PDA

View Full Version : PAIN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

morning star
10-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone wakes up in the middle of the night with achiness and pain. If so are there any medications you can take to make it thru the night? I'm currently on Lortab 10mg and take them before I go to bed but it only last's about 4 hours. Sometimes I'll take a muscle relaxer but usually only on the weekend because I wake up so tired the next day. Thanks.

Oluwa
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Morning Star,

How are you? Still night awakening with aches? Where are they? All over?

I use to get those aches at every joint and muscle, but I think it was mainly having Lupus and not moving during the night? Do you move or se up like cement?

Maybe a little stretching before crawling into bed. I do that and it seems to help. Or a nice warm shower before crawling in...

I still had leg aches, and was prescribed Requib for that which I dose before going to bed. Stopped dosing for a few weeks, was pain free in the legs but it acts up now and then.

Praying you find your wellness,
Oluwa :sleeping:

Barbara Jean
11-07-2007, 05:23 AM
I take valerian drops in a glass of water before bed and it helps me sleep. I get the valerian from a health food store. It is a natural herb.

Yes, pain at night is so common with lupus. I have it too.

All the best.

Oluwa
03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Morning Star..

Months later still looking for you...How are things?

Wondering how you are...hope wellness has found its way to you...

Hugs,
Oluwa

morning star
03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi, I'm hanging in there, :P I'm still having those pains of waking up at night here and there, I'm going to ask my pain mgmt dr for Ultram ER it's supossed to last 24 hrs, hopefully that'll due to trick, I'm now on Imuran along with plaquenil and it's not kicked it yet been about 3 weeks was told it would take awile though. My Rheumie did give me a steroid shot which has helped tremendously with the chills I was having they are not near as bad. Well hope you are doing okay, Thanks for remembering me and asking about me :) Were do you live?

Oluwa
03-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Morning Star,

There you are..hugs.

I am sorry your pains haven't found something better to do. All over? Isolated? Plaquenil took a lot of my joint pain away. Thankful for that little pill.

As I recall mine started to kick in about 5 weeks..it was quick. I get aches still, but not an all day, all night, everyday of the week pain. If I over do it, like walking about, shopping...it comes back, just for a day up to oh, three days.

Did you know Restless Leg Syndrome can affect your body, arms too. Had that been suggested to you or had been prescribed anything like Requib? I took that for many months as I mentioned earlier..now my legs and arms don't have that deep inside muscle ache or jumpy to them....not even now and then. I don't dose with anymore..

What are your chills from....?

I live near Charleston, SC...a few miles from the city line...where are you?

It's the weekend, what is on your agenda?

Keep searching for your wellness.
Hugs,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
03-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Sorry to poke my nose in...but yes another shameless post on the wonders of polar fleece sheets.

I couldn't get warm at night to save my life. I dreaded going to bed till I got the polar fleece sheets...cut way down on my aches cause I wasn't shivering. :D

cryssyjojo
03-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Have you every tried these patches called flector patches they work great and last for 12 hrs, there better for you because they don't go into your blood stream just at the site of pain.

sits_inthe_corner
03-08-2008, 02:28 AM
cryssyjojo

Just a word of warning about those patches. K two words. Dont over use there is a chemical in those that will build up in your system.

And keep a close eye on the condistion of the skin on the site that you use the patch. If the skin starts to look flakey or peeling. Stop using the patch.

Over use of those can be very dangerous.

morning star
03-08-2008, 07:37 PM
The chills are from flaring from the lupus, I've been running a low grade fever but since I've got the steroid shot and my mom bought me an electric blanket which has been a life saver they are much better, I still keep a heating pad at my desk at work, I also have Livedo Reticularis which looks horrible when I'm cold. The plaquenil took care of most of my joint pain, but as far as muscle pain it did not. Lupus is weird because you never know what kind of day your going to have, sometime's I'll go 2- 3 days or so feeling okay then boom I feel bad for around 4-5 days, then back again. :shock: The Imuran has made my fatigue worse which the plaquenil actually helped, but maybe it'll get better since I've only been on it for about 4 weeks. When my aches kick in the get worse and worse until I finally have to take a pain pill, NSAIDS don't even touch the pain I've tried it. then when you wake up in the middle of the night cause your pain med has worn off, sure makes ya mad. Anyways, hopefully the Ultram ER will work I see my DR next week for that. I take Zonegran for my peripheral neuropathy, my nose has been going numb and tingly lately not sure what that's from, also had some migraine and chronic headaches that won't go away, I haven't had headaches since I start the Cymbalta I told my Rheumie they didn't seem to concerned? Well hope the weather finds you okay down in South Carolina. Here in Okla last weekend it was in the 70's now it's in the 30's again, but that's Okla for ya. Well hope your day finds you symptoms free.... :)

Oluwa
03-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Morning Star...

Oklahoma temp sounds like South Carolina..tonight supposed to get down to 29...was 70 the other day... I dragged my potted plants in. Need to get them into the ground so they won't freeze in the little dirt pots.

It is hard dealing with a myriad of symptoms. I think if it was just one, even two we could tolerate it better, but when like you ,you have the nose tingling, headaches, chills, joint pain...fatigue..it is enough to get mad and want to stay that way, which leads to potential depression, then Cymbalta. For me, it seems like my life...and all the baggage IT has me toting around, plus my back pain from failed surgery... wears my spirit down...thinking this is my normal...egads.

Cymbalta didn't work for me...altered me too much...

I have Ultracet which is Ultram, but not extended release...it makes me irritable. So, I dose when alone. I need to find a pain killer I can tolerate and I think I tried them all. I think Demerol was the best regarding not altering my mood. It gave me a headache though. Morphine gave me stomach aches...Percocet..itch all over. Vicodin, the side effects, long term scare me....

Enjoy your Sunday...hopefully soon you will have pain free nights...

Hugs,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
03-09-2008, 01:46 AM
I have fond memoriers of Demerol lol...too fond.

I cut myself off from it. I was becoming addicted. Couldn't tell any more if I wanted it for the pain relief or just wanted it.

I haven't found anything yet for painrelief. I'm afraid of becoming addicted. I do have a tendency to develop dependencey's on things.

So my best pain relief so far is the memory foam mattress, fleece sheets, a soak in the tub before bed and doing my physio excersizes and stretches. I tried one of those rub on anti inflamatory jells. That didn't work out well for me. Ate the skin right off me. Ick.

The last two days my legs have bees swelling badly...sigh...beginning of a flare...I just got out of one...not fair. whine sook sook whine...got some cheese? Is that a violin I hear...it sounds so small.

morning star
03-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Yep, it was back from the 30's yesterday to 74 today again, it's no wonder everyone is sick! I actually felt halfway good today since it was nice I went out and raked some leaves, it felt good to be outside, just hope I didn't overdo it and pay for it tomorrow. Well hope your day went okay. :)

morning star
03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Big mistake I overdid it yesterday I was up all night my arms hurt so bad, took 2 lortabs and still hurt. Guess I need to learn to pace myself! :(

cryssyjojo
03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the advice about the patches but I barley use them I have maybe use them twice in the past month.. But when the pain gets bad they work great. other wise I just use Motrin 800 thats my drug of choice.

Oluwa
03-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Morning Star...

Feeling better today? It is hard to pace oneself when one does nothing for days and this burst of energy soars through our veins...how can we not enjoy that day. To end a season by getting ready for the next....Spring is in the air...

Today it is called fun.
Tomorrow it is called abuse.

The fun, can be worth the moans, eh....

Hugs,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
03-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Oluwa

I agree....when ya finally do feel human again, it's very hard not to take advantage of it. Specially as it does not seem to matter if you take it easy or not. I've tried being good and it hasn't worked out so well lol.

Is that a pic of your baby?

Oluwa
03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, SITC..that would be my Pookie Monster..she will be 13 years old this summer. She is wider than she is tall...

If the avatar could only show her...her tongue is licking her face...

Is that your baby?

Slurp....
Oluwa

cryssyjojo
03-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I am still waiting to feel better. Sometimes the waiting gets hard. I have been trying to go back to work full time again but it sims like I work five days one week then i'm out the next week it just sucks.

sits_inthe_corner
03-11-2008, 03:36 PM
cryssyjojo

Sending ya soft hugs and wishes for relief.

I'm hoping this plaquenil kicks in...still no sign of improvement. I've been trying to up my iron levels. Doc says I'm running on the anemic side. That would explain why I've been so darned tired. Can hardly keep my eyes open or my head up.

At least the leg spasms have stopped.

With any luck spring will come early and with the warm weather a bit of relief.

sits_inthe_corner
03-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Oluwa

Yes that's my Hogan. He's 5 yrs old. I got him a few months after her royal nibs passes away at age 21. She'ld been with me so long I just couldn't see being with out feline.

At 13 yrs of age my lady was as big as your Pookie :lol: as the years wore on she got teenie tiney. By 21 she looked just like a kitten again :)

Oluwa
03-17-2008, 11:41 AM
SITC,

You mean my Pookie will shrink...I love her hard lard...

I tell my Pookie, she has to live forever. I love her so much I could just eat her.

How is life in Nova Scotia today?

Love,
Oluwa

Oluwa
03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Morning Star...

How are things in Oklahoma....still in repair and rest mode from the leaf raking...

Hope all is well....
Head hug,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Oluwa

Nova Scotia is cold and windy....did I mention cold. The wind is out of the north and my joints are not happy at all.

It's been so busy at work...I haven't had a chance to call and make an appointment with my doctor. Will try again tomorrow.

How are you feeling?

morning star
03-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi, the weather is cold and rainy today, I have an appt with my Rheumie today which I will mention the chronic headaches and migraines I'm kinda leaning toward APS since I also have the livedo rash, and she also enrolled me in a 3 part research program and one of them was for APS so I would kinda assume she may think that is possible, so we'll see what she says, still having the ol muscles aches along with it and fatigue, oh joy, my pain mgmt Dr did give me some ultram ER what a life saver, I can sleep all night without waking up in pain, so far so good, just hope I don't have a really bad bad night, but hey if I can sleep a few days most of the night that's great!!!, Hope your doing okay, Talk to ya soon,

Oluwa
03-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Gosh, days late again, Morning Star..

I had a minor mental break down and I am almost done with the repairs...new parts? Not yet...still working with what I have.

So, how did the appointment go over? Mine appointment is on the 2nd of April. APS? I hope not.

I am in need of some new pain pills, something. I think the Plaquenil has run its course and I am in need of something for pain and fatigue. If steroids is my only option, I will muddle through. I call them the scaryoids. I am not in the mood to blow up again physically. I already done that mentally last weekend. Ugh...

Nights been good since back on Ultram ER? Those endless, sleepless night wreaks such havoc...I am having about of them myself...

Maybe my doctor can hook me up next week...

Keep well....
Hugs,
Oluwa

morning star
03-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I had a horrible flare come up last week headaches/nausea/chills/shortness of breath/achiness/loss of appetite/weakness/ it was horrible :cry: I thought I may have to go to the ER my temp was 96.2(?) but I called my Dr. and she called me in some prednisone step pack, well by the time I went to get it I was so weak I though I might pass right out, I've never felt that bad before,but the pred worked, I'm better, but now, the aching is starting to come back again and I've had horrible muscle aches from the pred coming off it. The ultram has worked great so far, just have to keep taking it seems like. I sure hope this imuran kicks in. Well hope your having a pain free day. Take care....

Oluwa
03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Morning Star,

The Imuran kick in yet? Or is that a 5 week out drug...

Nope, no pain free day here...ugh. Riding it out, in bed, on the couch...walking about to keep things moving eating a Xanax.. One more week for the Rheuma...

Yea, what's up with IT and low temperatures. I think it has to do more with hormones than thyroid. Not menopause but an imbalance in them. I will bring it up with my new Rheuma on the 2nd and see what she has to say...

Keep well,
Hugs,
Oluwa

Oluwa
04-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Hellooo Morning Star...

How's goes life in Oklahoma? SC, bored out of my gourd. My husband lands tonight. Did a few doctor appointments this week.

Are you still flairing with the muscles aches? Has Imuran kicked in yet?

With the new medicine I feel somewhat dry, no personality. Muscle relaxers, pain pills, and sleep aids. Loratab, Flexeril and oh...hummm..saved me from the pain I was having. It wouldn't let up..my face cheeks were diaper rash....I was a mess..

Thinking of you, wondering where you are?

Hugs,
Oluwa

morning star
04-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi, well I had this pimple like spot come up on my leg so I thought it was and scratched it and it started swelling up that was 3 days ago it got fever in it really bad and appeared to be a fiddleback bite so by the time I got the Dr it was hurting so bad I could barely walk. They gave me some antibiotics for it, said it was a brown recluse bite and told me to keep a close eye on it since I'm on the Imuran. I was doing good for about 4 days prior to this with no aches and thought "Wonder if the Imuran is kicking in" then boom started aching again big time, boo hoo! but now I'm wondering if it's related to the spider bite and the Imuran really is starting to kick in. I'm hoping and praying the Imuran is starting to work that 4 days without any aches was sooooo amazing :D :D :D

Well hope your doing better, gotta go for now,

sits_inthe_corner
04-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Stupid spiders!

I mentioned somewhere that last spring I got bitten on the neck. I was getting in my car and I felt a twindge on my neck and a lump came up. I noticed that the car port was full of baby spiders hanging from their little web threads.

The lump stayed there for over a week....very hard and very lumpy, hot and itchy. I had a doctor's appointment a few days after the bite, so while I was there I told her about the lump. Course being a sick little doctor she poked it. I swear that woman is poke happy.

Any way it flares up now and then. Same lump in the same spot. I've showed it to my family doc and she thinks it could be lupus related and not a spider bite. But the rhuemy who has never actually seen the lump, just sits and stares at me with that blank look.

I cant waite to move on from her. I have these circular red veiny purple bruisey area's as well. There's one on my neck (which is embarrising cause it looks just like a hickey) and one on my left leg and two on my right leg.

The lighting is sooo bad in her office that I cant even see them. But in my family doctor's office they are quite visible.

mnjodette
04-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Ooooooo I HATE spiders....creep me out. We live in the country and have a lot of them. In fact the wolf spiders (yeah...they're hairy) are just coming out from under the snow now. Little harbingers of spring (!?!) Hey, I'd rather see robins...or daffodils!

Morningstar, I really hope Imuran does it for you. Having pain free days would be sooo sweet for you! Being immune suppressed is tricky, in other ways, but if it keeps your body from beating itself up, it's worth it right?

SITC, your description of your current rheumy is a riot - ("I'd rather be crosstitching!") but I'll bet you don't find it funny. I hope you find one who is more responsive to your needs. I'm afraid I'd be tempted to bonk your rheumy on the head with the heel of my hand and say "Hey...you coulda' had a clue..." Sheesh....

Jody

sits_inthe_corner
04-06-2008, 08:10 AM
:lol: Jody,

Actually I can laugh now cause I'm on my way to having a new rhuemy! Yah for me. I wonder if she ever reads the comments on the Rate Your Doctor web site....man she really get's bashed on that. I was the first person to have something nice to say about her. Hmmm should have been my first clue.

I wouldn't bother going back to post a nasty. There's enough on there already.

Oluwa
04-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Hey Morning Star...

Did you get spun in the web?

Goodness...just when you were feeling good. Good days, painless days, seems like a good weird, eh? Feels so great to be normal. When I feel like that, it is like I keen up and listen, and feel..is it really so I ask. I hope you have many, many more to come with Imuran.

We have some pretty ugly spiders, insects, centipedes and flying things down here. I take pictures for my icka collection. That reminds me I took a picture of this beautiful neon green butterfly/moth last week on my screen. I need to research it and see what it is..

My pain has diminished a whole bunches, but it leaves me feeling blank in the head..dull. And too much info seems hard to process. Like my mind has a wall in it...weird.

Praying good things for you..Morning Star
Head hug,
Oluwa

morning star
04-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm happy for you Owula, my bite looks worse today, but feels better, I work with a Dr and he said to keep a good eye on it, it has alot of bruising around it. I'm really dizzy today for some reason, my bursitis is acting up and kinda achy not to bad yet. Well gotta go for now :P

Oluwa
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
M. Star,

I hope that bite heals soon and your bursitis resolves...Lupus and it's cronies always after us, eh?

I researched and I found the green moth, currently as my avatar is a Luna Moth...Actias Luna. Very rarely seen because they only live one week. How cool and here he was on my screen porch window..Lucky me..

Hope you day will and is being good despite all that gunk...

Hugs..wishing all your aches heal..today, soon.
Hugs,
Oluwa

morning star
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Wow that's pretty cool. Well my bite looks alot better today hopefully I'm on the downhill slide now! My Rheumie told me to taper the Imuran some for awile til it gets better. A little achy today not bad, it's gonna rain and storm most of the week, guess that's why they call it April showers bring May flowers! Well talk to ya soon. :P

Oluwa
04-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Morning Glory,

How is Little Miss Muffets spider bite today?

Thinking of you...hope all is well or soon to be.
Hugs,
Oluwa

morning star
04-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Well my bite is all better!!! Quite a scare actually. Glad it's over. Pretty achy today again, see my Rheumie next Tues, wonder if she'll continue the Imuran, it's seems to have helped a little but I was expecting something to totally take away all the pain, guess we can ask for the whole bag of chips now can we. Ready for the weekend though, Hope your having a pain free day, have a good weekend! :wink:

Oluwa
04-11-2008, 02:34 PM
M. Star..

I am glad...who needs that when we contend with IT, eh? In pain still, and the Imuran hasn't work...doing too much?

Chips..but can you just eat one. I love a good Parmesan Cheese chip, like the ones they sell in a Gourmet Shop here. Gosh who makes'em...Humm. Healthiest chip I ate if there is such a thing...no preservatives or additives.

Yep, I am ready for the weekend. My husband lands tonight..around 9ish. Many chores outside that needs to be tended to. Everything just busted into green and the grass, long. And back wash the pool. Nothing fun, just things to do...unless someones gets shoved into the pool....and it won't be me...

And I do hope you have a painfree day, weekend, week..month.........

Be well..hugs,
Oluwa

sits_inthe_corner
04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
:) BBQ my first steak of the spring, :D and I had a glass of red wine :)

I loOOooOOooOve spring. Winter is the furthest away it's ever gonna be. Grass is just starting to turn green here too, I'm waiting for the cherry trees to bloom.

My back yard is a fruit bowl, I love it. Apples, pears, plums, cherries, blue berries, black berries, and raspberries.

mnjodette
04-11-2008, 04:32 PM
OK...now just QUIT teasing me with your talk of green grass and BBQ...it's just mean! We had 10 inches of snow whipped by 60mph winds - and it's not done yet. This weather is gonna' drive me to drink!
:drinking:

sits_inthe_corner
04-11-2008, 04:46 PM
We've got snow coming tomorrow :lol: so much for bragging!