PDA

View Full Version : Driving aids

Morpheus
10-22-2007, 01:07 AM
Hi all,
My left shoulder seems to be all stiff and achy, starting from the neck down.
Friend of mine suggested it could be bad posture while driving.

Anyone perhaps know of any good driving aids I can use?

carlilescott
10-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I was in car sales for 15 years. Adjust your lumbar support to set up straighter. Try a pillow behind your back(small one). Adjust the seat back to set up straighter and if you gave a heighth adjustment, try raising the seat. The kid's and grandkids call it "layed back in the cut" when you drive leaning back.

carlilescott
10-22-2007, 09:19 AM
But to answer your question, in America there are several specialty shops that have driving aids. There are all kinds of gadgets out there to assist people while driving.

browneyedgirl53
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Hi Morpheus,

I agree 100 percent with CarlileScott, I had to make seat adjustments; and raising the seat made a HUGE difference for me. I'll share with you a trick my physical therapist had me practice....for whenever you think about it.

Sit up straight and imagine pushing your shoulder-blades together....it helps with upper back, lower neck....and also if you do a lot of computer work; that can contribute to bad posture!! Several times a day I stop and rotate my head with neck/shoulder rolls very helpful.

I hope that helps.....posture is everything! When I started practicing, I kept thinking "what a PIA"...but now I don't have the shoulder aches, the pinched nerve problems. and my lower back feels much much better.

Good luck, and if it is possible for your i nsurance, it might pay off to pay a visit with a physical therapist.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

hatlady
10-23-2007, 05:41 AM
I like CarlileScott's recommendations and browneyedgirl's exercise felt GREAT.

Another exercise I use from time to time if I've "computered' too long - and it might help after a driving trip. Sit in a chair with a low (mid-back) back to it. Like a kitchen chair. Drape your arms out and back, throw you head back as well. Kind of a reverse "swan dive" posture. Lean back over the edge of the chair and let your muscles relax a bit. Stretches open all those muscles that cramp up from leaning forward so long.