but behind or under my left breast. I walked around a bit and just held it and it let up a bit but, the yucky thing was my left arm started to hurt..the only way I can describe it is it felt like I had a tight jacket on and it was cutting off the circulation in my arm-does that make any sense? I still have it now but it's going away a bit now..--any ideas about the arm pain? I don't want to call the doctor if I don't have to..I'm not sure..

Aggie

mnjodette
11-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh, Aggie, DO call the doctor - or better yet, go to your local urgent care or emergency room. You must never take chances with chest pain. It's probably not your heart, but unless you're willing to stake your life on that assumption, it's better to err on the side of caution. Good luck - and DO let us know how you're doing.

aggscott
11-15-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the reply! It means alot to see that people do care..

Well, I didn't call anyone last night, I went to bed and just rested. I woke up a few times and it felt better. When i would move or sit up then it would hurt again which makes me think I pulled a muscle. How, I have no idea but it's so strange...
For the insurance we have you can call a nurse, they are on call 24 hours a day and they will help you decide if you should go to the ER, it's really very cool cause that could save you a lot of money on Co-Pays and such. I am going to take a break after getting the kids off to school and then sit down and call them. They will let me know what I should do-I wish I had thought about them last night-my mind I swear is shot-

Other than the arm pain does that sound like Pleurisy? I just saw the doctor last week and she asked about chest pain. I told her that I didn't think to much about the ones I did have, they were quick and then went away quick-she didn't say anymore about it.

Oh, one other thing-sorry- I just started Cellcept last Friday, you don't think it has anything to do with that do you? I just thought about that too..Also, I'm cutting back on my Prednisone as well-see there are so many different things this could be that it gets so confusing sometimes.. :roll: it's from 10mgs. to 7.5-then next week to 5 mgs.

I'll be back to post later after I call the Nurses'--thanks again!

Aggie

mnjodette
11-16-2007, 09:06 AM
I have a lot of chest pain, too, Aggie. Have a history of pericarditis and pleurisy. Yes, it does sound some like pleurisy. I've also had some pretty nasty arm pain with pericarditis - scared me half to death! Everybody who has lupus has such different symptoms, it's really hard to know what to think. I really hear you - so confusing! We have the nurse-on-line kind of thing with our insurance, too. I've never used it, but it's a great option to have when you're not sure what to do. I'm just starting cellcept, too. And, I've been tapering down on prednisone (at least until a flare set me back again.) It could have something to do with that, too. Have you had any other side effects from cellcept? I've had some stomach stuff, but not sure if that's the cause or not. I'd be curious to hear how you're doing on it.

Jody

aggscott
11-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi Jody-

So far, so good on the Cellcept. Ya know I saw that chest pain was a side effect on the paper they gave me at the doctor so that was in my mind too. Today is Friday and the pain is ok..If I breath deeply, it hurts but, not like it had the other night.
I'm going to bring it up to the doctor the next time i see her which won't be too much longer. She wants to see me every four weeks for now. I also keep a journal so I don't forget things, cause I will if given the chance!!

Aggie

NoodleMom
11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
i have that arm pain. It also feels numb to the point of holding anything in that hand is impossible. The numbing, humming and buzzing in my left arm and leg are very annoying. I have also had some rib pain.

I would definately talk to the doc.
Kasey

taurab22
11-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I too have the heart pain, when I went to the ER about a week ago they told me that you can have heart and lung pleurisy and that I was probably experiencing the heart pleurisy. Unfortunately, other than resting and propping myself up with pillows, nothing much seems to help. If you come up with anything additional I would be interested. I currently take Plaquenil & Prednisone for my treatment.

Taura

mnjodette
11-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I've always been under the impression that 'heart pleurisy' was actually pericarditis. I take colchicine for it. Apparently, using higher and higher doses of steroids for my recurrent pericarditis wasn't necessarily the best thing. There comes a point at which attempts at reducing the steroids triggers another attack of pericarditis (happened to me 7 times in 9 months last year.) I did my own research and then asked my rheumatologist to do the same; she sent me to Mayo Clinic to consult with doctors down there, and one of the cardiologists said that most research shows colchicine to be the treatment of choice for recurrent pericarditis. (He did say, though, that the research did not include people who had autoimmune-related pericarditis, so he wasn't certain the results would be the same.) Anyway, I'm still on colchicine, and am once again having bouts of pericarditis. Now on my third kind of immune suppressant medication - cellcept (in yet another effort to get off prednisone) but no luck so far. Also experiencing some pretty severe pleurisy. SO...long story short....I'm just not sure what will work for this stuff. Not very helpful, huh? :cry:

Jody

Saysusie
11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Aggscott;
Let's get back to mnjodette's first response..chest pain with numbness in the left arm can be a sign of a serious problem with your heart. Do not hesitate any longer, call your doctor immediately!
It could be pleurisy (which is an inflammation in the lining of the lung) or pericarditis (which is an inflammation in the lining of the heart), both of which are common to Lupus! However, it could be something even more serious! Contact your doctor immediately!! Do so and let us know what the prognosis is!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie