PDA

View Full Version : Lupus Flare?

Gisèle
10-13-2007, 01:45 AM
I have been reading that there are symptoms that can indicate that a flare is coming soon. I thought that when you start noticing symptoms in lupus, you are considered in a flare? What does a flare feel like then?
Also, does anyone feel great one minute, but then unexpectadly the next minute they feel like they have the flu, joint pain everywhere, and a bad headache, and just want to sleep? And this can be a couple times a day, it's like I feel great part of the day, but then all of a sudden all of these symptoms hit me and I end up sleeping for a couple hours. Does anyone else feel like that? Is that a flare?

Morpheus
10-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Gisele,
I consistently get headaches throughout the day, And yes fine the one minute then just totally exhausted the next, And some joint pain here and there, but however I see this as just my normal daily lupus cycle.

Gisèle
10-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Thanks, Morpheus!! It's good to know that someone else out there experiences what I do.
I hope you feel better!

LAURIW
10-15-2007, 01:44 AM
hi Gisele,
oh yes, the joy of lupus :mad:
i agree with morpheus, i've just somehow learnt to accept that feeling good might not last all day, let alone a whole hour! it takes some getting used to, i tell u!
There are times when after feeling great when leaving home for work in the morning,( i travel by bus) I'm too exhausted to travel home and have to have my husband fetch me.
for me a flare is different to this, i'm not able to move without yelling in pain and i have a high fever, no apitite, a yucky taste in my mouth and just need to SLEEP, SLEEP and SLEEP! I've also noticed that it often starts with a sore throat though?

i have a wonderful support structure at home and at work, my hubby is amazing and wants me to rest all the time, which sometimes drives me crazy! my collegues are great and very supportive and understanding , they even have to tell me to take it easy sometimes.

but as you may have heard there are many different symptons and it affects all people differently.

good luck with sorting through this rough time :wink:

Hope you have a blessed week!

Gisèle
10-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks, Lauri, for sharing your experience with me!! :)
It's interesting that you mention it began with a sore throat...About two months ago when all my symptoms began, I had an awful sore throat, one of the worst I ever had, I couldn't eat, drink, talk, it hurt to even breath!! I went to the doctor, who said I had swollen lymph nodes, and my throat was red and inflamed. He gave me antibiotic pills and numbing mouth wash medicine to help with the pain. So, I took ONE pill and gargled some of the medicine, then I feel asleep for about an hour, and I woke up with very little sore throat pain. :o Then by the next morning, it mysteriously was gone. :?: And I know just taking one antibiotic wouldn't get rid of it that fast....
So confusing!

WantItGone
10-30-2007, 05:53 PM
hi Gisele,
oh yes, the joy of lupus :mad:
i agree with morpheus, i've just somehow learnt to accept that feeling good might not last all day, let alone a whole hour! it takes some getting used to, i tell u!
There are times when after feeling great when leaving home for work in the morning,( i travel by bus) I'm too exhausted to travel home and have to have my husband fetch me.
for me a flare is different to this, i'm not able to move without yelling in pain and i have a high fever, no apitite, a yucky taste in my mouth and just need to SLEEP, SLEEP and SLEEP! I've also noticed that it often starts with a sore throat though?

i have a wonderful support structure at home and at work, my hubby is amazing and wants me to rest all the time, which sometimes drives me crazy! my collegues are great and very supportive and understanding , they even have to tell me to take it easy sometimes.

but as you may have heard there are many different symptons and it affects all people differently.

good luck with sorting through this rough time :wink:

Hope you have a blessed week!

Although reading this makes me sad that you have all of this going on, it's so good to be able to relate so well. As I was just reading this paragraph, I'm thinking. . . this sums up my days to a tee! It's awesome to have somewhere to go where others share so many of the same symptoms, feelings, fears, etc.

Faith
10-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi Gisele,

You are not alone. I Ditto that too. I can feel fine for 2 hours and then suddenly I am not feeling well at all and very tired. Joint pain, definately can hit anytime; though usually in the afternoon unless I have walked more than 50 feet; then it hits anytime. When it rains, I feel as if I am walking on broken ankles.

I have had the sore throat too along with losing my voice at different times throughout the day. I often feel like I am trying to fight off a cold or flu; those days I just feel blah.

I hope you are feeling better and not so alone.

Take care,

Faith :?

luvwine2007
12-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Wow, this is amazing to find others that feel the same as me! That's how I feel a lot....like I'm fighting off the cold or flu, but never really get sick. The joint pain and general achiness is awful, and I seem to have that frquently. I will also get random sore throats, although I haven't had one in a while. I wish I would have started keeping a journal a long time ago.

I've also been confused about what defines a "flare". So it is noticeably different than day to day activities?

cheryl_v
12-15-2007, 10:26 AM
I haven't been dx with lupus, but have many of the symptoms and problems. I woke up today feeling worn down and then felt great for a little bit, now I'm exhausted and resting. Also my right foot just decided to swell up and feels as if being crushed. This too can last all day or just stop and be fine again. I too wondered if the rapid change in just one day could actually happen, or just me. Good question. I too agree that their is comfort in knowing others have the same issues, and somewhere to talk, rant, etc.
Hope everyone feels better!! :)

Faith
12-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi Luvwine 2007 & Cheryl V,

A flare is constant pain all day over a period of time. It could be a week, month, everyone is different. Weather changes don't help i.e. rain. It could be other symptoms and not joint pain only.

I have GERD and today it doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how little, can't keep anything down except tea. Food that wouldn't usually bother me, has my esophogus on fire. Other symptoms of Lupus/Fibromyalgia tend to rear it's ugly head from time to time and flare. What really seems to help is the flu shots, gammaglobin shots and not getting ill since it is tis the season.

I hope this info has helped and both of you ladies feel better soon.

Take care,

Faith

cheryl_v
12-16-2007, 08:26 PM
You poor thing, I hope you feel better soon too. :)

joakris
12-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow!!
I never knew that what i am feeling is normal! I get these weird sensations during the day like one hr i feel great and then within the next hr i want to take a nap ! I have been really trying to drink a lot of coffee and get as much as i can done when i feel good. but its hard because all of a sudden i feel like crap.. I too feel like i have a cold ( this happens more then i can count) but then by mid afternoon i dont feel like i have a cold? its weird... I am beiging to journal everything including what i eat and when, how i feel and how much advil i am taking to "feel " better.

Faith
12-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Cheryl_V,

I hope you are having a better day today. Thank you for the kind words.

Faith

cheryl_v
12-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Your Welcome Faith! :D

luvwine2007
12-18-2007, 02:20 PM
So GERD is another Lupus related problem? This is so strange...all these problems I've had over the past few years are starting to tie together. I've had a very sensitve stomach for a few years now. I can't take advil without horrible stomach cramps. Celebrex is much easier on my stomach. Lately I have had days like you Faith where it is heartburn city.

Thank you all so much for the information. I hope everyone is feeling good today!