PDA

View Full Version : anyone on depakote for siezures?

angela
10-22-2007, 01:37 PM
hi there, hope everyone is doing well! i had a bad flare/relapse and have been the hospital for a long while, since mid september, and got home last week.

i was 4 months pregnant and did'nt know it :!: :!: :!: so it sent my lupus and everything else i have into super overdrive and my siezures, which we had gotten under control, kicked into high gear. so my neuro put me on depakote, with ativan immediately after each siezure.

so my question is if anyone is on it, how much are you taking (i'm on 1500mg/ one in am, and 2 before bedtime), and how long have you had to take it, and does it control your siezures?

thanks everyone, glad to be back, sorry that marycain is missing in action, prayers and hugs out to her and st. james.

be well :wink:

ladybugs mommy

Pretti in Pink
10-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Welcome back and sorry you had such a bad go at it for a while but glad you are doing better.

angela
10-22-2007, 09:19 PM
thanks pretty in pink! it's good to be back. i hope you've been well :wink:

Saysusie
10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi Angela :lol:
Welcome back. Congratulations on your pregnancy and I pray for a beautiful, healthy baby! I am so sorry that you were so sick :( But, I am glad that things are starting to be manageable.
We all miss Marycain and still have no idea why she chose to leave us. I, of course, am carrying guilt that I may have done or said something wrong. But, that's me, the "mommy-worrier" :roll:
Here is a bit of information about Depakote. You may already know this, but in case you didn't, I thought I'd provide it for you.

Depakote is available in three tablet strengths, which are administered orally. The recommended initial dose is 750 mg daily taken in divided doses. (The starting dose should be reduced in elderly patients.) Dosages usually begin low and may be increased by the doctor until you reach the point where the lowest dose produces the desired clinical effect. In clinical studies, patients have been found to respond to the effects of Depakote after just ten days of treatment.
Depakote should not be given to patients with liver disease of significant liver dysfunction to avoid liver failure. Pregnant women should not take
Depakote because of the possible harm it can cause the fetus.
Caution should be taken when Depakote is administered with other medications, including aspirin. Make sure that you report all other medications you are taking, both prescribed and over-the-counter.
Liver problems, which can be severe, may develop on Depakote, especially in the first six months of treatment. Problems with white blood cell count and blood platelets, which can also be severe, may also develop. Your doctor will order blood tests to monitor your liver function and blood cells.
Other common side effects are nausea, drowsiness, and dizziness; but these usually lessen or go away over time. Some adverse effects on skin and hair may also occur, including rash, hair loss, and itching.
Depakote is often added to a regimen of other antiepileptic drugs. Usually all necessary medications can be used with Depakote, but the dosages may need to be adjusted to achieve therapeutic levels.
Depakote inhibits certain liver enzymes and can cause the levels of Felbatol (felbamate), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Mysoline (primidone), and phenobarbital to increase markedly—in some cases, more than double. If you are taking phenobarbital with your Depakote, a rapid rise in phenobarbital levels can occur which can lead to extreme tiredness, slurred speech, and other signs of intoxication.

Depakote has more complex, variable, and less significant effects on Tegretol (carbamazepine), Zarontin (ethosuximide), Ativan (lorazepam), and Dilantin (phenytoin). Depakote inhibits epoxide hydrolase, thereby increasing levels of the epoxide metabolite of carbamazepine. It also can inhibit metabolism of Zarontin and Ativan, leading to higher levels of these medications. It can displace Dilantin from protein binding sites and slightly increase the free Dilantin level. In each case, side effects may increase slightly. Coagulation tests should be carefully checked if you are taking anticoagulants such as Coumadin (warfarin) begin taking Depakote.

Ativan is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines. Ativan affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety. Ativan should be used for only a short time. Do not take this medication for longer than 4 months without your doctor's advice as it may be habit-forming. Do not stop using Ativan suddenly without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely. Your symptoms may return when you stop using Ativan after using it over a long period of time. You may also have seizures or withdrawal symptoms when you stop using Ativan. Withdrawal symptoms may include tremor, sweating, muscle cramps, stomach pain, vomiting, unusual thoughts or behavior, and seizure (convulsions).

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
confusion, depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
hyperactivity, agitation, hostility; hallucinations; or feeling light-headed, fainting.

I hope that this has been helpful to you. Hopefully someone with personal experience will respond to your post.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

angela
10-24-2007, 09:09 AM
thanks as always saysusie! i'm sorry about marycain, andam sorry that you're lugging guilt about it around with you. i can totally relate regarding the guilt/mothering thing. i'm a financial/career coach focusing primarily on women/moms and i see that us girls have terminal cases of guilt and nurturing :shock: :lol: try not to hold on to it for too much longer if you can my dearest saysusie.

and thanks also for your kind wishes regarding the pregnancy, however, the doctors had to end :cry: it because it was causing my body and it's systems to shut down - heart, lungs, kidneys, vasculitis, siezures. all hell was breaking loose and they thought i would'nt make it. however, i'm still here and am recvering nicely. just trying to get these siezures under control. i didn't know i was pregnant til i went to er for vomitting as ihad just had a round of cytoxan/rituxan and we forgot to give me the zofran iv before i left the infusion clinic, and thats what usually happens. so when it does, i go to the er for fluids and then they let me go home. but i was also coughing badly and he wanted to check my lungs and ribs as i have a history of cracking ribs when i cough :shock: . so he ordered an ultrasouond and that's how dear hubby and i found out.

the depakote seems to be working but i'm still having some siezures. they got worse during and after the pregnancy...

thanks again saysusie and be well :wink:

Saysusie
10-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Angela;
I am so sorry that you were not able to continue your pregnancy. My sweet daughter had to terminate one pregnancy and had a miscarriage after the second pregnancy for the exact same reasons as you. So, believe me, I understand how you are feeling and your mixed emotions right now! How is your husband dealing with it?
I am glad that you are starting to feel some positive effects with reference to the seizures and I hope that they are soon completely under control. Remember, we are here for you and I am keeping you and your husband in my prayers!
I am working hard at not taking on guilt for things that I may have had nothing at all to do with :? But, I suppose that will take a complete personality makeover for me (lol). But, thank you for understanding!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

angela
10-24-2007, 01:48 PM
if a complete personality makover means risking loosing my dear saysusie and fellow mommy to a ladybug, then absolutely not! i'll just have to help you carry some of that guilt :lol:

thanks for your prayers. hubby is doing better, he had a bit of a break thru over the weekend. he's just so angry about my health (why me, why us...), and angry with me because he things i'm pretending that i'm ok, like i'm faking that all is well and not really showing how i feel, the pain and etc. i told him that that's just my "game face". you know how it is saysusie. i just suck it up. no, i don't want to worry people and i do not want them feeling sorry for me. plus, i'm just very positive and optimistic! we had a really good talk and have come to a much better understanding.

eventhough he has his moments (he's still a man) and i want to take my cane and knock him less senseless, he's still a very good guy who's handling this as best as he can, which is pretty good most of the time :lol:

be well my friend!
http://princesstinybutt.blogspot.com/

Saysusie
10-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Angela;
I guess husbands are basically the same everywhere. Like you, I don't always like to talk about my aches and pains or my fears and depression at always being sick, always being in pain and.....always something new going wrong. So, I put on the brave face..say that "I'm Fine" and subsequently get into an argument when he finds out that all is not "fine". I have not yet found a smooth path on this arduous journey. So, I am watched like a hawk and everything that I do that he perceives as wrong or detrimental, I get a lecture and ordered off to bed or on to the couch :(
So, it's like #@!M@# if you do and #@!M@# if you don't!!! :lol:

No worries about the personality change, I don't forsee making any changes at all! It's too late and I'm too old (ROFLMAO!)

May you find peace in your day and be surrounded by blessings!
Saysusie

angela
10-29-2007, 12:02 AM
i'm lol!! are we married to brothers??!! same thing in my house. :lol: eventhough he's here with me and see's what i go through, he (of all people) still doesn't get it either. :? he also doesn't get when i'm doing better or have made some improvements. he's just too close to the situation. like you said, #@&^ if you do #$@* if you don't!

thanks saysusie, hope your feeling well :D

angela
http://princesstinybutt.blogspot.com/

Saysusie
10-29-2007, 07:26 PM
You are welcome and I hope you are having a blessed and peaceful day
:D :) :lol:

Saysusie