PDA

View Full Version : Just don't get it.

jgray71
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
My GP says he is sure I have Lupus as i have all the symptoms along with fibromyalgia. My ana came back today negative and now I feel like I really am crazy after being sick since 2003 and now still not knowing what is wrong. GP said he is still convinced it's Lupus and I don't see a rheumy until Nov 15th. Anyone else have neg ana's?

Saysusie
10-29-2007, 07:06 PM
It is quite possible to have Lupus with a negative ANA. When a person satisfies the criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus), but has a negative ANA, the condition is referred to as ANA-negative systemic lupus erythematosus. ANAs are negative in approximately 5% of patients with lupus. In these patients, frequently there are other antibody markers of lupus present, such as cardiolipin antibody, anti-smith antibody, DNA antibodies, and SS-A and SS-B antibodies.
The ANA is used to screen for lupus, not to diagnose it. Other tests for antibody to double-stranded DNA, Sm (Smith), Ro/SSA (Sjogren's syndrome A), La/SSB (Sjogren's syndrome B), and RNP (ribonucleoprotein) are usually performed to determine whether lupus is or is not present. It is possible to have a negative ANA but a positive specific antibody test. A diagnosis of a positive test for a specific antibody is more important than is a negative ANA test. Thus an "ANA-negative" person with strongly positive antibody to Sm would unequivocally have lupus. Because of this possibility, doctors usually simultaneously run tests for ANA, anti-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro/SSA, anti-La/SSB, and anti-RNP, as well as for other abnormalities relative to your specific condition. The doctor does not completely discard the diagnosis of Lupus if the ANA test is negative!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Gisèle
10-29-2007, 08:52 PM
It is possible, like Saysusie said, to have lupus but have your ANA negative.
I've read how people can feel sick, have the ANA negative, and then they feel well, then the ANA is positive. I've also read how people with lupus can have ANA negative one time, positive another, barely positive another time, negative again, etc. I read in The LUPUS Book, about a woman who ended up having lupus, but all of her blood tests kept coming back negative, but then her doctor did the false syphillis test on her and something else, and those came back positive.
I've also read that your ANA goes through flares, too. It can become postive, produce the symptoms, then go back to negative, and you end up having all these symptoms that the ANA caused when it was positive.
So, overall, do not let a doctor tell you that since your ANA is negative, it can't be lupus or any other autoimmune problem, because then he would be very wrong.