PDA

View Full Version : Interesting advice from a nurse

misslisa1017
10-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi everyone

I was at the doctors office last week, because on top of everything else I'm going through I had a flare of my bronchitis. Lucky me huh? Anyway, while I was waiting for the doctor to come in, this nurse was asking me why I was on the meds I was on.

I explained to her that I was being treated for a connective tissue disease, she says like lupus? I tell her yes. Like that. She says to me, but you are already over 40. People with lupus only live to 38. I said, "REALLY?"

She went on to tell me that lupus only hits young girls at very young ages and then kills them. I was so sick of her lecture after 5 minutes but I was good. I kept my mouth shut lol.

How do you guys deal with people like this?

I wanted to tell her she was totally clueless...and this woman was a nurse if you can beleive it and she wasn't that old. So go figure. I was just shocked that a health person was so clueless...

Thanks for listening

Lisa

Razzleberry
10-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Wouldn't the correct thing to do in this situation be to immediately inform your doc about his nurse and her "advise and lectures"? First of all she shouldn't be providing any info about anything health related to patients. She doesn't have the knowledge (obviously in this case!) and I'll bet the doc knows nothing about what she's doing. She's there to do the blood pressure etc and get the basic facts for the doc and nothing more. Imagine the harm she could do if someone unknowingly follows her wrong advise about something else ...or imagine how devastating it could be to some new lupus patient, who doesn't know any better, to hear that!!

misslisa1017
10-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi Mrs Murdena

Thanks for the reply. I think that is exactly what I'm going to do today. Inform the doctors office of what advice she gave out. It's sad, because she's really a friendly person, but her advice was horrible.

Gisèle
10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
:shock: Oh my goodness!! What nerve of her! She needs to learn the facts. Either way, if she is offering this "advice" to other patients and scaring them, she needs to be told about that. No one wants to be told that kind of information, especially when it's not even true. I agree and would definitely tell your doctor about her. Good luck!

Moxie
10-09-2007, 12:39 PM
One of my doc's office staff did something similar to me. I hated going for my appointments because I knew she would pounce as soon as I got through the door.

Other staff members began to pick up on the one-way conversations and reported the situation to the doctor.

Long story short, the doc fired the offending staff member. He told me several patients had complained that they were being harrassed. My doc said he had no idea what was going on in the reception area while he was seeing patients in the back.

mnjodette
10-10-2007, 06:23 PM
My goodness! What colossal nerve...and ignorance...and from a member of the health care community. I'm not surprised, though. There is so much ignorance out there about lupus (all auto-immune diseases, I think) even among those who should know better. Yes, please DO blow the whistle on this character...even if she is friendly. She could do some real damage.

hatlady
10-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Nerve and ignorance! I wasn't dx'd until 50! So I guess I'm many years past the grave.

Hmmm...maybe THAT explains the cold hands and feet! It isn't Raynaud's after all! :roll:

Let us know what your doc says when you tell him about this misinformed problem child.

Missy
10-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Ummm - woaw........I'm not even sure what I would do in that situation. I am curious if she was an actual RN or maybe a Medical Assistant, which wouldn't have that much info (nor should be giving it!!!!).

I hope this situation gets solced in a way that is satisfying. I truly believe that people deserve constructive criticism. I would want to know if I was truly misinformed and I should be corrected if I am just be a snotty know-it-all (that doesn't really know anything)!