PDA

View Full Version : GERD & Proviginl - Meds

Faith
10-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Hello,
Does anyone have any feedback on meds used for GERD? I was taking 20mg of Prilosec per day for GERD. Symptoms worsened, dr. put me on Reglan. Very tired in the morning; couldn't get up and going. What bothered me the most was I have constant tremors in the my hands, and felt very shaky inside. :( Looked up WebMD and noticed side effect is typically tremors similar to Parkinson's disease. Continued to look up heartburn meds and noted several have very nasty side effects. :oops:

Any suggestions ladies and gentlemen :?: I greatly appreciate it. One more question, does anyone take Provigil or the generic? Dr. just rx'd and I am really hoping I will get some energy.

Have an awesome and blessed day. :D

Take care,

Faith 8)

Oluwa
10-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Faith,

My testimony...I have GERD. I take Protonix 40mg once a day..works good for me and my esophagus was so bad, erosion, corrosion...my food gets stuck. I would even lose my voice. The flames radiated into my neck, under my sternum, into my jaw. It was so hot, it felt cold inside if you know what I mean. The pain was so intense. To put that type flame out, Protonix must be really, really good.

I am happy to be back on it...
Oluwa

Faith
10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi Oluwa, :D

It's good to hear from you again. How is everything going? I hope well. Thank you for responding on the Protonix; I will definately check that out. My concern is I don't want elevated sugars due to diabetes; and noted it increases sugar levels. I am so lost. I will check with dr.

I asked rhum dr asking if GI problems were a symptom of Lupus and received the response of "no, they are not." I thought they were; as I never had any of these problems until after a year or so of being diagnosed with Lupus.

So frustrated. Felt super after church, trimmed some vines, started having indigestion and then heartburn. Stopped trimming. That same night, sternum was swollen, painful to touch and hard with a ridge. Rhum said is was possibly costochrondritis and not Lupus related. ??? Didn't ask if it was Fibro related. Has anyone experienced this?
:oops:

Thanks for the ears and replies. Can it just all go away? Hand, arm and shoulder, and hip hurting; better stop typing. :cry:

Take care & God Bless,

Faith

Oluwa
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Faith,

I am doing very well..considering. I measure my wellness by my mental well being. Thank you for asking.

On the Protonix, increased blood sugar levels is unlikely..had you tested your levels while taking any pump inhibitors?

GERD I though it was directly related to Lupus too but after rethinking I think it isn't so much a symptom of Lupus, but perhaps the result of drugs like Naproxen..NSAIDS.

I am sure in some way having the disease we are predisposed to having these problems. I know I read somewhere along my trails of books that about 20% of SLE patients get peptic ulcers.

I just don't understand medical language, phrases..wording. Such as..it isn't apart of SLE however, it is seen in a large number of Lupus patients. Humm..is it or isn't it...gets me confused. Like what..huh? So, I guess what I thought I knew today..I find out tomorrow my interpretation of it is wrong..egads.

Costochrondritis. I've had that, but again like GERD I read it is frequently observed in lupus patients. It is also known as Tietze Syndrome. It was painful, like a heart attack I remember and like how I feel now. I didn't have a hard ridge or swelling when I was diagnosed with Tietze.

Right now I am trying to get a diagnose for left chest and back pain. I was thinking pericarditis. Rheumatologist says pleurisy, my PCP doesn't think so. Good heavens my head is spinning with what it could be.

I've had so much pain in my upper trunk lately. Protonix helped with the burning under my sternum and radiating up to my jaw and upper back pain. A cortisone shot in the rotary cuff helped the arm and shoulder pain...now the left chest and back I have to figure out. Chest x-ray on the calendar tomorrow. If nothing evolves from it. MRI next.

Gosh our pains can be a myriad of things. I hope you feel better soon. Maddening isn't. I pray and ask the pain goes away for all of us. It does wear on me mentally when it isn't manageable.

Enjoy the night,
Oluwa

Faith
10-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi Oluwa,
:D

I usually also measure wellness by my mental well being; it's been a rough week along with next to no sleep. Thank you for the ear and explaining. If I understand what is going on; it makes it easier.

Thank you for responding back. You are right in that I have read that a percentage of SLE patients get GERD. Thank you for the positive feedback; I really needed it. It really helped me out and also understand more. I never had a clue when first diagnosed that all the other health issues would arise. I try to take one day at a time.

I was on Reglan and I didn't check my blood sugar levels; I probably should have though hated the Parkinsons tremors. I control sugar levels by low carbs; didn't think of checking it. I will the next time I use it; thank you for mentioning it. I am very consistent with meals and it seems the GERD occurrs sometimes no matter what I eat. Could have had a plain chicken 1/2 sandwich yesterday and was fine. I can have same thing today; and indigestion, etc. comes up. There is not a rhyme or reason. Certain foods effect it; I eliminated them. Do you have to take Protonix every day or just as needed?

Costochrondritis. Is this serious? I need to look it up on webmd. I couldn't wear a regular bra due to pain; put on sports bra and that was even uncomfortable. 4 days later; still have ridge and spinchter is tender to touch still. Never had it before; it's interesting. Now area is yellow and bruised. hmm, life is an adventure.

I am sorry to hear about your upper trunk pain. It can be very frustrating and confusing when two dr's can't agree on a diagnosis. That is what I had with the Costochrondritis. I had left chest pain in early spring, rhum told me it was pleurisy; but I didn't have it in my upper back as you are experiencing. I couldn't image your pain. I am here if you need someone to talk to. :P I will keep you in my thoughts. I hope they can figure it out with an x-ray; and not have to have an MRI.

Legs itching. Hmm, I didn't itch until after I put clear nail polish on fingernails during morning hours when I couldn't sleep. Finally, had 3 hours sleep and then my legs were itching like you would not believe all day and tonight. I remember one other time when I had put clear nail polish on and noticed legs were red from itching. Took nailpolish off; hoping itching will go away.

You are right, our pain can be a myriad of things. hmm, I also had a flu shot Tuesday; that did not help and I think it triggered more pain. It is very maddening. Thank you for your kind thoughts and for caring.

I hope you feel better soon too. I pray with you and ask the pain to go away from all of us. Amen. I notice I am more grumpy; though honestly who wouldn't be!! Let me know about the x-ray.

Take care & God Bless,

Faith :)

Oluwa
10-12-2007, 06:01 AM
Faith,

Hope you are having a lovely morning...

That GERD is a tricky one when untreated. Like what you said one food one day and it wouldn't the next. For me, salt..is one, it causes great pain in my esophagus. The pain I would get is not like heartburn. There is so much acid corrosion down there, you can feel the rawness and the swelling. Then when the food gets stuck, it's like having a heart attack. Crazy, I even went to the ER because the pain mimics a heart attack.

I take Protonix once a day, at exactly the same time. That is very important, same time, to control it and allow the belly and esophagus to heal. Mine never seems to heal when I've stopped taking it. If I remember my reads, an 8 week dosing is needed for it to heal. The one before this, I was on it for 5 months and it immediatley came back.

My stomach sounds so loud digesting my food just by grinding it without acid. Sounds like a washer with just water in it, sloshing around and it echoes.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). It causes sharp pain in the costosternal joint where your ribs and breastbone are joined by rubbery cartilage. Pain caused by costochondritis may mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions.

Costochondritis is the most common cause of chest pain originating in the chest wall. It occurs most often in women and people over age 40. However, costochondritis can affect anyone, including infants and children.

Your doctor might refer to costochondritis by other names, including chest wall pain, costosternal syndrome and costosternal chondrodynia. When the pain of costochondritis is accompanied by swelling it's referred to as Tietze's syndrome.

Most cases of costochondritis have no apparent cause, and most go away on their own. This makes it difficult to treat. When there's no obvious cause, treatment is aimed at easing your pain while you wait for costochondritis to resolve on its own.

It did mention swelling, but not what area in this article. I would suspect at the joint and it maybe visible. I don't remember what drugs were used as treatment, but my guess I was on a NSAID. I seem to recall I was on an anxiety pill because the pain for me was so overwhelming, fearing a heartache...the anxiety increased the pain, stress and the like, you know.

Yellow and bruised...and swollen....humm. Is your sports bra now pressing on the area since the swelling is present to makeit bruised? I am large in the girls and my undergarment can put pressure on that area because the material is wide. I wish I could wear those average size bras. They have so many that are just adorable.

I am allergic to artifical nails. The powder that is used to make the plastic. I get hives and nose ulcers from breathing even the minute amount of dust. Nail polish contains a form of formaldehyde, look for polish that say hypoallergenic. They should be formaldehyde free. You may also be allergic to the nail polish remover. So, wash you feet afterwards and maybe rub a cortisone cream on the areas. If you don't have ay problems with allergy medicine, try Chlor-trimeton. I use it when I dose with Ultracet (Tramadol) to stop the itch.

Thank you for your caring words...and I hope today brings about wonderful feelings for you and not any Lupus surprises.

Have a really great day.
Oluwa

Oluwa
10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Faith..Hey,

Just checking in with you. Still in pain? Any answers as of yet? I prayed for it to be gone...is it? I hope you are enjoying life and not bundle in bed, feeling awful.

Sleep tight,
Oluwa

Faith
10-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Oluwa,

Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. Thank you for checking on me; I appreciate it. I am not in pain and the swelling is gone. I made up my mind to no more gardening. lol. Dr. said costchrondritis is from the Fibromyalgia. The sternum is a touch point of fibromyalgia. That is interesting.

Saw PCP and dr. switched meds and now on Provigil for the chronic fatigue. It lasts 3 1/2 hours and I am tired again. I noticed in the afternoon with Lupus fog (when tired) I put the peanut butter in the fridge and the jelly in the cabinet. It wasn't funny when I found it; but I can look back and almost laugh. Your prayers worked; thank you. The sternum pain is gone.

I now work part-time because of this disease, and feel guilty about it most days because of the Lupus/Fibro/Chronic fatigue and the financial strain; and then there are other days I am doing well just to get to work. I am soo tired and then the pain begins; knee, hips, after walking a short distance. After children come home from school, I am tired and needing a nap. No time for nap; I have to help with homework and then it's time to make dinner. I am sorry, I am whining. None of that!!

How are you feeling? Better, I hope. Did you have the MRI and what did the Dr. say or suggest? Is it Pleurisy? Did he prescribe anything for it? Is the pain gone? I hope you get some definate answers. I will be praying for you :P 8)
Please let me know what you found out. I am here if you need someone to listen; always.

I am headed for bed; falling asleep.

Take care,

Faith :D

Faith
10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Oluwa,

Just had to say, I love your icon. Not that I didn't think your icon with the bed wasn't cute.

Too cool.
Faith

Oluwa
10-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi Faith,

PB in the fridge and jam in the cabinet..did you butter your hand? It is funny, but scary when you first see it. I know the feeling. A deep pitted scare. Happy to know you find the humor. The other way causes stress. I laugh and call myself a dink when I do silly things of such nature.

Oh, don't feel guilty for having illnesses..thus resulting in part-time work. It is something. Taking it easy, could and can mean feeling better to have a full-time day. I have been fortunate in the finances. I invested heavily into stocks and into my 401(k), and turned a great profit on my last home, my home I owned before I was married.

I am not on disabilty, though an option. I retired early, quit working almost 8 years ago. With three surgeries my doctors have classified me as disabled. Two unsuccessful back surgeries. And even if I didn't draw a monthly annuity my husband provides well for us. And it being only two. So, indeed I am fortunate. I feel blessed and I am very thankful.

Though I no longer work, I would love to do volunteer work, but I feel so unpredictable and unreliable currently. I would just hate to go back on my word. Right now, monetary donations is all I can do.

I did my food bank shopping yesterday. They have three food drives during the holidays in my neighborhood, so I like to be prepared. And in May the USMail does one. I usually don't keep alot of canned goods for us, but they need non-perishables. So, I stock up on canned tuna, salmon, baby formula, baby food jars and cereal...and rice, beans, PB, vegetables, juices and etc.

Next year I am going to research and see if I can find a church, shelter or the like where one can just do walk in volunteer work. This area is so small compared to Seattle, I hope I can find something. Maybe I will create something.

I give the Mommys, you lots of applause that you still truck on with children, with your illness and work. I hope you don't stay down on yourself for not working a 40. Girl, you already do alot. Appreciate yourself. You may not give to family monetarily like you want to...but you give much more. Love, being there for your family. In the end...when all is said..family is it, eh? Cut corners on material things..they are disposable anyway...but family isn't. Enjoy and worry not...

Gardening is hard work. Mine has just begun, having a house built, our canvas ..yard was blank. It is great your pain and swelling has stopped. Will the Provigil last longer with time as dosing continues?

No MRI, gave me a cortisone shot in the shoulder. Helped with some of the spots that were in pain. But the stabbing is still there. Had two chest X-rays yesterday..waiting on the results. Forgot to ask when it will be. Despite having the now isolated pain..I feel great. Easy to contend with one item then 4 or 5. Still fatigued...bouts of nausea..but this is light compared to before.

I think we all feel the aches and pains daily, but it always seems one thing is always forefront. But this one is not enough to take me down, again.

Enjoy the day...
Oluwa

Faith
10-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi Oluwa,

It's good to hear I am not the only to misplace items during a Lupus fog. lol. I try to find the laughter.

I shouldn't feel guilty; but there are days that I do since I have always previously worked 40 hours. I know that I can't now; there's no way. I am happy to hear you were smart and invested wisely. That takes a lot of dedication!!

I am sorry to hear about the back surgeries. Are there any other alternatives? It seems like technology and medicine keeps advancing; I just wish it would move faster with Lupus. I think volunteer work is a great idea; and have often thought of it myself but didn't commit for the same reason; what if?

It sounds like you really help out with food drives, that is awesome. I want to do the same with our church. Many churches always need volunteers. Where are you located? You mentioned it was smaller than Seattle? I take it you lived there previously?

Thank you for the pep talk about Mommys, etc. I really try; probably too much. As in the gardening; I should have stopped immediately upon heartburn; I learned an important lesson. Now I know what to do.

Having a house built; is not a piece of cake. Wow, what an endeavor. Provigil will more than likely decrease less over time. It won't last longer as time continues. Whew, hire a gardener to do all that hard work. I would.

Why did they not do an MRI; I don't understand. Well, as you are getting relief with the cortisone shot in hte shoulder. I am glad you are feeling better; now I just hope you are feeling better. Are you?

Thank you.

Take care & God Bless,

Faith 8) :D

Oluwa
10-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi Faith,

How are you doing?

Yep, I used to live in Seattle now I am near Charleston, SC. Oh about a 30 minute drive from the coast. 15 miles west of. One would think Charlston a well known city, international airport would be a metropolis but really it isn't. Historic.

Guilt it is hard on the heart and soul. Instead on those days when guilt seems to seep in, maybe do something extra special for your family that involves quality fun, fun time. Depending on the age and gender, but a few ideas..girls slumber party with you and the girls, doing nails and hair...buys bake some treats and watch movies..something on those lines. Laying around in a heap on the floor with pillows and reading is fun. Order food in.

Back surgery. At the time there were no alternatives except to have none at all. I was in too much pain. Did the conservative therapy. Nadda. I had two lumbar and one cervical. I am thinking my current pain just maybe another herniated disc at the thoracic level.

He didn't want to do an MRI because he asked..if it is a herniated disc, would you have the surgery this year? No. He suggested, for my insurance co-pay and deductible I wait to add it to the bill for next year. Save out of pocket expense. I am for saving. But I added, I would feel better if I knew.

My x-ray revealed nothing in the lungs. Great, truly. We are going to proceed with an Echocardiogram, perhaps my heart. He thinks costochondritis though. It sure doesn't feel like it to me. I feel pressure in my chest, not at the joints of the sternum, pain in my upper spine at the vertebra which radiates into the shoulder blade. All symptoms of a herniated disk and somewhat like pericarditis.

My doctor's office just called. Appointment for the Echo and AVI (blue feet) on November 7. Come to think of it..that is a long wait...Humm.

We did hired a landscaper, to install one long bed with mature trees. To keep peering eyes out. Neighbors. Gladys Kravitz type. Since then we added more trees, more shrubs, along the back and etc. I have more I just purchased waiting to be planted. Maybe this weekend. We can handle the small ones, but when we are ready to have the palms planted we will hire.

Having a house built, an inground pool install, I think that greatly contributed to my last flare as well. Since all has settle down considerably, so has this flare.

Finding ways to handle, managed the stress, changing my cognitive behaviors, the way I react I believe greatly keeps the Lupus at bay. I notice a huge difference.

I am going to see what I can get into today as mine has just started. Hope Lupus and Fibro gives you a rest today.
Oluwa