PDA

View Full Version : Way off subject. Question.

cheryl_v
11-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know how to coax a 16 mth old to walk? I have 3 kids, been day care provider for over 15 yrs and never had this much trouble. My youngest, my only little girl, will not walk. We finally conned her into taking a few steps holding our hands or onto furniture. Finally standing up alone, but quickly sits down again. Have got her a walking toy, takes one or two steps, then sits and pushes using her knees. I know some can be stubborn, but this is too much. Wasn't in a hurry for her to walk, but now to big to always carry. Just turning 16 mths, is 28 lbs and 32 inches tall. Any suggestions????? I would so love to see her walk, not to mention the relief on my back (lol :shock: ). Doc says she's fine, must be scared or just don't want too. See, told you way off subject. :lol:

Saysusie
11-08-2007, 12:03 PM
My youngest would have been 32 this year so I am not qualified to give you any suggestions :lol: However, I recall having this same discussion with my pediatrician when my son was late walking. His response was, "well, you don't really think that he's going to 30 years old and still crawling do you? Every baby has his/her own time schedule and you can rest assured that he will walk!" And, sure enough, one day he just decided that he wanted to give it a try and off he went. Then, it was months and months of chasing him around the house, pulling him out of things and wishing that he would just sit still for a moment :lol:
I hope you get some helpful answers to your questions. I wish you the best.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

cheryl_v
11-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your reply, I know I'll regret her walking. I learned my lesson with my first. To be truthful, its becoming extremely painful picking her up or carrying her around. I feel awful :oops: for admitting so, but thats mainly why I wish I could get her up and walking. Thanks for at least replying, I keep telling myself to be patient. She will one day up and walk, soon I hope (lol). :D

Saysusie
11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I can truly understand how difficult and painful it must be and you need not apologize for saying so. It is a fact and an area that you need help with.
There is a device called "The Walk Along" that assists in keeping the child's balance and preventing the adult from having to bend over when teaching the child to walk. Here is the website: http://www.thewalkolong.com.
There is another devise that looks even better than the walkalong, however, it is still patent pending!
There are also lots of sites on the web that give advise about how to get an infant up and walking. But, for giving you relief from lifting, it appears that the walkalong is the only thing going. It is available on amazon if you want to get a better price.

I wish you the very best!
Saysusie

cheryl_v
11-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks! Thats a neat device, I'm sure that would help. :D

Morpheus
11-12-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi this i guess is also todler related.
I have a little neice, that whenever she excites herself, she seems to tense her body, and grind her teeth, she will only be a year in January.

Does anyone have some advice for me? Ever seen this before?

cheryl_v
11-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Yes, I have. My little girl does that, not so much now. Its just her of expressing herself. Seeing what responses it gets hrills them. They will do it until a new way of expressing their selves comes along that gets a good response from people.

Hope this helps some. :)

Morpheus
11-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Thank you cheryl_v :)

cheryl_v
11-13-2007, 06:55 AM
no problem, any time.

larsncollin
11-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi Cheryl_v
My 1st was 18 months before he walked and then he just took off. We agonized over how to help him. He seemed scared to balance because he likes to be in control and couldn't handle falling backwards onto his bum. The day he took off was outside in our pasture. He loves being with our horses and was standing, holding onto my hands when I guess he decided he wanted to be closer to them and off he went! Uneven ground and all! The only advice I might have would be to make sure she has to work for things, toys and such, so that she is motivated to move around. Eventually she'll decide that walking is much quicker than crawling. Good luck! They are such a blessing and a joy to have!
Lars

cheryl_v
11-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Yes they are. My little one fell face forward when she first tried at 12 mth. She's scared to let go or walk with you. I'll have to be patient. The walk-a-long Saysusie mentioned is something me and hubby are considering. Even if she just up and starts walking before I get it, it still would be good for town trips and shopping. I like the design, it can give her the freedom to roam without the ability to run off. Thanks for letting me know of your child, I never knew one who was 18 mth when finally walked. Like I said before, with all the kids I've watched over the years and mine, I've never seen a child take this long. 14 mths was the longest I've seen. With her hieght and wieght, I guess I was getting impatient. Looking forward to less pain on me and more enjoyment for the both of us. One day I'll look back and laugh saying I should have enjoyed it while it lasted, and not been in a hurry. :lol:

cheryl_v
12-05-2007, 08:46 AM
She's starting to walk. Slow unsteady steps here and there, but at least she's trying. She will be 17mths old Saturday, I hope its a steady pace by then. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, she hasn't fell yet. That's what always makes her stop trying. Thanks for your inputs. It will be a relief for me and her, she screams alot watching the other kids running around.

cheryl_v
12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
She's walking full-time, yeah!!! :D I know I'll regret that later though. :lol: But for now I'm thrilled, 17 mhs and finally walking every where. Thanks for listening.

Pretti in Pink
12-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Good for you and her. Now, it is exploration time for her. Watch out World here she comes!!!!!!!!!!!!