PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro or Cymbalta? Which pill to pop?

Oluwa
10-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey...anyone, you...I was wondering if anyone is dosing with Lexapro or Cymbalta?

And any side effects?

Results?

Recommend it? Which one? Why?

It has been suggested I take it and I wanted to know a bit about it from your experience with it...please share if you can. Thank you very much.

Praying we all find our wellness,
Oluwa :sleeping:

Oluwa
10-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Really...no one taking anti-depressants of the 20 some who popped in?

Goodness, maybe I need to see a shrink wrapper..
:crazyeyes: Oluwa

Saysusie
10-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Guess not huh? Or, maybe no one is taking the two that you were wondering about????
Would you like me to research them for you?

Saysusie

Oluwa
10-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Thank you, no Saysusie. Thank you for asking. I was hoping I could get a personal perspective of someone who is using them and I was trying to be silly with my second post.

And how are you today?
Oluwa

Saysusie
10-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm good, thanx! I'm sorry you did not get any responses :(
I got your humor even if no one else did :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

bonnie
10-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Wanted to try out the Cymbalta...took 60mg for about 3 months...some pain relief but I had really miserable side effects...sweating (lots), felt really sleepy and ill for first few days, stopped pooping and sleeping. The lack of sleep thing was really awful for me, but i guess the increased energy was nice during the day. All the studies say that it is very effective for a lot of us lupus people but the effectivness seems to decrease after 3-6 months and increasing the dosage usually helps for a bit but not for long. Coming off the stuff was really rough though, who knew antidepressants had withdrawl issues.

This is just my experience, I tend to be really sensitive to meds, and these drug effect everyone differently. My husband takes 40mg for depression and it has been life changing for him. He feels a little dizzy and speedy on it sometimes and does get night sweats but he's been on it for 6 mo. and it's still very effective for him.

It can't hurt to try, it's in the process of being tested for lupus and will probably be the first FDA approved drug for lupus pain. I'm glad I tried it but sad it wasn't for me. I might try Lyrica since I have fibromyalgia, I also want to try the UVA1 light therapy ( read "lupus underground" a book by a journalist with lupus) it seems very promissing for lupus joint pain, depression and especially fatigue.

hope this helps

the_librarian
10-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Oluwa -

I didn't see this question until today. I can't remember if we talked about this in the other post, but I took Lexapro for a short period of time (3 months?) I thought it did a great job. I have never been able to take antidepressants before and this one really worked to ease my tension and mood swings. Of course I'm off it now, but it was good while it lasted.

For what it is worth, coming off of it is a bit odd. When I came off of it, I had what I can only describe as little electric shocks that felt like my brain stuttered. I talked to my GP and he said this is a really common side effect of coming off. I was only ever on 10 & 15 mg/day, so not even that much of it.

Cymbalta is something that my rheumatologist recommended as long as I'm not going to get pregnant (we are therefore waiting on the Cymbalta) We did not discuss mood swings at all in this instance. She said Cymbalta has either just been approved to treat Fibromyalgia or is about to be approved for FMS. (I might be mixing this up with another medication she told me about...Lyrica?...One is approved, one about to be approved.)

Ashley

Sarah258
10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
I take lexapro 20mg have been for almost a year, i started at 10mgs, and didn't feel much difference other than no sex drive... but not much of one when you never feel well- it's not sexy. anyhoo, i feel ok on it, it has helped with the depression i also take valium, only when i absolutely need it, to sleep usually. i was told by pcp to try cymbalta, i didn't know about the pregnancy thing till i just read the above. we would like to have a baby sometime sooner than later. anyways, i say lexapro works, and doesn't have too many side effects, but i agree that if you run out or stop taking it, it is an odd withdrawl process

Faith
10-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Hi Oluwa,

How are you doing today? I hope you are feeling better and not have so much pain. :D

I also got your humor; loved it!!! Though, I have never taken either med so I am not much help there.

Take care,

Faith 8)

Oluwa
10-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Thank you, thank you everyone for all input...every bit helps...

Hey Faith,
I'm doing pretty good, thank you for asking. Pain has subsided bunches. Faint in the chest. Still sharp in the spine. I have an echocardiogram and AVI, whatever that is for my blue feet. I just know AVI as a downloadable file for imaging. Doctor used the word ultrasound.

For now, my depression seems to have came and exited. I think it makes its appearance when I am drowing in pain.

Hi Ashley,
Yep AB, you did mention you took Lexapro in the other thread a few days back...thanks for replying again to me.

Hi Sarah,
And how are you these days. I responded to your email weeks back. New apartment? new job? How goes life?

Hello Bonnie,
I was thinking taking a spin with the Cymbalta but night sweats..humm. I have already been sweating extremely at night, and it wakes me up. Cause unknown. I am drenched from head to toe these past few nights. I was do dehydrated the other night from perspiring I had spasms in my sciatic leg. So I may have to rethink about using Cymbalta.

Thank you oodles again,
Oluwa

Oluwa
10-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I took the plunge...Cymbalta. I just popped my first one this afternoon. Thanks again everyone.

I'll keep looking for my wellness even if it is in another pill...ugh.
Oluwa

mlarie
12-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Just wondered how the cymbalta is working for you. I took it for three days at 60 mg. per day and it was the most awful experiance ever! I'm very sensitive to meds anyways. I would recommend Lyrica if you have trouble with the cymbalta, it's really helped my leg pain and insomnia. Good luck!

Oluwa
12-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Mlarie,

The Cymbalta, at first..not so good. Tired even after a nights sleep. Constant yawning. Eyes glazed, pupils the size of nickles. Irritable. Felt like rubber. In a fog. Unable to concentrate and when it felt like it was lifting I had to increease from 30mg to 60mg.

Then the side effects doubled in size. Wanting to stop dosing but I didn't. Day after day the same side effects. Felt like it was never going to end.

Woke up one morning, the other day actually...tired, exhausted. One more day I said to myself. Went down for my morning nap and woke up anew. Just like that, within hours. I went over the hurdle. Weird.

After so many weeks of feeling pooie...and then to feel like all is normal you forget the ugly mental and physical side effects, the feeling, from it.

I am happy I stuck it out and with my tummy mess I am doing alright.
Oluwa

Hey Ashley.. on my prescription information it says do not take during the third trimester.

Love,
Oluwa

Oluwa
01-06-2008, 03:27 AM
I have reconsidered my recommendation on Cymbalta...

Very mentally and physically mind altering. To be of such, it can't possibly be good in long term. Perhaps a short term drug.

After upping the dose...the leap over the hurdle didn't last. When I posted I must had been in mid-air. I have since landed. Left feeling like an amoeba on the ocean floor. Just there.

I stopped dosing, results headaches, flu like symptoms, slept for 2 days, extremely moody when awake, blurry vision, nausea for 5 days...gee sounds like Lupus, eh...

Today back to my usual Lupus self...

New Years resolution. Denial. Deny I ever met Lou and his cronies. Set up for failure...yep. I'll settle for a long term intermission.

redlily14
01-29-2008, 09:33 AM
I have actually been on both Cymbalta and Lexapro.

I am currently on Lexapro 20mg per day. I have been on it for over a year now and I am very satisfied with it. The only side effect I have is a very low sex drive.

I feel "normal" now. No obsessive thoughts or anxiety/panic attacks. I haven't had a panic attack in just about a year now.

Cymbalta had too many side effects for me. My heart was racing and sexually I was KAPUT!

I second the warning about the withdrawel effects. If I forget to take Lexapro for more than a day I am in a brain fog and I get these "popping" and "zinging/zapping" brain zaps. Not fun!

Suzique
01-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Oluwa,
For a while, no responses. Now, tons of responses. Go figure.
I didn't see this until now, either.
I took Cymbalta for a full year. Had all the horrible side effects mentioned, but persisted in the hopes of getting some relief, both from the depression and the stinging, burning of my extremities (I get blue, swollen feet, too; my hands swell and get red). Never really got much relief from it, so I suffered through withdrawal (4 months ago). Now I am taking Neurontin. It also has an antidepressant or mood balancing effect, and it soothes the nerves that spark and cause such discomfort. I like it very much. It took a while to adjust to the "sleepiness" it caused, but I am good, now. Don't know about Lexapro - others seem to have had good experience with it.
Also, something to improve the peripheral circulation might help. They also dose me with Cardiazem (Diltiazem) to promote better blood flow. This has helped tremendously with the swelling.
So good to hear you are somewhat better. Hope the improvement continues. Please let us all know how your tests come out. We have a vested interest in keeping you well, since you are such an interesting writer!
Cyber hugs!
Susan

Oluwa
01-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Suzique,

Your last statement made me smile..I needed that. Thank you.

Today they cored through my shin, a biopsy was being done. Wild... it looked like a double color erasure with a chicken skin round atop. (Haven't seen the sun in 6 years, white) I said, ooooo look at that, all the layers, even the fat. My doc, said, You are too hard on yourself. Nope, I just find it interesting I said with big eyes and a gaping hole... it looks like a mouse size sliced layered cake. I am what I am...and I thought who said it has to be nice...I can be awful too....reality....chuckle. Two stitches...now the hole is gone.

Steroid cream for the hinder...still waiting on the peewee quiz and blood test.

And if I believed in Voodoo. I would get a clump of my husband's hair...fill his sock with his underwear, pull and tug to create arms, legs and a head. Glue gun the hair to the head and stick it. Stick it with hat pins and not sewing pins.

I got the Mean Woman Blues,
Oluwa

Faith
01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Oluwa,

I have the electrical zingers in different places; it seems to move though I am not on any meds for it yet (please, not another one to add to the 10 plus list). Suzique is right, we need to keep you well.

I am sorry that you were cored; I have had my back and shoulders cored several times and it is by no means fun. It reminded me of the bundt pan my mom used to use to make birthday cakes. Eeeck!!

I soo craved a banana today . . . . so I stared until it called my name, and slowly peeled the skin back. Okay, I slowly ate one-half and threw the rest of it in the trash. It's not going to be a good night as I am paying for it, again, and again. :evil:

Good old Gerdie was present last night and again is present and alive rearing her ugly head; no more bananas for me ever again. :oops:

Faith

Faith
01-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Susan,

I couldn't help but see your post about Neurontin. When you talk about nerves that spark I take it you mean the electrical zingers that come and go? What are they attributed to? Lupus? nerve damage? FM? I get them occasionally and I really hope it stays that way.

See you on the island . . . . .

Faith 8)

Faith
01-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Oluwa,

I am sending you cyber hugs :wink:

Let us know what your results are and keep us updated. I am sorry as I forgot to add that to my previous post.

Take care of yourself.

Faith :)

Oluwa
01-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Faith...

Thank you...

I have a thought regarding my recent title, H. Pylori....I have an inkling, once it is eradicated maybe my GERD will disappear....hummm. Have you ever been tested for it? Check it out. I am hoping it will end my belly blues...

Night, night,
Oluwa aka Gerdie...

misslisa1017
01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Oluwa,

Those electric zingers, I get them in my head :(

Iv'e had a stroke too...yikes, they say a migraine may have triggered it. who knows for sure, I lost eye sight, thankfully not all of it.

I get the zingers in my legs too now and sometimes in my arm, elbows into wrists. Mostly legs thoug...pinching pains. Hate it. No one has ever told me what it was though.

Oluwa
02-03-2008, 11:25 PM
MissLissa,

I've read about those head zingers...I can't even imagine what they may feel like.

I think I will stay away from anti-depressants for a spell. Xanax helps when needed, not habitual. The killing of my spirt, takes it toll. Today it is has been up despite what Lupus assaults us with.

Do you think you may have Restless Leg Syndrome? It can affect the other limbs too. I have it....I jerk accompanied by a constant ache in the calves when it acts up. Times it is daily for weeks on end..then oh, about once every ten days. Lately it has made its present less frequently.

When it happens, I flex my foot upward, tighten my legs or wrap them around each other and rock them till I fall asleep. Used to do Requip but the less drugs I feel is better for me in the long run.

I am sorry that you had a stroke. It must have been very hard for you. Did you recovery fully except the vision?

Have wonderful week....

Be well,
Oluwa

misslisa1017
02-04-2008, 05:14 AM
That's the main thing I lost Oluwa, was my vision. I thought I was only having a migraine.

No numbness, no tingling no paralyisis. None of that. I was walking, talking and all of that fine. So I am lucky. I get tingling now off and on in my limbs but it's hard to say if it's from the stroke or if it's from the meds i'm on. I'm on antiseizure meds for migraines and the stroke so it's hard to tell.

Thanks for responding

Lisa